Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question How safe are Android launchers and which developers do you trust?

Been using BuzzLauncher lately and wondering how safe they are. Not really a fan of Go Launcher. Seems like they have a hard time speaking english when replying on comments for there launcher on the Play store. I know BuzzLauncher is a Korean developer and permissions for the app allow them to see text messages. Has anyone ever had problems with them or any other launchers in terms of privacy?

Default Re: How safe are Android launchers and which developers do you trust?

Welcome to Android Central! I would guess that most if not all launchers have access to text messages, because they may have features like an unread message badge, or perhaps an included widget for messaging.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! I would guess that most if not all launchers have access to text messages, because they may have features like an unread message badge, or perhaps an included widget for messaging.
    I understand that part I'm more going after privacy. Like do developers of these launchers that require access to text messages for things to work with the launcher snoop around through private things?

I highly doubt it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I highly doubt it.
    I think I may have put this thread in the wrong category just realized there was a security one. I've done a little research about Go launcher and found some pretty weird things about it data mining and sends packets to a chinese server.

Yes, the Security forum is a good place to discuss this. Keep in mind that there's a lot of data mining going on everywhere--but mostly for ad dollars. But a healthy dose of caution is never a bad idea.