Droid users with Palm Pre Experience?

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering what folks think about the Droid if they have used the Pre.

Trying to decide on my next device. Presently have an older (and getting older) Treo 680.

Thanks for your help.

~aviduser

GivenToFly

Dec 30, 2009
www.apexautosound.com
My wife has the Pre Plus (Verizon), she hates it, I hate it, even my mom hates it. She went from Droid to Pre Plus because the droid was too ugly for her, she thought the pre was cute, and she didn't like that we both had the same phone. I've found the pre to be extremely slow at starting any program, even takes 3-5 full seconds to bring the dialer up. There is no virtual keyboard, and the slide out keyboard is pretty much useless unless you have small fingers with amazing dexterity. (droid isn't too much better though - flat keypad) The battery life is terrible, she has to charge it overnight, than again on her way home from work, and she doesn't use her phone nearly as much as I use mine, and I still usually have almost half or just under half battery life (unless i streamed music for an hour or so) The Droid is by far and away a million times better than the Pre.

But...I know someone else who has a pre and loves it. but he also doesn't use any apps, or browse the web, just strictly for phone and email.

I would get a Droid, you won't be dissapointed.

davedsone

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Completely the opposite. Had a Pre. Hardware issues, switched to the Hero then the Moment, now just went on ebay and bought a Pre again. The hardware isn't made super well, but the OS is killer. There are ALOT of apps, and the way the phone handles contacts, running apps/multitasking and the Universal search is amazing. The keyboard is excellent, its made to one hand. I can text one handed almost without looking. I can two hand it also if I need to. There is a HUGE homebrew community over at Precentral.net, a sister site to this one, and if you are even thinking about getting one, go there and look around. It is altogether more FUNCTIONAL than any flavor of anroid i have seen. Equally as powerful, and this phone is running a cortex A8 core and has at least 8 gb internal storage. The whole OS is based in webkit, which is a browser, and browses the web very nicely. IT ALSO HAS MULTITOUCH, you won't find that elsewhere.

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your comments. I am a longtime Palm user with numerous Treos in my past. Currently using a Treo 680. I have been drooling over the Pre for over a year now, but being an ATT customer I can't join in on the fun. That is going to change soon . . .

I have been on the precentral boards for a long while now--since the pre was announced. So that is good advice. I wanted to get the Android-user's view on the pre v. droid/milestone. As it is, the Pre users prefer the Pre. Want to hear why the droid users like it better.

Either way, I have to wait until ATT gets with the program. Unless I get my buddy to get me a Milestone from Telus in Canada. :)

cheers,

aviduser

2000- Palm m505
2001- Palm m515
2003- Kyocera 7135
2004- Treo 600 (woc)
2006- Treo 700p (wc)
2007- Treo 680 (wc)
2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)

Last edited:

CDH

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
My wife had a pre for about a week. The os is pretty slick. It does take a few seconds to open most apps. The keyboard is very hard to type with. That is the main reason she took it back.

Has a droid now and loves it. Same as me. Using swype beta keyboard to type with which is very easy and fast to type with one you get the hang of it.

CDH

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
My wife had a pre for about a week. The os is pretty slick. It does take a few seconds to open most apps. The keyboard is very hard to type with. That is the main reason she took it back.

Has a droid now and loves it. Same as me. Using swype beta keyboard to type with which is very easy and fast to type with one you get the hang of it.

mcgeorge36

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I had the pre when it originally came out on sprint. I liked it at first, but back then, it was still kinda buggy and had some issues. Not sure how it is now with the new updates, but since I picked up my droid, I just cant seem to put it down at all. By far, the best phone I have had.

bdoyle8684

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
i just went from a pre to a hero today because my pre kept blowing speakers (5 new pres in 6 months) so far very happy with hero better and i had my pre rooted and highly modified. i havent even begun to try to see what i can do to the hero yet and already like it better then the pre.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Had a Pre on Sprint, switched to the Droid and won't ever go back. The Droid is much more versatile and the apps are simply more plentiful and in many cases, better. WebOS has a beautiful interface and slicker multitasking (the card view is very intuitive and nice) but that can't make up for the overall slowness and lack of app support. Yes they do have some cool 3d games but games alone aren't going to cut it. The Pre does have a free nav program (Telenav) that's ok but it's nothing compared to Googles offering and the GPS simply sucks (it works when it feels like it).

Also if you are a power user, the Droid is definitely the better option right now. There are several very stable roms out for it and more coming. Also it can be overclocked quite easily to double its speed! I run mine at 800mhz and it's rock solid. You can't do any of that with the Pre except maybe themes and some third party apps via Preware. I had preware, ran it and did respect the homebrew community over at Precentral but sorry, Android is far ahead. Also the Droid can take a beating, has a bigger, better screen and a bigger keyboard. It also has a tons virtual keyboards to choose from if the hardware one is not your thing. The Pre has one half-baked excuse for a virtual keyboard so if you like browsing in landscape mode, you're pretty much out of luck if you want to use a nice stable keyboard.

I jumped on the Pre because I was attracted to the interface and WebOS but better things came along and I had to switch. WebOS has a lot of potential but it needs more features, more apps and better, more competitive hardware to run on. And by better I mean a bigger screen, a better keyboard and a more sturdy side-slide mechanism for starters. The processor is good and it has memory to match other devices but you'd never know that when you actually use one.

Last edited:

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's my opinion: I think if/when WebOS gets it's act together with a proper device, it will own Android. Everything is laid out much cleaner and very well thought out.

That being said, the Pre is PAINFULLLLY slow. Like makes me want to pull my hair out slow. Who wants to wait 3-5 seconds just to read a SMS or something?

It's also badly built, with a mediocre keyboard. The keyboard is better than the Droid, for sure, since it can be used one handed, but still bleh.

Plus, the screen size is making the device prematurely archaic. 3.1 inches is just ridiculous nowadays. 3.5 is starting to be the BARE minimum for higher end devices.

It has the same processor as the Droid, but is severely underclocked, and cannot be successfully overclocked due to heating issues, which the Droid has no problem with.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad