Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

Need help, finally switched to the S3 from my wonderful Sprint Pre2 and very disappointed. I would like to have one program to access all my emails and one program to access all my calendars but I read android can't handle that. Webos did that easily and showed all the folders for each account. Anyone care to help?

And what's with all these ads? Should I have gone to iOS? Yuck

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

ANyone? That's what I thought...

I've had webos devices from the pre plus to pre 2 and pre3 still have my touchpad. Now I have a gs4 but i miss alot of what webos did.

The stock email app on the gs4 is ok. I imagine it is similar on the gs3.what I hate is that Gmail does not get push email in the stock app. Lame. Other than that it's fine. I use the Gmail app for Gmail and then stock app for all others. What are you looking for that the stock email app doesn't do? And what are you specifically looking for the calendar to do?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    ANyone? That's what I thought...
    Google controlling both the OS and gmail is not likely to allow all emails to be combined. Third party developers are still a possibility ....... maybe.

Sent from my HP Touchpad w/CM9 Tenderloin

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    I've had webos devices from the pre plus to pre 2 and pre3 still have my touchpad. Now I have a gs4 but i miss alot of what webos did.

The stock email app on the gs4 is ok. I imagine it is similar on the gs3.what I hate is that Gmail does not get push email in the stock app. Lame. Other than that it's fine. I use the Gmail app for Gmail and then stock app for all others. What are you looking for that the stock email app doesn't do? And what are you specifically looking for the calendar to do?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the native email app can have all your email accounts in it and there is an option to show them all as one account,, as for calenders,, put them all in one folder on home screen

Note 2,,ITS TRUE, SIZE IS EVERYTHING.
    love my evo.

Oops,, reply to this wrong comment, sorry.

Note 2,,ITS TRUE, SIZE IS EVERYTHING.
    love my evo.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

got my emails to work, guess it'll have to do.

but what about calendars? Anybody know how to set up yahoo calendars? I only seem to be able to setup yahoo email, but not calendars. I google and exchange setup.
    Thanked by:

K9 has a nice interface to combine email.
    Thanked by:

Been off my Pre for almost a year (after 3 years, the volume and power buttons were broken, the micro usb cable wouldn't seat properly... I charged with touchstone for nearly a year, and pieces of the case were falling away because of a few drops). I still miss my phone, I liked the size and shape and I LOVED the OS. It was great always knowing what apps I had running and I could page through them or swipe away. It really bothers me that android apps run in the background and you have little control over them. The control you do have entails going through application lists and force closing apps. With my pre, if I had my music app open then it would start playing over bluetooth when I got into my car. If I didn't have it open, silence. With android? Either way music starts playing when I hop into the car. I've had to go into bluetooth settings and disable media over bluetooth and enable it the times I want to listen. I also find it very annoying to have apps close that I wanted to come back to. Pre had it right with alerting you that memory was low and allowing you to decide which apps you could close.
    paisley99 likes this.

which version of Android are you running?

Global Posts
    6,551 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
    got my emails to work, guess it'll have to do.

but what about calendars? Anybody know how to set up yahoo calendars? I only seem to be able to setup yahoo email, but not calendars. I google and exchange setup.
    I have the Galaxy S4, I still missed my beloved Palm Prē and WebOS.

Anyway, the phone's email app could work with all your emails, I just don't use it that way.

The calendar app on this phone has all my calendars and works great. 👍😃

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    C-Note likes this.

hi all -

here's a recommendation for the webOS theme that applies to the Go Launcher EX. I put it on my Nex7, spent some time setting up my icons to display like webOS cards on the desktop, and recategorized folders in the app drawer. Now it resembles a baby Touchpad.

Good enough as all i use the tab for is playing Simpsons and Words/Hangin' with Friends anyway. I won't use it for the rest of the stuff.

I still really don't like how google's apps work at all. Two separate apps for gmail and other mail? Absolutely horrible 'hangouts' chat app that you must force-quit or miss texts while you're not online? Sure, JB 4.3 has some better gesture navigation thanks to webOS designers joining google, but it's still not true multi-tasking and still not nearly intuitive. After several months trying to get on board with Android, i still find the user experience completely frustrating. I'll stick with my Touchpad, thanks. And if ACL ever completes, such that I can play Android games within webOS on the TP, this Nex7 will promptly go on fleabay.

***EDIT*** 30 mins later...

how ironic i just read that the kit kat release today will include a hangouts update to combine sms and gchat. and some kind of improvements to the "recent apps" page to make it feel more like true multi-tasking. guess I'll have to update an' see.

seems they are working hard to catch up to what Palm had 4 years ago. keep at it, google. you're getting there.
    Thanked by:
    STARGATE likes this.

Global Posts
    6,551 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I know how you feel...
    But I make do with multi window on my Galaxy S4, it's really great for multitasking. It only needs to work with all the apps! Not just a few!

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

I'm sorry to revive this old thread.

My husband finally found a phone that I would replace my Pre+ with. Now I need to find apps to replace my favorite webOS apps. Has anyone tried to compile a database? Is there a "best place to look"?

When I went from PalmOS to webOS I ran a number of things in Classic until new apps came along? That isn't a choice now.

Quote Originally Posted by bs03 View Post

My husband finally found a phone that I would replace my Pre+ with. Now I need to find apps to replace my favorite webOS apps. Has anyone tried to compile a database? Is there a "best place to look"?

When I went from PalmOS to webOS I ran a number of things in Classic until new apps came along? That isn't a choice now.
    Specifically, what apps? I can't believe you've held onto the Pre+ for so long. I loved WebOS, and I really really wanted to love my Pre+ but the poor build quality drove me to Android and I haven't looked back since!

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

Right now I'm looking for a replacement for ShoppingManager (which was a replacement for HandyShopper).
    I also need to find:
    a Memo app
    Tasks
    a simple text app, I love ScratchWordProcessor
    something for music/playlists
    I have tried 7 browsers and think that I like Dolphin best.
    I also need to find a good mail app to handle my 5 main accts.
    I haven't looked at calendars yet.
    I also need to look at front ends because this one isn't great.
    I think that I found a card keeper, file manager, timer, txting, screen dimmer, and recipe manager.

Of course there were apps that have Android releases; so they were easy. And I'm sure there are things that I haven't thought about yet.

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk

Try Out Of Milk to replace Shopping Manager.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

8 months off of Pre...I chose the following apps cuz i find so many of the android non-stock apps really chaotic looking, require too much awkward inefficient navigation, too many screens, etc, so these are the ones i like best: (fwiw, i have moto x/mostly stock android).

-aCalendar is my fave of the calendar lot. (and Event Flow Cal widget pairs nicely imo)
    -I'm using Rocket Music Player, it has the most decent interface, others I've tried, even well-liked ones, the interfaces have been downright awful. Rocket is clean, nice, swipey, and intuitive. (plenty of themes for dif. color options).
    -I like Gtasks as my simple to do program. It's good looking with a logical, efficient, pleasant interface, without being over-stylized.
    -(And If anyone can help me find a decent email client plmk. Would love something with a non-chaotic look. I only use gmail and yahoo).

For utilities:

I use adw launcher and it has a few gestures you can set (swipe up, swipe down, swipe up from lower bottom, etc) to launch stuff and i like some other things about it. The gestures are very convenient...as well all know.

App dialer is cool. It's a T9 app search, and it's a widget so it doesn't really have to launch before you can use it, it just sorta pops open and not in full screen.
    If anyone knows anything like it that also brings up contacts that would be so helpful.

I very much like my Notifier Pro, your notifications come up in bars on the top or bottom and you can swipe them away. In stock android...i can't even remember, either they would dissapear and you'd have to reach to the top, pull down, then push back up, or they would ...can't remember, hated it.

Not surprisingly, i set mine to show up on the bottom. ; )

... *sigh*

and fwiw, Timely is the best alarm clock ever. : )

You might want to look at Digital Alarm Clock by Zabamobile. It is the closest in functionality to the Pre Timepiece app that I have found.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Right now I'm looking for a replacement for ShoppingManager (which was a replacement for HandyShopper).
    I also need to find:
    a Memo app
    Tasks
    a simple text app, I love ScratchWordProcessor
    I moved to android three years ago and still haven't found these. Which I suppose means I don't need them. One issue for me was that my husband used an iPod, and I wanted a shared shopping list. Now that he's using android. I should look again.

something for music/playlists
    I have tried 7 browsers and think that I like Dolphin best.
    I've been liking rocket player. It is simple, reasonably flexible, and can use play lists I developed in iTunes on Mac. The google player drove me nuts because it always wanted to looking on the web.

I am also using dolphin, but haven't tried enough other browsers to really compare. Someone recommended it shortly after I went android, and I've been satisfied with it.

I also need to find a good mail app to handle my 5 main accts.
    I am a big fan of k9. But I have several accounts, use various aliases on different mailing lists, and like to use POP for some of my accounts. K9 takes some work to configure, but once you do, it is quite flexible.

I really miss having multiple "cards" open for different emails, though. (Perhaps to search my mail for an answer I am writing in a separate card.) The "save as draft" feature works okay, but is much clunker than multiple cards. If you find something with that functionality, please let me know.

I haven't looked at calendars yet.
    I am happy with business calendar pro. It's not gorgeous to look at, but the info is pretty legible, and i like that it's easy to copy an event.

I also need to look at front ends because this one isn't great.
    I'm reasonably happy with android 4. I have a Moto X, which is close to stock android.
    I think that I found a card keeper, file manager, timer, txting, screen dimmer, and recipe manager.

Of course there were apps that have Android releases; so they were easy. And I'm sure there are things that I haven't thought about yet.

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
    what duke manager do like?

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    what duke manager do like?
    I am assuming that you mean file manager.
    I'm using ES File Explorer File Manager by ES APP Group. So far it has done what I've needed.
    My husband likes ASTRO File Manager with Cloud by Metago.
    I'm still trying to set up things and really learn Android. I didn't become too picky about my webOS file manager until I was messing with hidden files, partitions, etc.

As for some other apps.
    I use "What's for Dinner?" for recipes. They have versions for all the platforms.
    I like Stand Alone Inc.'s Crosswords. I've used it since my first Handspring.
    I liked a bunch of Astraware's games on PalmOS and webOS but I am disappointed in their Android selection.
    I used to use Docs-to-Go on PalmOS. I used OpenOffice and SmartOffice on webOS. I am kind of disappointed in all of them on Android, so I still have my eye out for an office suite.
    I still need a basic writing program. I don't always use office for a simple letter/note/list. On PalmOS I had several. On webOS I think I tried each new one as they came out, but my favorite was Scratch Word Processor.
    For right now I'm using AquaMailPro. I liked it best of the several I tried.
    I started a separate thread about calendars. I found several that are OK but they all miss the ability to change what you are viewing quickly on the front.

I found a PalmOS emulator and I might try that. I still have HandyShopper and all of my Palm apks (Who am I kidding, I still have my Palms).

I got a NEC Terrain (not a common phone) and this is leading to problems with Google Play and some apps not behaving correctly because they don't seem to understand it. If you take a Pre and slide it open, that is what my phone looks like. Kind of like a long Blackberry or TungstenC. Which is the other problem, not everything plays well with the physical keyboard.

I am still taking suggestions for everything and I will update with my findings as well.

Thank you.

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

Thank you for your help so far.

I like Business Calendar best so far.

I am having a dilemma with a clock. Right now I am running Digital Alarm Clock. I realized my problem isn't the app. I am missing my Touchstone. I have a bunch of touchstones and my Pre has become my alarm clock because of it. So the app is fine it is my new phone set-up that is the problem.

Next up on my hit list is a dimming control. I have tried Filter and a few before temporarily settling on Dimmer by giraffine. What I really want is something like Brightness Unlinked. My new phone has a backlit physical keyboard, screen, and signal light. Just like on the Pre, it would be best to be able to change each value separately.

On a separate note, my husband said he was proud of me because he got an email sent from my new phone this morning. I didn't tell him that my version of multitasking today is running a variety of things on my Terrain, Pre, TouchPad, and Nexus7. I don't think that this is really how this is supposed to work.

I am using alarm clock plus, by binary tactics. I sprang for the ad-free version. I like that it lets me use music for alarms. It's more complicated than I need, though, and I have since found how to drop any mp3 into the alarm directory. But it had easy options for when to set alarms based on the day of the week and such, and it makes a decent clock.

Also, check out "Switchr" app, it makes looking at "recent apps" so much better.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.adib.switchr

Just got into this today to replace using that detestable "recent apps" function that is native to android.

I chose 'Arc' on the side of my dominant hand and only added 'recent apps'. And check out adw launcher gestures.

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

So I have been getting very frustrated with my new Android phone. I'll skip the whole rant fest here.

So my question of the day is... Has anyone tried phem, the PalmOS emulator?

Thanks everyone for suggestions. Some things I have tried and some I am just bookmarking until my new SD card arrives. My last one self destructed and took out my phone's internal memory causing me to flash and restart.

I have gone back to using Kobo. I used Kobo. Then about 2 1/2 years ago I switched to Kindle. On my new phone the Kindle app seems to take up more space with the same books loaded. I haven't figured out why. On my Nexus7, the Kindle is smaller.

I got PalmNote by Andy Anderson for a basic writing app.

I am using Tom's Multi Timer by catfantom. It does what I need and I was tired of looking at timers.

For a lazy reason, I am using SeriesGuide by Uwe Trottmann and Key Ring by Mobestream Media. My husband had accounts with all our data already set up, so very little for me to do.

I am using the official Google Voice app because Android seems to be lacking in Google Voice options. I think that I had more on webOS. It seems OK.

I am using Dolphin Web Browser. It has a favorite function, add web page to launcher. They call it "send to desktop" but it is there.

I still need a shopping list but I am going to start a new thread about that.

Just a note about moving data. Google drive will now reformat data exported there. This has led to problems. I am also finding a lot of apps will not import all old data. I have data going way back in some of my apps (14yrs on average). I have had to get creative to load it. On the bright side, I am learning a lot about Android.

That's all for now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast