Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question For those who switched from the Pre

What are your thoughts about the Evo compared to the Pre now that you have switched? I'm looking to make the switch next week sometime.

Happiness.

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

I like the evo alot so far compared to the pre. Mostly due to apps and size of screen, its huge compared to the pre. The one thing i liked about the pre was the swipes to remove apps or delete emails. Also, the ability to have multiple apps open via cards. maybe the evo does this but i am not sure how yet. need to talk with an experience android users at work.

Awesome, but very hard yet to get used to the size, wow -
    Palm Pre 6-6-09
    HTC EVO 6-4-10
    HTC EVO 3D 6-24-11

My Phone Has 3 Camera's, How Many Does Yours Have?!?!

I like everything about it. Some of the menus are hard to navigate to on Android, compared to WebOS, and sometimes I can't figure out if an app on Android is really closed or what, but other than that, I like it more. Poor Palm

So far so good, I'm still getting things set up like I like. Love the screen, Love the apps, its FAST. I'm still going over it though. Android takes a sec to get use too.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Pure bliss, seventh heaven. I had my Pre when it first came out.. You know when there wasn't a video recorder etc... I rooted and homebrewed and created my own apps. It was a great phone but lacking in basic areas.. No voice commands, no mutli pages already open and default, not to mention the plethora of apps in the market
    I think with Pre 'we' worked to make it a good phone with Evo it's a GREAT phone.. I am so happy I made the switch...

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I'm having quite a bit of annoying, buggy behavior so far, but the screen, speed and apps are light years beyond the pre, not to mention the far superior phusical build.

Yeah. I will never get a device that is just too new for the market (still is). I think WebOS and Palm still got a year to get it to even be comparable to what other OSes have now.

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I see just much I've suffered for the past year.

When web pages have Javascript comments (e.g. Gizmodo) visible; you click a link and don't get a TMC error; when you can scroll thru your email without it freezing; and on and on, I feel like I've just gotten my first REAL smartphone.

Sure, I miss gestures and cards and think it's lame how we need a Task Killer app - the clerk actually told me to get one first - and notifications are a little weird, but as I whip from one app to the next in a fraction of the time it would take to open one on the Pre, it's the best $200 I've spent on a phone in a year.

I'm sure there are plenty of Pre users who really want to support webOS and HPalm, but the joy of a slickly running phone has to trump loyalty and stubbornness. I'm sure they'll say they're happy with the Pre. I say they haven't tried the EVO yet. It's like a guy who says he's satisfied with his wife because he hasn't slept with Angelina Jolie yet.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

It's ... different. For one, there's a size difference. Not only is this bigger, but it's heavier. Not "Oh My GOD" heavy, but you notice the difference. And I keep doing the gestures, so I'll have to deprogram myself from that. Also, OS wise the Pre was pretty simple. Not iPhone simple, but it was pretty easy to pick up and use, at least to me. This took me a few minutes of playing around with it, going into the different menus, the screen presses, etc. But now ... I'm in LOVE. It's so much more device than the Pre, both literally and figuratively. The only thing I miss, and I figured I would initially, is the keyboard. I like the way HTC corrects my spelling, but I'm paynig more attention now because sometimes I mispell intentionally, like if I'm using slang in a text message. It's easy enough to correct, but it's something to be aware of. I like the arrow buttons being there; makes navigating around in a message easier.

I'm not entirely used to using it yet but the EVO initially feels like a much more powerful device than my Pre. I think webos was a bit more intuitive out of the box but I can already see the power and versatility of Android it's just taking me longer to learn how to really get the most from it.

There are a few things I do miss about the pre, I miss some of the gestures and I really miss my touchstone charger. Otherwise I couldn't be happier.

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

Im missing Cards and Swipe gestures. Other than that I'm ok.

This thing is HUGE compared to the Pre. The apps and the speed of this thing are killer though !
    Want to video chat on Fring ? Read the How-To guide here :
    How-To Video Chat on Fring !

If you need someone to help you test Fring out find yourself a Fring buddie here !
    Fring Buddies

Everything is great.
    The Apps are just... much better in quality.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Just like alot of people, I miss the cards and gesture area. I'm still getting used to the Droid OS, but so far I'm definitely liking the Evo (especially not having to worry about the TMC errors). Also, I must say that for a soft-keyboard, the Evo's is fantastic.

As a sidenote, I just joined the forums, but what are some threads I should look at and must have apps?

i just checked a live evo at the shack! im ready to throw my pre in the garbage!
    one thing i hated was google maps taking forever on pre. came right up on evo.
    BYE Palm...hope HP throws money into R&D!

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Be excited this phone is stellar. I still feel like using a gesture but the longer I use it the more comfortable Android becomes.

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

this phone is fast. i love the app market, i love the screen size..i heart the kickstand!!!!!!!!!!!.... i'm going to root this badboy by the end of the day so that i can get the screen capture app working. but im very happy with my EVO! i feel bad tho for the PDF over at precentral.com they really don't know what they're missing out on.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I am absoultely in love with the evo. I will never wish I had my pre again. It was a great phone but the evo is awsome!

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

I keep trying to swipe cards up to dismiss the apps! lovin this phone tho. i dont miss the pre at all

Global Posts
    714 Global Posts

HA HA HA HA ... This phone is pure sexiness ... as we all are saying ... We loved the WebOS ... but hated the hardware ... Our Ideal phone would be the EVO form factor with the WebOS and App Market behind it ... Needless to say I too find myself swiping things that just wont move ... Its funny as hell to be ... It will get some used to but the EVO is a godsend for us PRE-Vious owners ... We will NEVER look back .

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts

My EVO is being shipped to me on Monday, I did go to the Sprint store to play with the demo units, and like most people said its fast, the screen is bright and clear. I too found myself trying swipe up and swipe left, however just after 10 minutes I knew I made the right decision.

One thing i didn't try and I hope people can comment on, While there are some User interface things i will miss from my Pre, the thing that bugged me the most was how long it took to boot up, it took longer than my windows PC's, How fast does the EVO boot up?

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by Paterick View Post
    What are your thoughts about the Evo compared to the Pre now that you have switched? I'm looking to make the switch next week sometime.
    After having the Pre for 1 year i can now honestly say i have a REAL phone, the Palm Pre just SUCKS! I wouldnt have one now if it were free, and i dont miss kiddie webOS AT ALL!! The ONLY thing i can honestly say i miss is the touchstone charger.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    this phone is fast. i love the app market, i love the screen size..i heart the kickstand!!!!!!!!!!!.... i'm going to root this badboy by the end of the day so that i can get the screen capture app working. but im very happy with my EVO! i feel bad tho for the PDF over at precentral.com they really don't know what they're missing out on.
    Screen capture app is already working its called ShootMe and its in the market.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast