Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    deesugar's Avatar

    Posts
    305 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Hey guys,
    I suspect there will be more and more WebOS users over the coming days, weeks and months. I thought I'd start a place for us to commiserate, share important things we've learned and offer tips for making the WebOS user more comfortable.

    I have cross posted this to the Precentral forums.


    Thanks,
    Deesugar
  2. #2  
    sledge007's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    A month in on my phone, and I couldn't be more comfortable with it. Spent many hours with CM9 on my TouchPad, and I don't think it's a fair comparisson. I still prefer webOS on my TouchPad, and will probably continue using it as I always have.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  3. #3  
    BMIC50's Avatar

    Posts
    293 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,814 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock...for now

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sledge007 View Post
    A month in on my phone, and I couldn't be more comfortable with it. Spent many hours with CM9 on my TouchPad, and I don't think it's a fair comparisson. I still prefer webOS on my TouchPad, and will probably continue using it as I always have.
    Same here. If Android implements more of webOS, I wouldnt be upset at all!
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch->Samsung GS3 16GB Pebble Blue
    Devilsbane likes this.
  4. #4  
    DennisOS2's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    A month in on my phone, and I couldn't be more comfortable with it. Spent many hours with CM9 on my TouchPad, and I don't think it's a fair comparisson. I still prefer webOS on my TouchPad, and will probably continue using it as I always have.
    I believe you have to think about this in two ways. First, I do agree that WebOS was far ahead of aOS. Even 4.2 (JB) won't have the power of WebOS. That besides the overall power, there are a lot of little conventions in WebOS that are so powerful yet simple ...... like how everything is configured.

    However, developers (hard and soft) have embraced the openness of the Android platform and the result is a plethora of truly useful apps.

    My wife and I both have TouchPads. Her's is at 3.0.2 (for some reason it will not upgrade above that). I've just moved mine to dual boot with CM9 11/11 Nightly w/camera patch. Mine works great with aOS and is very stable. There are financial apps I couldn't get for WebOS. My wife doesn't have a need to change ............ I love the change.

    Now that WebOS is open source maybe we'll see further developments and that's great. However, as was said 15+ years ago during the Desktop wars ............ its not the OS but the apps that run on the OS that determines the platform's success. Will WebOS (with the great new APIs promised) ever attract application developers that will take advantage of those wonderful WebOS APIs? Unless it does WebOS will be just another historical footnote.
  5. #5  
    sledge007's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Flash forward two months.....I have more Android apps that I've bought since I posted that, and I'm finding I'm starting to use the Android side a little more than I was then. I agree, where you have your apps, is where you'll spend your time. There will be no (new) developers developing for webOS until there's at least one product available for sale. The latest rumor is an LG smart TV... I don't find myself wanting a smart TV in the first place let alone a "new" player to the market..... As for the "great new APIs promised" would you care to remind me which ones were those again, or provide a link? They have done some pretty cool things with LunaCE, but most if not all is simply on the UI side of things. There still isn't a basic voice command action like Google Voice or Google Now. I even bought an app ($5...ya probably too much, but I was in the mindset of supporting what existing developers we had) that was supposed to be a webOS version of Shazam/Soundhound...but it took forever to even match a song, and then when it did, had very little extras to show for it.

    Every once in awhile it gets brought up how Android Play Store is 99% full of garbage apps....and that may be so, depending on your point of view. shows 580,537 apps available with 23% being low quality. If we go by the 99% number as garbage, that still leaves 5,805 good quality of apps. Almost the same number of TOTAL webOS apps and it's safe to say that not all of those were quality..

    I'm with you though. I love the change as well.....now that I've gone ahead and done it.
  6. #6  
    DennisOS2's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    I stayed longer than I should have with WebOS. The change was actually because my wife and I had two ancient PrePluses neither of which worked (keyboards). She got the iPhone 5 I got the Razr Maxx HD. We love both phones, but got me thinking about my TP. Figured........ What the hell; let's see what the old girl (not my wife) can do. CM9 is rock solid and now the camera works.

    And about those WebOS APIs ......... that's what HP and that community is promising:-) I'm old and can't hold my breath for very long ;-)

    Sent from my aOS TP.
  7. #7  
    sledge007's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    I've never used the camera aside from Skype, which I barely use as it is. I'm undecided if I like CM10 over CM9....not a whole lot of difference, imo. Still better than CM7. As far as those APIs are concerned, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure these (mysterious) APIs were "promised" when we went from 1.4.5 to 2.0. I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.
  8. #8  
    DennisOS2's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    The API carrots were dangled a bit too long. In this fast moving market you can't just plan for the launch, but 3 revisions/versions down the road. Palm did a wonderful job with the OS and then forgot about keeping it moving ahead.

    Sent from my CM9 TP
  9. #9  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    3,807 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,134 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    I used my beloved Palm Prē (got it on launch day) until September 17 2011, that day I got my Motorola Photon. I still try doing gestures on the darn thing at least 3 times a day

    But I still get my webOS fix a few times a week since my wife and I each have a PalmPad.

    I don't think I will ever install anything else on my PalmPad, but who knows.

    Now I'm just trying to figure what device will make it my way or if I should leave Sprint and go prepaid with a Nexus device.

    Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
  10. #10  
    spartca's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    One of the things I like the most about webOS is its built-in Messaging app that consolidates all SMS and IM from Gtalk, YIM, etc. into one app.

    Now that I'm transitioning to Android, I'm wondering if there is any good equivalent? The stock apps seem to separate SMS and IM into two or more applications.

    Thanks!
  11. #11  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    3,807 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,134 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Yea...unfortunately there's nothing even close to that anywhere else!

    Stupid #:4%_#+:$:b4#$;$@&( Leo Idiotheker and HP!!!! IDIOTS!!!

    Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  
    spartca's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Possible development opportunity for a killer Android app here?
    paisley99 likes this.
  13. #13  
    DennisOS2's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spartca View Post
    One of the things I like the most about webOS is its built-in Messaging app that consolidates all SMS and IM from Gtalk, YIM, etc. into one app.

    Now that I'm transitioning to Android, I'm wondering if there is any good equivalent? The stock apps seem to separate SMS and IM into two or more applications.

    Thanks!
    Gotta believe there is or will be an app that consolidates messages that meets your needs.

    Dennis
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spartca View Post
    One of the things I like the most about webOS is its built-in Messaging app that consolidates all SMS and IM from Gtalk, YIM, etc. into one app.

    Now that I'm transitioning to Android, I'm wondering if there is any good equivalent? The stock apps seem to separate SMS and IM into two or more applications.

    Thanks!
    Don't think it includes sms but it includes everything else . check out im+

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    love my evo.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    I was a pre owner back in the day until the first evo came out . That's when i saw the crash and burn on the horizon and jumped ship . so glad i did. I really still don't see the continued fascination with webos, but that just me. Happily married to my brand new note 2 at the moment.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    love my evo.
  16. #16  
    DennisOS2's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I was a pre owner back in the day until the first evo came out . That's when i saw the crash and burn on the horizon and jumped ship . so glad i did. I really still don't see the continued fascination with webos, but that just me. Happily married to my brand new note 2 at the moment.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    I believe the conventions they employed for settings/configurations and for general data entry were far ahead of Apple or Android. Their multitasking model was ahead of everyone as well. Doesn't matter if you don't keep it moving ahead or have support of developers.

    Dennis
    paisley99 likes this.
  17. #17  
    sledge007's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    I used my beloved Palm Prē (got it on launch day) until September 17 2011, that day I got my Motorola Photon. I still try doing gestures on the darn thing at least 3 times a day

    But I still get my webOS fix a few times a week since my wife and I each have a PalmPad.

    I don't think I will ever install anything else on my PalmPad, but who knows.

    Now I'm just trying to figure what device will make it my way or if I should leave Sprint and go prepaid with a Nexus device.

    Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums
    PalmPad.....lol. I'll tell you aside from a couple of GB, you have nothing to lose installing Android on your TouchPad......oh and maybe 20 minutes of your time. Although not all apps are optimized for tablets, there's some that are nice to play around with. As for your signature...take matters into your own hands if you want ICS, or JB for that matter on your device. Just make sure you read as much as you can, watch a YouTube video or 3 and root it. Problem solved. ....if you're worried about warranty issues, you can always unroot it and reset the flash counter.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  
    DennisOS2's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    PalmPad.....lol. I'll tell you aside from a couple of GB, you have nothing to lose installing Android on your TouchPad......oh and maybe 20 minutes of your time. Although not all apps are optimized for tablets, there's some that are nice to play around with. As for your signature...take matters into your own hands if you want ICS, or JB for that matter on your device. Just make sure you read as much as you can, watch a YouTube video or 3 and root it. Problem solved. ....if you're worried about warranty issues, you can always unroot it and reset the flash counter.
    Heartily agree. Big fan of WebOS for its potential, but not its current state of development. A week of CM9 on my TP and I never looked back (booted webos). I actually use the TP a lot now. It's like having a new tablet. Just wish I had the 32g version. With all I've loaded on now there isn't much space for books a music.

    Dennis
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    I am a former pre owner. At the time I loved my pre. At the moment I sporting a galaxy note 2 and it is by far the best device I have ever had. Got 17 hours out of my battery today with the screen being on for 10 of them hours.

    Note 2, it's true, ,size is everything!
    love my evo.
  20. #20  
    frmorrison's Avatar

    Posts
    260 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSPx

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    I got a Touchpad back when the firesale started, and loaded CM9 ICS about a year ago. Recently I loaded webOS for the first time in a year to see when the last app was updated (sometime in August) and noticed that the normal Angry Birds app wasn't free anymore. It turns out sometime last summer Rovio noticed and changed it to a paid app.

    Anyway, at least Preware had some updates, one nice was to change the user agent to iPad.
  21. #21  
    DennisOS2's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by frmorrison View Post
    I got a Touchpad back when the firesale started, and loaded CM9 ICS about a year ago. Recently I loaded webOS for the first time in a year to see when the last app was updated (sometime in August) and noticed that the normal Angry Birds app wasn't free anymore. It turns out sometime last summer Rovio noticed and changed it to a paid app.

    Anyway, at least Preware had some updates, one nice was to change the user agent to iPad.
    Like OS2, WebOS will never see significant use again. Too bad. So much potential, so little HP desire or competency.

    Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Just thought I'd throw it out there...

    There is a petition for LG to make a webOS phone (now that they've bought the software).

    Maybe they'd do a better job than HP. Maybe they'll do nothing.

    If you'd like to see webOS back...

  23. #23  

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    So, as an ex WebOS gal, who jumped to the Photon (and is still cursing the lying ******** at Motorola) I'm looking at a new phone sometime soon. Curious if anyone is in the same boat, and what you guys are looking at.
    STARGATE likes this.
  24. #24  
    DennisOS2's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    So, as an ex WebOS gal, who jumped to the Photon (and is still cursing the lying ******** at Motorola) I'm looking at a new phone sometime soon. Curious if anyone is in the same boat, and what you guys are looking at.
    There are soooooo many good options out there. Unfortunately (for you) some are Moto's, but HTC and Nexus also have a ton. Good time for getting a new phone.

    Sent from my HP Touchpad w/CM9 Tenderloin
  25. #25  
    STARGATE's Avatar

    Posts
    3,807 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,134 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    So, as an ex WebOS gal, who jumped to the Photon (and is still cursing the lying ******** at Motorola) I'm looking at a new phone sometime soon. Curious if anyone is in the same boat, and what you guys are looking at.
    Well, as you can see I'm on the same boat. I think the Nexus 4 is a very good option. However, I'm waiting to see the Galaxy S4.

    I will be able to upgrade in June or July, (not totally sure but anyway) if I stay with Sprint, and my contract is done in September if I decide to go prepay with T-Mo.

    I recommend you wait and see what Samsung and others bring to the table this next few weeks or months, than make a decision.

    Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B