Is the Wii U done for?

Omega Dave

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
With the Wii U suffering big time since its release, it looks more and more like Nintendo is going to continue to lose even more money. Do you think the Wii U can last any longer? Or do you feel that Nintendo can handle the losses and just deal with it?

This is my belief; I believe that the Wii U is a failure. It's the sad truth, but it is time to simply say that. I don't believe Nintendo has failed, but more their attempt failed. I really think it's time for Nintendo to catch up with Sony and Microsoft by making a true hardcore gamer console. No gimmicks, just a console, with a controller. I know Nintendo can do it, and I know if they just made a simple console, they'll get somewhere.

What do you guys think though?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
With the Wii U suffering big time since its release, it looks more and more like Nintendo is going to continue to lose even more money. Do you think the Wii U can last any longer? Or do you feel that Nintendo can handle the losses and just deal with it?

This is my belief; I believe that the Wii U is a failure. It's the sad truth, but it is time to simply say that. I don't believe Nintendo has failed, but more their attempt failed. I really think it's time for Nintendo to catch up with Sony and Microsoft by making a true hardcore gamer console. No gimmicks, just a console, with a controller. I know Nintendo can do it, and I know if they just made a simple console, they'll get somewhere.

What do you guys think though?

The Wii U is pretty fun. I don't get why people won't give it a chance!

Omega Dave

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I don't see why it's not as popular as the Wii was. It's going to be getting more games this year, so there's still hope for it I guess, but I'm not sure how much hope will keep them going, well, Nintendo that is. I hate saying it's a failure, but I really do think it's time for Nintendo to go back to the drawing board on this one.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I love my Wii U. It's a great party system since it works with the original Wii Remotes and the Gamepad is extremely useful. It's obviously lacking in 3rd party support but I think by the end of its lifespan Nintendo will have put out a large number of excellent titles. I know it's hard waiting on the games but they are coming (eventually). I'd give it an 8/10 overall, but I don't care much for 3rd party titles anyway. If I did it'd definitely rank lower.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I love my Wii U. It's a great party system since it works with the original Wii Remotes and the Gamepad is extremely useful. It's obviously lacking in 3rd party support but I think by the end of its lifespan Nintendo will have put out a large number of excellent titles. I know it's hard waiting on the games but they are coming (eventually). I'd give it an 8/10 overall, but I don't care much for 3rd party titles anyway. If I did it'd definitely rank lower.

Well said.

P.S. Sword Art Online was great.

Fishfam4

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I think it's because of both Kinect and PS Move, along with the fact that the Wii U doesn't offer a decent enough upgrade over the original Wii. (Just aesthetic redesign, gamepad and HD graphics) I haven't touched my Wii since I got my PS3 (and later PS4) two years ago.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it's because of both Kinect and PS Move, along with the fact that the Wii U doesn't offer a decent enough upgrade over the original Wii. (Just aesthetic redesign, gamepad and HD graphics) I haven't touched my Wii since I got my PS3 (and later PS4) two years ago.

You should really give the Wii U a chance. The HD graphics are a much bigger deal than you would expect (see: PS2 -> PS3, Xbox -> 360 but close to the PS4/Xbone graphics) I don't blame you for ignoring the Wii but it had a lot of crap titles outside of Nintendo. The Wii U has slow 3rd party support but at least the support the Wii U does have is pretty decent from a quality standpoint. Plus, 2014 is shaping up to be an excellent year for 1st party titles from Nintendo! :)

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I think a made for wii u Zelda game will turn things around. Also animal crossing, a new Mario etc...
Nintendo should have had a stronger line up of titles from the get go

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Wii U is an awesome console! With the new Mario Kart, and with the upcoming smash bros, will bring more money to nintendo. But i think that they have to open their minds and stop being so closed. If they expand their games to cellphones they will bring a lot more money.

BillyWestCode

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Wii U is an awesome console! With the new Mario Kart, and with the upcoming smash bros, will bring more money to nintendo. But i think that they have to open their minds and stop being so closed. If they expand their games to cellphones they will bring a lot more money.
That would kill their best selling console though, very unlikely it will happen

RED team

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Wii U is very popular in Japan, most games are made there and for Japaneese. I think, if there would be more game developers for Wii U, it becomes more popular)

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
just traded my wii u in and all the accessories and games to get 2 of the 2ds xl. for the kids. Got the switch a few months ago so i figured trade in the wii u before the price gets too low to be worth the trade in. If anything i can buy it again later at dirt cheap and the games too. just like when the wii came out the gamecube games were like $2

DDRC

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Does anyone here have issues with their WII U regarding the disks being read? Some of my kids best WII U games are just not being recognized by the console and the disks look really clean. I tried cleaning the laser, but still no luck. Thanks for any feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge