Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can you do a real theme on Android?

Can you do a real theme in Android?

So far the only way I know to do anything like a theme on an Android is to use one of the "homepage replacement" apps like Panda or aHome. Then you lose HTC Sense.

I am not talking about a ROM. I am not wanting to replace everything and the kitchen sink (kernel). And then hide from every update.

I just want to be able to replace the Android standard app icons. I want to be able to replace the black and white topbar icons with color icons. Why isn't the battery icon color-coded to show remaining percentage. No, I do not want widgets; I want to fix the topbar icons. Why does Android think it's topbar can be nothing more than an iPhone copy?

The easy themes are one thing I miss about the Palm Pre. I could effortlessly remake the standard icons and make the topbar be color-coded.

I cannot find real theming anywhere like the webOS PreThemer.com or Theme Builder.

The Wallpapers, Ringtones, and Themes forum is really just a wallpaper forum. Is that because no one has figured out how to do real theming in Android yet?

I mean no offense to the various homepage apps, ROMs, and widgets. I just want full theme control like I took for granted with webOS.

Is there any way to do this in Android?
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

ROM
    Stock

yes, its possible.
    Here is an example. Check out the screen shots.
    [ROM] Buufed 2.0.1 (06/24/10) | Overclocked + JIT + fully themed! Now w/ Updater! - xda-developers
    This one has removed most of what you would call sense, but the same can be done with sense. Like:
    [ROM] New! Aloysius 2.1 (6-1) | OC/JIT - FriendStream - Snow Edition - Helix - Color! - xda-developers

you're not going to be able to customize the notification bar without rooting. You dont necessarily need to install a custom ROM to do it either. You can do it all yourself. And changing standard icons is as simple as downloading Bettercut from the market. As for the notification bar you're going to have to pull the framework-res.apk and change/modify the images yourself, which can be scary, but isn't all that difficult.

Oh, that's awesome! But I think for using the theme, maybe you have to wipe up your phone. That costs too much for just want a theme.

I might be wrong because I haven't tried it but I think you can just use metamorph. But you have to have root to use it.

If you root, the theming possibilities are pretty numerous.