What can we do better around here?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Open thread for any volunteer that wants to reply!

In our never ending quest to get better, wanted to ask some simple questions to the incredible volunteers we have here at Android Central.

What can we do better around here? What works/doesn't work? Is there anything that'd make your life easier or more fun when posting in the forums?

I value your feedback. Negative, positive, doesn't matter!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Give us a way to buy out of having ads displayed. When they move the screen, it can make us make more mistakes and cause frustration both with us and potentially with other users.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Bring back the volunteer spotlight (unless it still exists and I'm blind). Got lots of new people we can show some love for.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am going to piggy back on his comments about the ads... Sometimes we have to drop into the mobile web page to do some tasks and some of the ads, in particular the ad overlays and the fact that a rendered ads causes the contents of the screen to sometimes shift right around at random... it can get extremely frustrating.

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
The ask a question needs to be expanded so they have to include device name so people can attempt to help.

A lot of the questions are so vague it takes a ton of follow up which they can only do if they create an account which only happens sometimes.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The ask a question needs to be expanded so they have to include device name so people can attempt to help.

A lot of the questions are so vague it takes a ton of follow up which they can only do if they create an account which only happens sometimes.

To piggyback on this one, we should have some automated process that adds the device name to a thread title, if it isn't detected in the user created thread title.

Example 1

Usergiven title: "How much will it be on T-Mobile?"
Forum = Galaxy S8, keywords = Galaxy S8, S8, S8+
New Title: "Galaxy S8: How much will it be on T-Mobile?"
Reason: No keyword detected

Example 2
Usergiven title: "Is the S8 going to have an awesome camera?"
Forum = Galaxy S8, keywords = Galaxy S8, S8, S8+
New Title: (No change)
Reason: Keyword detected

Example 3
Usergiven title: "Anyone switching to the S8?"
Forum = Nexus 6P, keywords Nexus 6P, 6P
New Title: "Nexus 6P: Anyone switching to the S8?"
Reason: No keyword detected

This is an easy fix (I think) and I would be happy to help define logic and keywords.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
More contests along the line of the Honor contest, where participation is required, and forum engagement is what counts, NOT just luck of the draw. I agree with the volunteer spotlight on the blogs lets bring that back, AND also spotlight regular members also! Something else I miss the reader choice awards, best apps, best phone, favorite mod, favorite blogger, etc I know we have done these in various forms over the years and with and withOUT member participation, BUT maybe we are due for one?

Anyways just food for thought!

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@Aquila - see the S8 and S8+ forums. We've added this to help folks self identify if their thread is related to a carrier (AT&T, T-Mo, etc). Sort of along the same lines of what you're talking about.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
@pkcable - member participation eh? We can do that!

Samsung, might be a good candidate, being as they need good press right now AND they have a brand new device releasing, and of course other forward thinking phone companies like honor/huawei example OnePlus. Of course OnePlus has a lively forum of their own, BUT they LOVE doing contests and such and I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't work with us. :)

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Samsung, might be a good candidate, being as they need good press right now AND they have a brand new device releasing, and of course other forward thinking phone companies like honor/huawei example OnePlus. Of course OnePlus has a lively forum of their own, BUT they LOVE doing contests and such and I don't see why they couldn't/wouldn't work with us. :)

Definitely a great idea and it's virtually their own focus group on the forums. Seems like a win win.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
@Aquila - see the S8 and S8+ forums. We've added this to help folks self identify if their thread is related to a carrier (AT&T, T-Mo, etc). Sort of along the same lines of what you're talking about.

Like it. That prefix option is also available on Tapatalk for that forum, which is awesome. What happens if they don't select one? Could we then automatically read the title, and if it doesn't include "S8" add "Galaxy S8" as a prefix?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pretty cool feature

27495a0dab86b96ab29efe38fcff5e63.jpg

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Michael here. I have a few comments and a suggestion.

From what I understand, Trusted Members will get a title displayed next to their name in the forums. Is this correct?

A lot of people access the forums via Tapatalk. Tapatalk shows an icon for some moderators, but not all. Can you fix it so all volunteers have an icon next to their username in Tapatalk?

I believe that all volunteers should have some sort of icon, or what have you, next to there name. This is out if recognition and respect.

For example, B. Diddy has no icon whatsoever next to his name, he definitely should! SpookDroid, nobody would know he is an Ambassador unless they were on a web browser or went to the right forums and read about him, which a lot of people do not. Nobody would know that belodion is a part of the Q&A team, an Ambassador and a Moderator. The list goes on. Can you make it so these people and all other volunteers are recognized in Tapatalk accordingly?

Can you also do the same for the new Trusted Members that just got on board?

I hope that you find this a reasonable request and that it can be accomplished.

Michael

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Michael here. I have a few comments and a suggestion.

From what I understand, Trusted Members will get a title displayed next to their name in the forums. Is this correct?

A lot of people access the forums via Tapatalk. Tapatalk shows an icon for some moderators, but not all. Can you fix it so all volunteers have an icon next to their username in Tapatalk?

I believe that all volunteers should have some sort of icon, or what have you, next to there name. This is out if recognition and respect.

For example, B. Diddy has no icon whatsoever next to his name, he definitely should! SpookDroid, nobody would know he is an Ambassador unless they were on a web browser or went to the right forums and read about him, which a lot of people do not. Nobody would know that belodion is a part of the Q&A team, an Ambassador and a Moderator. The list goes on. Can you make it so these people and all other volunteers are recognized in Tapatalk accordingly?

Can you also do the same for the new Trusted Members that just got on board?

I hope that you find this a reasonable request and that it can be accomplished.

Michael

Yeah this is a good point. Id have to think a good majority of people are using one app or another which doesn't display most of these titles.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even think of the Android Central app. I don't use it, so I am not sure what it displays. It should also show icons, emojis or whatever they are called in this case☺

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I didn't even think of the Android Central app. I don't use it, so I am not sure what it displays. It should also show icons, emojis or whatever they are called in this case☺

I didn't think of the app either. I have AC bookmarked on my phone.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It has already been mentioned in another forum, but I wanted to bring it up here as well.

I think merging of the S8 & S8+ forums is a very good idea for many reasons.

The Pixel & Pixel XL share the same forum and the S8 & S8+ should follow suit.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It has already been mentioned in another forum, but I wanted to bring it up here as well.

I think merging of the S8 & S8+ forums is a very good idea for many reasons.

The Pixel & Pixel XL share the same forum and the S8 & S8+ should follow suit.

Agree 100%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol