Whatsapp are now sharing details and pushing ads

peweuk

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp have apparently changed their terms and conditions to allow them to share phone numbers of users with Facebook, and to allow ads to be sent to users.

They say that you can opt out - see this page https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/general/26000016 - but that option does not appear in my Whatsapp settings.

Does it appear in the settings section of any users out there???

peweuk

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
From the article I understood that you had to accept their new terms but could then opt out of the sharing within 30 days - but the option does not appear in the latest version of whatsapp released on 15th August (the Android version is not relevant as it's the app controlling it).
- that's the issue, as it appears no one has yet had an update from Whatsapp to include it.

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Partner thinks it's ok to allow this but like I say I unticked the box to decline the sharing.

Strange though it doesn't show in settings, perhaps on the next application update.

Loc22

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Partner thinks it's ok to allow this but like I say I unticked the box to decline the sharing.

Strange though it doesn't show in settings, perhaps on the next application update.

It doesn't matter whether you accept or not they will still share your data with Facebook. This was reported in BBC and a few other reputable news portals round the world.

Attachments

• 127505.jpg
    127505.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 8

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
If the box is unticked they being WhatsApp under their terms and conditions will not share data with Facebook.

fablis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Option 2

After you agree to our updated Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, you will have an additional 30 days to make this choice by going to*Settings*>*Account*>*Share my account info*in the app. If you do not want your account information shared with Facebook to improve your Facebook ads and products experiences, you can uncheck the box or toggle the control.

Loc22

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Correct but after that WhatsApp will also share your information with Facebook. See the attached report from BBC

Screenshot_20160827-165305.jpg

Here is another report on this.

Hindustani times.jpg