Tethering with Moto X inferior compared to Win Phone 8

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, I have been having Tethering issues and blaming the network mostly as the local cell company were convinced after they did a lot of testing, it was not the X and therefore must be their system. So much for that plan.

Yesterday my win8, Nokia 520 arrived. I bought it to play with windows and I gotta say, windows sucks big time except for "Internet Sharing." Win's version of Tethering.

I used a Nano to Micro adapter and plugged the SIM from the X into the 520. I added an APN URL and wow. Awesome speed and efficiency all last night and again today. No hiccups, no long delays, no dropped connectivity with "Limited" showing, just clean fast Internet. I can't believe we have been suffering the X Tethering for two months. Google needs to lift their game big time for the Android Tethering.

As a phone system, win8 is like stepping back into a darkened cave, so now I am torn between the crappy windows and great Tethering or the great phone and crappy Tethering. Considering we use around 95GB of data a month, the Tethering is more important than voice and texts. Aaarrgghhh!

Last edited by a moderator:

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Re: Tethering X sucks, compared to Win Phone 8

Since this is a new thread with no back story describing your tethering issues on your Moto X, I'm inclined to lean toward the issues being with your carrier or your specific Moto X. Along with many others, I tether regularly and haven't had any problems, issuing AT&T (GoPhone) with a Developer Edition Moto X.

That said, you obviously tether more than I do (my total monthly usage is always under 1GB), so you're definitely more likely to notice issues than I am.

Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Uncle, I suspect casual Tethering is probably OK, but as you have noted, we use a lot of data as we have done away with out DSL. BUT, the issue-base is pretty conclusive by swapping back and forth between the 520 and the X. The 520 has not yet so much as stuttered. Last night with the 520, 5-hours for 2-laptops streaming movies and not a hiccup. Same again this morning and hen I swapped back to the X the crap started again. Not surprising I am back with the 520 now.

If you check my postings you will see some background on this subject. :)

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I must confess: WP8 is not a "bad" OS.
Don't know about the newer models, had the HTC 8X on Verizon and thought it was fine. Verizon, well that's another story.
One problem I had was: when using it as a GPS it would get HOT when used over a prolonged period of time.
Used the X today for navigation and guess what?
Yup, it got hot when used over a period of time. Both are dual-core ....that's about it.
Not comparing the two as the X is newer, has much better hardware.
OS wise:
Android has more work being done by more people to smooth out the rough edges.
WP8 still has it's good points.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

WP8 is not a "bad" OS.

Yeah, I like it. For a long time I thought there would be a time when I'd be willing to move to a Windows phone. By now, though, I'm too invested in Google's ecosystem and the app selection for WP is still way behind.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

As has been said, WP8 is not bad, just quite clunky and nothing close to the slickness of the X. While msoft claims 120,000 apps the ones I have tried have all had unbelievable demands for Permissions or have been back in the dark ages, almost DOS-like.

I am trying to find ways to stay with the X and just use the Nokia for data, but that gets cost-wise-silly, so for now, until Android or Moto (not sure who is to blame) fixes this issue, I have to use the 520 and WP8 for everything. That also sucks because we have several other Android phones and tablets so now nothing syncs up with the WP8. Arrrggggh. :)

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I looked back at your old posts and I didn't see any posts about tethering problems on your X. Maybe I missed it? I did see at least 2 posts that said your tethering worked "fine." So was it fine and then all of a sudden not fine? What exactly is it doing that isn't good enough?

Lloydbm4

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumina 1520 and a 520 to go with my Moto X. I have zero issues tethering with either. Sounds more like a hardware issue or incorrect settings on your Moto X. Regardless, if the 520 works, stick with it for your tethering needs, but it isn't Motorola or Googles fault for the issue, otherwise I would also have it as I use 10gb of data a month with much of that time tethering via my Moto X (on AT&T).

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I looked back at your old posts and I didn't see any posts about tethering problems on your X. Maybe I missed it?

Sorry, I may be getting forums crossed up. I am old, I do that. When it was working fine, I was only using it casually but now that we have dropped the DSL and using it full time for the household data, (laptops, phones and tablets) some 90GB/month, problems are showing up.

We frequently get "Limited connection" from laptops and "waiting for..." or "time out" with browsers, sometimes five minutes at a time with websites on the wifi-attached tablets and phones. When it is working the X is great, even with two laptops streaming movies and kids surfing.

I am not sure if it is the phone or Android, but the winph8 Nokia 520 is currently tethered and has been handling it all for two days without a hiccup. This morning I decided to try the X again just in case it was a cell-service thing, but five minutes in "Limited" and "Timed out," swapped the SIM back to the 520 and it has been going all day.

I really do not like winph8 and would love to get back to the X but cannot afford two pre-paid data-packs, so I am stuck with the 520 so we can get full data streaming and we have not seen a single event mentioned above with the 520. Sucks! :)

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
but it isn't Motorola or Googles fault for the issue, otherwise I would also have it as I use 10gb

So, where should I start looking for the fix? If it is hardware then surely, it must be something to do with Motorola and if it is software then Google. If it is settings then why does it work some of the time? We have had two or three hours where the X was fine at Tethering. The 520 on the other hand is fine all the time and as far as I can tell they are set up identically and using the same SIM. Not leaving a great deal of room for error there. I suspect that Android is doing something in the background that is hogging the data stream fro something.

The other night after one hour of intermittent problems it declared seven apps had just been updated. I now have updates for everything turned off but still can't get more than an hour or two without issues.

Sadly, it is not a matter of staying with the 520 just for data as I do not want to double the cost just so I can use my preferred phone, the X for carrying around.

Actually, I will try turning off all background task, I remember seeing something about that in the Dev setup. I REALLY want the X to work as I do not like winph8.

John Doe40

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea why you have issues with yours... My Moto X's tethering worked perfectly on AT&T's LTE network - I've already used it several times when the awful (they ALL are in this country) Verizon ISP was doing random maintenance on their FiOS network. I've used it with my laptop (MacBook Pro), my tablets (both iOS and Android-powered) and other devices - they all connected perfectly through Moto X and stayed connected until I manually switched the WiFi networks for them...

I must confess: WP8 is not a "bad" OS.
It's not "bad" if you're one of those people who actually don't "need" to use smartphones at all and/or don't care about making your smartphone more personalized. I've tried using it for a while, I couldn't stand its extremely limited (worse than on iOS devices) OS customization, including extremely limited system settings. Same goes for the awful stock browser (and you don't really have a choice there - all other "browsers" for WP8 are just "shells" using same Trident engine), stock e-mail app, stock "People" app (whatever it was called), as well as SEVERE lack of useful apps. I use a few dozens of apps almost every day on my Android phones for various things related to work or to things like monitoring remote cameras, sending location data to car's GPS system, using several proprietary Bluetooth-connected devices, etc. - there weren't and most likely still aren't any WP8 alternatives available to ANY of those apps. Same goes for games. All I've seen in WP8's app store are dozens and dozens of unofficial clones for FB and similar social apps, or some garbage "program/app guide" apps which were just a collection of screenshots with information stolen from some random website OR a fancy "wrapper" for a browser leading to some random website with stolen information there.

The ONLY reason ANYONE should consider using WP8 device for is the Nokia's excellent built-in camera. There are no other reasons. At all. If anyone likes WP8's GUI (I honestly don't) - they can always make their Android device to look and function exactly the same, with an additional benefit of doing much, MUCH more on it.

Last edited:

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It's not "bad" if you're one of those people who actually don't "need" to use smartphones at all and/or don't care about making your smartphone more personalized. I've tried using it for a while, I couldn't stand its extremely limited (worse than on iOS devices) OS customization, including extremely limited system settings. Same goes for the awful stock browser (and you don't really have a choice there - all other "browsers" for WP8 are just "shells" using same Trident engine), stock e-mail app, stock "People" app (whatever it was called), as well as SEVERE lack of useful apps. I use a few dozens of apps almost every day on my Android phones for various things related to work or to things like monitoring remote cameras, sending location data to car's GPS system, using several proprietary Bluetooth-connected devices, etc. - there weren't and most likely still aren't any WP8 alternatives available to ANY of those apps. Same goes for games. All I've seen in WP8's app store are dozens and dozens of unofficial clones for FB and similar social apps, or some garbage "program/app guide" apps which were just a collection of screenshots with information stolen from some random website OR a fancy "wrapper" for a browser leading to some random website with stolen information there.

The ONLY reason ANYONE should consider using WP8 device for is the Nokia's excellent built-in camera. There are no other reasons. At all. If anyone likes WP8's GUI (I honestly don't) - they can always make their Android device to look and function exactly the same, with an additional benefit of doing much, MUCH more on it.

This is an Android Forum.
I'm glad you tried using it for awhile. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781