What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think you are right! They were here from the beginning, but never really had a flagship phone on WP8. I think it's great as it gives competition. Competition is always good for us customers :)

I thought the 8X was the flagship phone with WP? It was even said by Microsoft it was the premier WP8 device. I think the M8 with Windows is the premiere WP8.1 device.

Posted via the Android Central App

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought the 8X was the flagship phone with WP? It was even said by Microsoft it was the premier WP8 device. I think the M8 with Windows is the premiere WP8.1 device.

It was totally overshadowed by the 920 in most every way. I feel this one mostly is by the 930 but that doesn't cause any major disinterest as a result. Two very different devices to lead Nokia into a new era.

casaout

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

Definitely. And the phone is great, indeed. I have a couple of colleagues who are really happy with it. But also back then it was no flagship (at least to me): inferior hardware (to Android phones for example) and no real 'selling' point, compared to Lumias, and other competition phones. Nevertheless, a great phone - which also looked great ;)

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It was totally overshadowed by the 920 in most every way. I feel this one mostly is by the 930 but that doesn't cause any major disinterest as a result. Two very different devices to lead Nokia into a new era.

It was only overshadowed by Nokia fans, it was on way more carriers and had wider availability. It was on very carrier barring Sprint, while the 920 was an AT&T exclusive.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Definitely. And the phone is great, indeed. I have a couple of colleagues who are really happy with it. But also back then it was no flagship (at least to me): inferior hardware (to Android phones for example) and no real 'selling' point, compared to Lumias, and other competition phones. Nevertheless, a great phone - which also looked great ;)

To be fair there were only a few apps that make it a selling point at that time. Both had wireless charging, and the same specs, the HTC 8X was more one handed friendly though.

rjmlive

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm visiting from Windows Phone land. I've always liked the look of the M8 and said to myself that I would love to see Windows Phone on that device. That camera though.. it's just really a shame. Still works of course, but it's the only weak link. I'm used to the power button on the side and dedicated camera button as well.

Ir Blaster would be cool although I don't think it's used by many people often. I'd like to hear how often people use it.
MicroSD is awesome and something Nokia has omitted on everything but low end and the 1520. It's really too bad.
Blinkfeed looks really good and is Metro style already.
That dot cover.. ok.. neat I guess.
Strange for me to admit, but I think I like the polycarbonate over the aluminum. I never have a case for my Lumia's and they are truly very durable.
It's cool to see an Android flagship run Windows Phone. Android OEM's can salvage hardware investments for an easier decision to support Windows Phone.
I think I like the principle of the phone just as much as the phone itself.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm visiting from Windows Phone land. I've always liked the look of the M8 and said to myself that I would love to see Windows Phone on that device. That camera though.. it's just really a shame. Still works of course, but it's the only weak link. I'm used to the power button on the side and dedicated camera button as well.

Ir Blaster would be cool although I don't think it's used by many people often. I'd like to hear how often people use it.
MicroSD is awesome and something Nokia has omitted on everything but low end and the 1520. It's really too bad.
Blinkfeed looks really good and is Metro style already.
That dot cover.. ok.. neat I guess.
Strange for me to admit, but I think I like the polycarbonate over the aluminum. I never have a case for my Lumia's and they are truly very durable.
It's cool to see an Android flagship run Windows Phone. Android OEM's can salvage hardware investments for an easier decision to support Windows Phone.
I think I like the principle of the phone just as much as the phone itself.

No offense, but posts like yours is the reason why hardware OEMs are reluctant to make hardware for WP. Why make a WP when everyone is so infatuated with Nokia? HTC was brave to do a WP, but will it be another 2 years when they make another one? Manufacturers know where there bread is buttered and Android remains at the forefront.

I wish more Nokia fans saw Nokia devices aren't that special and all WPs are pretty much the same. If they ventured out tried more OEMs they would be more willing to make more phones but who wants to compete with 90%+ market share of WP with Nokia? I know I wouldn't.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No offense, but posts like yours is the reason why hardware OEMs are reluctant to make hardware for WP. Why make a WP when everyone is so infatuated with Nokia? HTC was brave to do a WP, but will it be another 2 years when they make another one? Manufacturers know where there bread is buttered and Android remains at the forefront.

I wish more Nokia fans saw Nokia devices aren't that special and all WPs are pretty much the same. If they ventured out tried more OEMs they would be more willing to make more phones but who wants to compete with 90%+ market share of WP with Nokia? I know I wouldn't.

I have no loyalty. The second another OEM makes a good Windows phone with a good camera, I'm down. I couldn't settle for the m8 camera though. Had the Android version a month or so ago and I couldn't do it.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site

When the 920 and 8X were released, there was a lot of interest in both phones by WP users. There were tons of threads comparing the two. Make no doubt about it, the 920 was a superior phone with superior apps and superior support and that's why it sold much better. You are way wrong in thinking that the two phones were equivalent and that people just chose the Nokia phone because they were fans. WP users were coming from Samsung, LG and HTC (yes, HTC) Windows 7 phones at that time, but the clear choice was the 920. Most had not had Nokia experience on WP as the 900 was only a half year old.

If the M8 is a great device on Windows Phone, as expected, it will do well because WP users will still generally pick good phones over brand loyalty. The only caveat to that is that HTC needs to have much better support this go-round.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have no loyalty. The second another OEM makes a good Windows phone with a good camera, I'm down. I couldn't settle for the m8 camera though. Had the Android version a month or so ago and I couldn't do it.

What was so bad about it? By all reports the M8 with Windows had a much faster camera than a comparable Lumia.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
When the 920 and 8X were released, there was a lot of interest in both phones by WP users. There were tons of threads comparing the two. Make no doubt about it, the 920 was a superior phone with superior apps and superior support and that's why it sold much better. You are way wrong in thinking that the two phones were equivalent and that people just chose the Nokia phone because they were fans. WP users were coming from Samsung, LG and HTC (yes, HTC) Windows 7 phones at that time, but the clear choice was the 920. Most had not had Nokia experience on WP as the 900 was only a half year old.

If the M8 is a great device on Windows Phone, as expected, it will do well because WP users will still generally pick good phones over brand loyalty. The only caveat to that is that HTC needs to have much better support this go-round.

What do you mean much better support? They are supported the same, Microsoft allows Nokia to do their color named updates too which gives people the illusion all other OEMs are slackers when that is not true. Nokia gets preferential treatment. And even then, aren't a good number of people using Dev Preview? It can be used on the M8 with Windows top, so the color updates are the only difference.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean much better support? They are supported the same, Microsoft allows Nokia to do their color named updates too which gives people the illusion all other OEMs are slackers when that is not true. Nokia gets preferential treatment. And even then, aren't a good number of people using Dev Preview? It can be used on the M8 with Windows top, so the color updates are the only difference.

Actually, since WP8, all OEMs have had this ability and just elected not to. Hell, HTC won't even update drivers for the 8s so it's about to EOL despite having virtually the same hardware as budget Lumias. The dev preview was on 7 percent of Windows phone at it's peak so with a lot of us officially updating, it's unlikely that that number is near that point anymore.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually, since WP8, all OEMs have had this ability and just elected not to. Hell, HTC won't even update drivers for the 8s so it's about to EOL despite having virtually the same hardware as budget Lumias. The dev preview was on 7 percent of Windows phone at it's peak so with a lot of us officially updating, it's unlikely that that number is near that point anymore.

For all the bug updates HTC is updating the 8X at least right? So what's the issue? I feel Nokia fans are becoming like a cult, hostile to any other OEM other than Nokia, but always claim up and down bringing in more OEMs help WP, when they refuse to buy anything but Nokia.

It is almost like a wasted effort, if the HTC M8 with Windows flops, I will blame the Nokia fans.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It could not entice me enough, even with a brushed aluminum body... That camera really puts me off. Despite the idea behind the depth of focus, you are still left with low resolution results that are not what is expected from flagship phones today. There are other Windows Phones that meet the HTC One M8 at that spec level...

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
It could not entice me enough, even with a brushed aluminum body... That camera really puts me off. Despite the idea behind the depth of focus, you are still left with low resolution results that are not what is expected from flagship phones today. There are other Windows Phones that meet the HTC One M8 at that spec level...

No there are not. The M8 with Windows is the most high specced WP device out.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Another great option for WP users. The more the better as that OS is probably the least
understood and definitely the best kept secret but the least respected of all. I'm thinking of picking up that HTC myself.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Another great option for WP users. The more the better as that OS is probably the least
understood and definitely the best kept secret but the least respected of all. I'm thinking of picking up that HTC myself.

I honestly think BB10 is the more best kept secret, and least respected. It has way more function than WP, but has less of an ecosystem.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No there are not. The M8 with Windows is the most high specced WP device out.

What does One M8 have that a Lumia 930 is lacking? Or a 1520? Let's not quibble over a small tweak here or there... Or the zero-point-one GHz extra clocking on the CPU from the very same chipset.

Granted the pixel per inch density on M8 is higher than 1520's, but at that level (greater than 350 ppi) it just becomes overkill hyped by Apple's Retina campaign... And the 930 matches the ppi of M8 at 441ppi.

Stereo speakers? But where's the FM radio?

What exactly prompts your assurance that M8 stands alone?

HTC One (M8) for Windows (CDMA) vs. Nokia Lumia 930 - GSMArena.com

[EDIT] OK so on closer look the chipsets have a slightly differing model #, but CPU and GPU wise they are nearly identical. [/EDIT]

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae