Angry Nerds

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Although I haven't posted on, or even looked at, PreCentral for several weeks, for some odd reason (morbid curiosity I suppose) I still subscribe to the Palmcast and webOSroundup podcast.

After the last offering from each, I get the distinct impression it's like watching a bad train wreck occuring in slow motion. Even the title of the last Palmcast ("Angry Nerds") is somewhat telling.

Anyone else get that impression?

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I really haven't look back.

When they had their announcement and basically kicked many of us to the curb, I got in the car and drove to Sprint and exercised my upgrade option. WebOS is a beautiful OS but their new hardware (vaporware AFAIC) failed to interest me. I wanted the bigger screen (EVO!) so I could actually read articles without scrolling side to side! No regrets.

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I posted nearly 5 months ago that following what's going on with webOS was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Looks like I called it accurately.

Not that it took a lot of intelligence or forsight....

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
No point in voting, I switched away from webOS several months ago. When ePocrates killed their webOS app and webOS killed Classic, I saw the handwriting on the wall.

3rdsurfer

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
yes because we are angry and nerds. we love our os no matter how many times we have been screwed over. actually that is making it worse. i have had to switch to droid because no matter how much better webOS was, my Sprint Pre finally died and there was nothing to replace it. and the hardware had become way out of date, causing resentment twards Palm, HP, and Sprint.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
They are very angry nerds! Be careful if anyone wanders over there. There are many who absolutely hate Android and will attack you if you mention it no matter how legitimate your post is! Fair warning my friends!

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
They are very angry nerds! Be careful if anyone wanders over there. There are many who absolutely hate Android and will attack you if you mention it no matter how legitimate your post is! Fair warning my friends!

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk

I just posted over there and was warned that android is the ?A? word and they dislike Android A LOT.

Kupe

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I just posted over there and was warned that android is the ?A? word and they dislike Android A LOT.
Looks like a good "insider" article came out today in the NYTimes saying that key folks on the Palm (and later HP) development team knew up front that WebOS was flawed. The article, In Flop of H.P. TouchPad, an Object Lesson for the Tech Sector, quotes Paul Mercer the former senior software director at Palm as saying:
Paul Mercer said:
Palm was ahead of its time in trying to build a phone software platform using Web technology, and we just weren?t able to execute such an ambitious and breakthrough design. Perhaps it never could have been executed because the technology wasn?t there yet.
I also suspect the talent wasn't there yet at Palm either.

Not to steal jimjeffcoat's thunder in this thread, but many of us at PreCentral were pointing out the foundational flaws of WebOS as early as late Summer 2009 when promised, seemingly simple updates failed to materialize. Like Baconator says, the PreCentral community wasn't real big on reality checks and several of us were banned from the site simply for countering the "unicorns and rainbows" hopes of some members (many of whom were moderators - probably compensated) with cold, hard, software OS realities.

Funny how even the "science" of software development can produce rabid, irrationally-driven fanatics.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1