Is there anyone who actually likes the HTC U Ultra?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've watched and read a bunch of reviews on the HTC U Ultra from various sources, including Android Central and a bunch of others.

Is there anyone out there who actually likes this phone??

Everyone and their mother is panning this phone, owing to its subpar battery life, lack of an audio jack without proper reasoning and its high price.

I'm struggling to wonder if anyone out there actually likes it. This is not good for HTC.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure yes, I just can't really understand why... But it's important for people to like what they like.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Three things I see constantly HTC doing it wrong recently:

- Pricing it high
- Lackluster camera
- Battery capacity

I think if they can balance all the three, you would see some folks starting to like HTC branded phones.

That said, I do like their HTC Sense though.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I love the look and build of the Ultra especially in the sexy Blue that a lot of the reviewers have used on YouTube.

The lack of wireless charging , headphone jack and IP68 is a huge turnoff for a so called flagship priced this high ???

Not having one or even two of the above priced at about $500 may be acceptable imho ?

Plus ..... HTC announcing that they'll release another flagship later this year makes one scratch his or her head ?!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just skimmed Andrew's review. I am somewhat inclined to agree with Diehard. This almost seems to have been priced out of itself. At $750, this just seems to fall short.

I'm probably going to sound like a broken record here, but I don't want HTC to fail. I don't want any OEM to fail because I don't want my future smartphone choice to be a Samsung or an Apple and that's it. However, this is not anywhere near a step in the right direction.

The blue is really pretty though.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm probably going to sound like a broken record here, but I don't want HTC to fail. I don't want any OEM to fail because I don't want my future smartphone choice to be a Samsung or an Apple and that's it. However, this is not anywhere near a step in the right direction.
I think nobody here wants to see HTC die off, especially since they've historically contributed quite a bit in their history, from the HTC HD2, which is still a modding legend, to the T-Mobile G1, the first commercially-available smartphone powered by Android.

We also can't forget the ReZound, the Evo 4G and the original HTC One, the M7.

Seeing HTC constantly stumble is really sad to see. They almost got their mojo back with the HTC 10, and while the Bolt/10 Evo didn't seem to be that great, it did at least bring water-resistance to the table.

The U Ultra is just extremely questionable. What is the purpose of this device? What's with all the decisions? Why is it so expensive? This just makes it hard to keep rooting for HTC because it just seems like everytime we wish for them to release something great that will put it back on the map, they just constantly stumble on their feet.

HTC is an OEM that's very dear to my heart, but this is really depressing.

I know that this is going to sound extremely harsh, but it's almost as if HTC is better off had this phone never left the planning stage. The amount of panning and negativity over this phone is just really depressing.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Not for $750.

The lack of headphone jack and wireless charging, small battery for a big phone, front fingerprint sensor and camera hump makes the U Ultra a subpar flagship. I'd rather have the OnePlus 3T.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Anyone think that price cut promos for this phone will be coming out real soon?

Given the rather tepid response, seems like that's inevitable.

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Anyone think that price cut promos for this phone will be coming out real soon?

Given the rather tepid response, seems like that's inevitable.

My guess is that it will. This should have been a 599-649 launch to even consider being competitive. It's outdated already and the s8 hasn't even launched yet. Any appeal that it did have will be pretty much wiped out. That, and from what I know, HTC is supposed to be releasing another phone in the near future - the 11? So... Why buy it?

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It also failed miserably in JerryRigEverything's testing. The phone has failed in almost every category possible. HTC really needs to think about this one. Hopefully they can learn something from all of this.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I read reviews for its smaller, cheaper sibling, the U Play. They're not pretty.

I think the U line as a whole is looking like a big flop. The U Ultra is constantly panned for its insane price while the U Play is also panned for performance issues and battery life..... and the price.

In the United Kingdom, the HTC U Play costs the same as a 64GB OnePlus 3T. If it ever goes Stateside and it's over $400, it's DOA.

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I like the phone, but not the price tag. It's entirely too much and it doesn't impress when compared to it's competition. It should be much cheaper.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Thought it was a pretty phone but that price tag was too high. It seemed like HTC just said let's make a phone that looks as beautiful as possible & charge a lot of money because it looks pretty

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
My wife had the M7 & M8. Both very good phones​. I always thought I'd own an HTC device somewhere down the line, but I'm beginning to doubt that. I have a G5 and the Honor 8. I'm skipping the G6 this year, the 821 just isn't enough to warrant another device payment and I'm pleased with both phones. Kinda waiting for a Pixel in the fall but I'm keeping my options open. The GS8 is on my radar. I'd love to say an HTC device is as well, but I simply can't say that and that kinda makes me sad.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well if someone GAVE me one I would use it, but it's unlikely I would ever buy or trade for one! lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21