What do Android users think of WP7

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I've talked a little bit about what I think, but to sum it all up I think Microsoft has a real winner here -- if they finish it up. Right now it seems a little incomplete, and a version one product. Understandable, but I hope MS doesn't drop the ball.

When Verizon offers a WP7 and the early adopters flock back to big red, I'll be looking for a used GSM model to play with.

What do you guys think?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I can't decide whether I like the interface or not. On one hand, I hate it's simplicity. I think it's ugly and lacks any sort of customizability, other than changing the color. But at the same time, it's genius. They combined the ease of use of iOS and the amount of information from Android widgets, and made it just work.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it will take time to get used too but as of right now, I do not like the UI. Not for me. I like having my screens to do as I want. I only played with it for a little bit at a store but overall, it was smooth for me at least and quick. And normally I would be like well so aren't other phones but this was a store demo that others plays with and it was not laggy.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The concept of live tiles is good, but the only app that has support is facebook. So to me it just eye candy. The transitions are fine and well but they get boring for me after a couple of days. Also I don't like how the apps were presented in one single column.

As the os itself, I have no complaints about it. The device (I was using an LG device) was snappy and fast.

PS: I had the lg windows phone for a week.

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The concept of live tiles is good, but the only app that has support is facebook. So to me it just eye candy. The transitions are fine and well but they get boring for me after a couple of days. Also I don't like how the apps were presented in one single column.

As the os itself, I have no complaints about it. The device (I was using an LG device) was snappy and fast.

PS: I had the lg windows phone for a week.

there are a lot of apps that use live tiles. youi have it confused with the people hub support.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've played with one the a store and just wasn't fan of the UI at all. It may work for some but it's not for me. I would probably upgrade my BlackBerry before I went with a Windows phone...

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You cant ask me my opinion and not get a long winded answer. haha

First of all, the notion of a smartphone that was based around a gigantic touchscreen that took up the whole screen PRETTY MUCH started with apple. sure other devices had the idea, but no one put all the elements into ONE device AND made it mainstream like apple did.

problem is, when your the first of your kind, how do you define standards for interacting with a new way of using the phone.

sure apple did a lot of R&D to come up with the interface they finally settled on for the iphone. when you look at when they have, you look at it with the knowledge that before that, there was desktop interfaces which everyone knows.

so they had a "desktop" style view with icons that you could move around. hard not to make comparisons to desktop pcs but they pioneered a UI based on what we already knew a way to interact with computing devices.

so android comes out, everyone is hopping on the "giant touchscreen, minimal buttons" bandwagon, and android ends up getting a UI similar to iphone (desktop style view with icons for apps, with addition of widgets and stuff)

after the UI of android and iOS matured for a few years, microsoft sought a way to redefine interacting with a giant touchscreen.

I think the windows phone 7 UI is AMAZING. not becuase its especially pretty, but it is a truly new way of thinking how to use a touchscreen based OS. they didnt try to bring the Pc desktop to the phone. they re imagined the touchscreen phone as a whole.

however, the OS is too new, its like how android was in its early days. not enough features, early adopter problems. missing features. WP7 might take off in a few years, but right now, its just not up there.

I will say that the UI is amazing. I'd totally get a windows phone but the OS needs another year or so before its ready to do the things that I can do on an android phone today.

I do use Metro UI Pro and the Zune music app for my android phone to replicate the ui on windows phone 7. its not exactly the same and never will be, but its a much better way to use my phone then the stock android UI

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I like it and never rule anything out unless it's kill by the manufacturer.

I'm a zune pass subscriber, so that part of it is awesome for me. I'm not an xbox user, though, so no appeal for me there.

Two things stop me. I'm a spec whore. Lol. WP7 doesn't need the highest specs (it's super smooth as is), but having last gen hardware is not appealing to me.

Second, it doesn't have some of the functionality I want, and won't until the Mango update.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I like the xbox live integration. I don't like the tiles thing though. I may have to play around with one more. I still think Microsoft should have two mobile OS. One for business (like the old windows mobile) and one toy phone (like windows phone). By going all toy phone they lost the business crowd. Blackberry owned most of it, but Microsoft was doing good in it.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
used it for 8 months... had an htc hd7... love the OS , the metro UI is awesome. and it is much smoother than android, hate to say it but it is. however, it is still fairly new and has a lot of progress to be made. it is simple, sleek, and sexy. just cant cistomize it very much at all. and there is a lack of apps and games. overall i think MS has a winner to phil, just needs some tweeking and ability to customize a little deeper.

Johann13

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I just cant justify buying a Windows phone, personally I'm not a fan of the ui, but more importantly I just don't trust Microsoft to give me a product that is going to last two years while in a service contract.

travelerdawg

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I want to share a link with all the android community. It will work on your phones browser but not sure if it will work on your desktop browser. Here is a demo of the Mango Metro Windows 7.5 UI http//m.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/demo

I actually managed to get it to work with my MT3G! Very interesting! :confused:

thekrayze

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I feel obligated to speak on this matter.
I am a user of all mobile OS. My wife has an iphone and ipad. i have used an ipod touch for almost a year before getting a WP7 handset. i also have a tablet, HP Touchpad with CM9 installed. I am a frequent user of WebOS and ICS android.
The obvious comparatives
Apps - not as many, but still a good selection. do i with there were more; yes and no. for my frequent usage of twitter, facebook email for gmail and hotmail i am set. the integration of twitter and facebook into the phone without the need for apps if tremendous. on android, webos, and my ipod (2nd gen, so not able ot use iOS5) i spend/spent about 10 - 15 mins in each app checking statuses, posting my updates, reading pages, etc... with WP7, i used the people tile, look at them both at the same time, i am done in half the time and on my way. I can post to both twitter and facebook at the same time, no need to type the same message twice (great for people who like to post on both) i also have the option to only post to one from the same tile.
email is the same. both accounts are in the same tile, i see both, i can email for either account by simple selecting when i compose a new message.
for those that use IM, facebook message, etc... i can do all that on my phone without opening the app. i go to my messaging tile, and type to whom ever. if they send me a message via facebook, but go offline, i can easily keep the same conversation open and choose to txt them immediately.
OS - it is beautiful. plain and simple. it is smooth, plain and simple. the best part is the live tiles. the weather channel for instance. it is one of the first set of icons i see when i unlock. within 20 seconds i would say, i know what the weather is (temp, conditions) then i close my phone. no need to go into the app and see. it also shows me a radar at the same time (be it 20 or so seconds later once the tile live updates again)
its not perfect, dont get me wrong, but none of the OS's were early in their life.
i respect some people when they say the OS released this last (compared to when other OS's were released) it should have all the same features as the current platforms, and then some. which i agree, i also disagree. most notably is copy/paste. it should have been there day one, but it did not take away from the OS in all honestly. it is very versatile and is enjoyable if i was limited to one word.

again, i am not some fan boy who only uses WP7 and no other OS. i use my table daily for everything.
movies, web surfing, gaming, facebook, twitter, etc... one would say i use my tablet (again, HP touchpad with WebOS and Android ICS) more than my phone. but i would give up both those OS's if i could installed WP7/WP8 on this tablet. and i love my WebOS and Android.
I can truely say though, iOS is boring to me after using the other 3. i like to multitasking of WebOS and ICS, i love the customization and controlabiltiy of WebOS and ICS, but WP7 is just simple, smooth and to the point and that makes it my choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835