1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HP on WebOS

after HP CEO say that they did not buy palm for smartphone production every single pre and pixi user will be jumping ship to Android and Evo androids numbers are going to sky rocket within the next couple of months

wrong forum

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    wrong forum
    Maybe not.

It's really convincing a lot of Precentral owners to switch over...

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I leaving my Pre for the EVO, but my wife wants to keep her Pre for one more year, Hoping for a new HP Web OS smart phone, until today.
    After HP CEO comments, many developers and users will jump to Android, including my wife.
    After 1 month, if I like the EVO, she’s also leaving her Pre.
    The Pre was the best smart phone I ever had, I will truly miss Web OS.
    Last edited by rodrigosb; 06-03-2010 at 01:17 AM.

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

After I read that, I knew I made the right decision to switch to Android. I am so glad Sprint got the Evo, for once I don't feel like I am holding a compromise in my hand. The Pre was the little phone that just couldn't. Slow, laggy, TMC errors, lack of apps (even after the "floodgates" were openend), crappy build quality (gotta love that squeaky keyboard!)...etc...etc.

Well, since it is now 2:38 AM in Florida, I can officially say that I will be getting my phone tomorrow! Can't wait!

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

At Precentral, I posted this on the news story about this: And this is why I'm calling Radio Shacks now looking for someone with an extra EVO on Friday morning. It's over for webOS on phones. The future is Android and frankly I'm stunned at how cool some of the stuff is. I'm thankful that I'm eligible for an upgrade as of yesterday.

In case anyone thinks I'm just trolling: "Member for 51 weeks 5 days"

I've been here since before I had a Pre. I believed, but Palm effing blew it in ways that will be a case study in marketing classes until the Sun explodes as a prime example of HOW TO BLOW IT! (Chapter 1: Why creepy Borg Queen ads don't sell product.)

5000 G...

========
    Some angry guy retorted, "Good luck with the screwed up cards. The EVO has a major, major design flaw."
    ========
    Yeesh. Someone slapped back, "Either the SD Cards, super easy fix, or the Google I/O phones have a flaw. Since the phone isn't released yet we can't say it has a major flaw. Some report simply formatting the card fixes it some change the card."
    ========
    But on my point, another agreed with me: "He's right.

Android is way ahead of the game when it comes to features. It's even ahead of Apple in many areas and is rapidly evolving.

HP and Palm could have bumped heads together and gotten a much better start than last year... but I guess not.

It's sad, but Palm is way too small."
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

The fact is someone will complain about the Evo the way they did about the Pre. The Pre was a good phone. The only reason I'm leaving is A) I always get a new phone once a year and B) Android has a lot of developer support. There's not a thing wrong with my Pre hardware or software wise. It's a great little phone.

get ready for the flood gates to open with even more Pre owners jumping ship
    Palm Pre 6-6-09
    HTC EVO 6-4-10
    HTC EVO 3D 6-24-11

My Phone Has 3 Camera's, How Many Does Yours Have?!?!

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

The Pre's hardware isn't the greatest, but I could live with it.
    The Pre's software is awesome...
    But HP/Palm didn't hint at, nor come out with a new device within my yearly upgrade.

So, Evo is the next logical choice.
    After my year is up with the Evo.. I'll be moving on to the next phone.
    That's just how I roll

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

I'm in the same boat. I love WebOs but I'm not fond of the Pre. The news was quite a shock. I've already sold my pre but I figured that come next years upgrade I could see what WebOs had to offer. Oh well Evo here I come. This just solidifies why the WebOs guy fled to Google.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    At Precentral, I posted this on the news story about this: And this is why I'm calling Radio Shacks now looking for someone with an extra EVO on Friday morning. It's over for webOS on phones. The future is Android and frankly I'm stunned at how cool some of the stuff is. I'm thankful that I'm eligible for an upgrade as of yesterday.

In case anyone thinks I'm just trolling: "Member for 51 weeks 5 days"

I've been here since before I had a Pre. I believed, but Palm effing blew it in ways that will be a case study in marketing classes until the Sun explodes as a prime example of HOW TO BLOW IT! (Chapter 1: Why creepy Borg Queen ads don't sell product.)

5000 G...

========
    Some angry guy retorted, "Good luck with the screwed up cards. The EVO has a major, major design flaw."
    ========
    Yeesh. Someone slapped back, "Either the SD Cards, super easy fix, or the Google I/O phones have a flaw. Since the phone isn't released yet we can't say it has a major flaw. Some report simply formatting the card fixes it some change the card."
    ========
    But on my point, another agreed with me: "He's right.

Android is way ahead of the game when it comes to features. It's even ahead of Apple in many areas and is rapidly evolving.

HP and Palm could have bumped heads together and gotten a much better start than last year... but I guess not.

It's sad, but Palm is way too small."
    I was one of the replies to the "angry guy".

I was the one who was saying you were right about Android... blah blah.

small world

Edit: BTW, that article on Precentral has reached 350 comments! Some Pre Plus users are kind of disgruntled too.

Mr. Hurd, the HP CEO said they were not JUST making smartphones. He clarified in a later interview and said smartphones were another "connected device" and they were making a number of "connected devices" running WebOS.

If you leave WebOS, do it because you prefer the hardware or software of Android, not because you think HP/Palm won't be making phones. That is just not true.

Funny though how everyone jumped at the opportunity to say "told ya" and bash Palm.

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I was one of the replies to the "angry guy".

I was the one who was saying you were right about Android... blah blah.

small world
    You, sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

I'm another Pre-jumper. I love WebOS and was quite fond of the phone itself (I think my wife and I are the only people I know who didn't have to go through numerous pre's to get a "good one"), but I was given an opportunity to get a free Evo by trading in my Pre (my mother-in-law was added out our plan and wants a smartphone and likes the Pre so my wife talked her into buying me the Evo and she's taking my Pre). I couldn't pass it up!

I have to say that the Pre has been my favorite phone so-far, but I've been watching with Envy as Android has taken off and is flourishing while WebOS is languishing in new-stuff support, and let's not even talk about the long-term future of the OS on smartphones (per HP's recent announcement). It's sad, really. I had high hopes, and I was hoping to be a part of Palm's comeback (having been with them since the beginning with the USR Pilot 1000).

It was a great ride. Now I'm ready for a new one.