Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

You ought to be able to use Android File Transfer to move files (without reformatting) from your regular computer to your android device over a USB cable. I have found it simple and reliable.
    bs03 likes this.

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

Thanks. I haven't tried that.
    I have emailed them to myself and used my Box account.

The real problem is that so many apps on webOS and Android use Google Drive to backup or export data. It seems like most active apps have developers working around this. I have found at least a few Android apps suffering due to this and of course a lot of webOS apps are a problem now.

I am strong enough with webOS to pull my dbs and work with them. For one Android app, I found a workaround on XDAdevs. The other Android stuff I was looking to see if I liked it, so I didn't bother.

Mainly, I just wanted the warning out there because most people aren't aware.

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOSPx

The next version of Android, for now called "L" has a revamped recent apps function that almost looks exactly like the cards featured in webOS.

Quote Originally Posted by frmorrison View Post
    The next version of Android, for now called "L" has a revamped recent apps function that almost looks exactly like the cards featured in webOS.
    ...which they seem to have followed directly after Ubuntu for Devices and iOS in implementing graphically...

I'm becoming much more interested in Sailfish OS and their live covers. It's a 2D array of open apps "cards" on the home screen and no stacking... But the apps remain live and, so far as I know, only webOS offered that previously; all others having the apps hibernating when minimized. Further, in Sailfish, you can interact with the apps when in card form. Email, for instance, when minimized you can swipe left across the card to refresh the mailbox and the app stays in card form - swiping right across the card opens the app in compose new email.

I've been trying out the Alphas on Nexus 4. There has been a lot of progress there. Also the Hardware Adaptation Development Kit is now out and the porting to various Android handsets has now begun.

As a former webOS user, I'm pretty excited to see this develop. It has now supplanted Ubuntu for Devices as the OS I look forward to moving to as a daily driver. Entirely gesture driven. Sound familiar?

Hello former webOS users!

Just got my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini over the weekend. I'd been using a Pre 3 for three years, and a Pre and Pixi before that going back to 2009 (and Palm Treo and PDAs before that going all the way back to 2001. It's a bit sad, but also reassuring to see familiar names here. I still think webOS is the superior OS (and I'm looking to keep my Pre 3 as a home wi-fi device, along with my TouchPad), but I'm sure you all know the reasons for moving on.

I got the S4 Mini because I like the smaller size. I have no quarrel with the hardware (though I miss the physical keyboard), but my first impressions of Android are mixed. It seems a bit clunkier than webOS...too much inconsistency between swipes, gestures, taps, and button pushes. I also think the easy multitasking of swiping between cards on webOS is far superior to Android multitasking and task/app switching. Who knows, maybe my opinions will change as I get to know Android better.

I'm posting to ask for advice in finding Android equivalents to many of the webOS apps I've used for so long. Forgive me if some of these are obvious and/or already on the phone (I wont be insulted if you say, "Didn't you see the app on your phone? It's standard!"). Here's a list of the webOS apps (with some parenthetical comments to help specify what I'm looking for):
    • Tasks
    • ClassicNote (I like the abilities to categorize and to password-protect some notes)
    • TapNote (I like posting quick text notes directly to Dropbox)
    • InterfaceLIFT (I found a couple of Android apps that access the Interface site. Looking for opinions on the best one)
    • Track My Weight (Just basic weight, with quick graph)
    • drPodder HB (vidcasts, video podcasts, or whatever they're called)
    • FeedReader
    • Mileage Monitor (Just basic car mileage)
    • Where's My Car?
    • UberRadio (alarm function, manually add stations)
    • MLB Scores and NHL Score (Just a quick check of scores and standings, no more)
    • Games: Backgammon, Solitaire, Freecell, Pyramid, Spider
    • System: Dr. Battery, Proxy Switch, Internalz, Wall Switch, Nodoze

I know that's a long list, but I'd appreciate any informed opinions! One thing we never had to worry about with webOS was being inundated by app choices!
    A couple of other final questions related to the Mini itself... I've seen mixed info on wireless charging. Can a Mini be adapted for wireless charging and/or use on a TouchStone? Also, I'd much appreciate advice on slim cases, covers, sleeves.

Thanks in advance for any help!

One quick follow-up (sorry for asking so much)... Antivirus? Real concern? If so, recommendations?

Posted via Android Central App

What's amazing about webOS is that it seems other OS's are still playing catch up. Such a forward thinking OS and I will never buy another HP product as long as I live.

Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    One quick follow-up (sorry for asking so much)... Antivirus? Real concern? If so, recommendations?

For Android, YES. I prefer Lookout. Get the AV and look at additional plug-ins they have.

Anyone who says, naw you don't need AV just be careful; that person is whistling in the graveyard...
    anon4935932 likes this.

For any that have a Nexus 4...

webOS Ports is now dedicating N4 as a target. Their new (homebrewed) fork of Open webOS is called LuneOS. It will support N4 and HP Touchpad!!!!! Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 (2012) will be deprecated after the first LuneOS release (affogato). Devices - WebOS-Ports

Check out more here:
    Official Release of LuneOS and Project Updates | pivotCE
    WebOS-Ports

Global Posts
    8,338 Global Posts
    Carrier
    CleanRom

Nice to see some old faces in this thread from old precentral days!

I really don't miss much about webos because most of the features have basically been added to andriod over time. I miss cards, but thats basically just about the only thing I think...

Thanks. Got CM Security. No noticeable performance hit yet. So far, so good.

RumoredNow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Nice to see some old faces in this thread from old precentral days!

I really don't miss much about webos because most of the features have basically been added to andriod over time. I miss cards, but thats basically just about the only thing I think...
    I miss all the awesome goodness we used to get from Sconix.
    I also miss Homebrew.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    9,052 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    What's amazing about webOS is that it seems other OS's are still playing catch up. Such a forward thinking OS and I will never buy another HP product as long as I live.
    That's right!
    I think the same way and will stay away from HP products.
    I also tell everyone to stay away from such company!

Sent From the Time Vortex Inside the TARDIS With my GS5

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

Tasks- "Tasks Free" or the checklist function of "ColorNote" but these are not robust enough for everyone

ClassicNote - "PalmNote" (it pulled in my Palm Desktop) or "Note Everything" which allows for file passwords

TapNote - all of the cloud storage apps on Android now have their own editors (Box, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc) and most office apps will load to most or all of the cloud storage sites

FeedReader- "Feedly"

Mileage Monitor - "aCar" but I haven't tried many

MLB Scores and NHL Score - I use the mobile sites or the official league apps my husband uses

Dr. Battery - "Battery Widget Reborn"

Internalz- "ES File Explorer" or "Astro File Manager"

A few that you haven't asked about:
    MemoPad- "ColorNote" or "Keep"
    Office- WPS Office (multiple panes/docs)
    "Graffiti", if you really are one of us old Palm folks
    "Google Opinion Survey" earn money for apps by answering brief/basic questions, usually 1-3 questions once or twice a week.

I am still looking for good replacements for some of my apps. I am down to only using my Pre+ everyday not my TP or Tungsten. I'm sorry that I can't help with more of your list.

I don't know if your phone has wireless charging but I have played with various Qi charging, what Android folks/sites say are the best, and I think they are all crap so far. If my hands didn't shake so much, I would do the TouchStone mod. I've been told that I'm too picky. I say that they don't know what inductive charging should be. I have several Qi chargers gathering dust. My touchstones are still in use. (Sorry to rant.)

Good luck.

I'd be happy with qi, I think. But the phones I like don't even have that. :-(

I actually have been using a wireless Qi charger for about a month now. It's not a perfect setup, but it's worked so far. You sacrifice the USB, but that hasn't been an issue. I've been using AirDroid for file transfers.
    But I will say that this whole setup makes the Pre3/Touchstone setup seem like genius in its simplicity and usability.

Global Posts
    9,052 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None

You right, Palm was really ahead of the times with the TouchStone and webOS!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123