Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 93
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

    What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?-1408471151423.jpg

    What operating system compliments the HTC One more? Android with HTC Sense or Windows Phone?

    I've posted this on the Windows Phone forums as well, let's see who comes up with better reasons.
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

    Depends what you mean by compliments. Judging from the photo I'm guessing you mean aesthetics. Windows Phone compliments it more visually because no matter how rubbish it is, it has to be said...it's beautiful.

    But I'd still much prefer Android on it any day. I suppose you could mess around with launchers or widgets to make it pretty too.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  3. #3  

    Default Re: What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

    I don't think we should see it like that. People that want to try Windows Phone now have a great choice. Android fans have also the same choice, so it's great that the best phone is available on multiple platforms. Everybody should choose according to his needs.
    Of course on Android there is more room for customization. On Windows Phone there are not a lot of things HTC can do to differentiate apart from offering its own hub and apps.
    I just wish there were an iOS version too, but this will unfortunately never happen. Even better, it would be great people had the choice to download and install the OS of their choice.
    We have that choice on PC's and Macs, so why not have it on smartphones too?

    Posted via the Android Central App
    iMac 27" mid 2013, iPad Air 64GB Cellular White/Silver, HTC One M8 Gunmetal gray
  4. #4  
    MDMcAtee's Avatar

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts

    Default Re: What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

    You need a picture of 8.1 and the transparent tiles with a nice wallpaper showing through.

    That's the only way I ran it.

    Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8
  5. #5  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

    I'd say Android, considering that's what it was originally designed with, as well as past HTC devices (even though they do have Windows devices). It does make a nice looking W8 phone, which IMO was much needed.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  6. #6  
    z33dev33l's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

    Default What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Well, today HTC hosted a nice little press conference to announce something that was of some interest to many people, a re-release of the M8 with Windows Phone on it. Now, unlike a lot of manufacturers who have just reused the same housing, this is an actual direct copy of the HTC M8 that you all love, only running a new OS. This phone with Android on it is, in many people's opinions, the best device out at present winning a staggering number of design awards. With Windows Phone 8, it brings something that is new to us to the market, a device with a reputation that's not only favoring the camera.

    On top of that, there's already talks with the introduction of this device, paired with unlockable bootloaders that we will be able to dual-boot OSes, something that hasn't been done practically since the HD2 that was one of the most revered devices of our day. I think that paired with the abilities the dot case has added in launching Cortana from the lock screen and other such features makes for an absolutely profound turn for Windows Phone. With Samsung facing major litigation for not upholding contracts with Microsoft, there's never been a better time for another OEM to make a sizable splash in the market. I think HTC might be the ones to do it.

    All this said, I'm not personally excited for the device. Sadly, the subpar camera ran me off from my M8 running android. This paired with the lack of the dedicated camera button eliminated a huge part of my usage for Windows Phone with it's amazing photo and video editing capabilities as the camera was rendered mostly useless. That said, I'm interested in seeing just how well the M8 performs with Windows Phone. I'm also pretty excited to see just how well soft buttons work on the OS as this is the first instance in which they're used. Either way, I feel like this could be a pivotal point for Windows Phone. Not that it's going to steal some massive chunk of market share but I feel this might garner some genuine interest.
    rjmlive and spartanguy83 like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Will buy it off contract


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    casaout likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    I like it. I am now considering the M8 with Windows, the BlackBerry classic and the Moto X+1 as potential devices to buy before this year is out.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Good to see HTC looking into other OSes.
    They missed an opportunity to call it the W8 😅

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    A895 likes this.
  10. #10  
    z33dev33l's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Good to see HTC looking into other OSes.
    They missed an opportunity to call it the W8 😅

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    I said the same thing but I'm pretty sure the people who name their phones are on drugs. With the m7, m8, one X, one X +, one S and whatever else they come up with, how many ones do you get o_0
  11. #11  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    I said the same thing but I'm pretty sure the people who name their phones are on drugs. With the m7, m8, one X, one X +, one S and whatever else they come up with, how many ones do you get o_0
    Maybe they think THEY'RE number one?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  12. #12  

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Maybe they think THEY'RE number one?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    😕😐

    Posted via the Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I like it. I am now considering the M8 with Windows, the BlackBerry classic and the Moto X+1 as potential devices to buy before this year is out.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I love the M8s form factor, it way too tall for me though. If they made it shorter and slightly thinner, I would be on board. But that height won't work well for me.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    I'm confused. Does that mean your whole Huge Phones thread was a farce?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLobIaw View Post
    I'm confused. Does that mean your whole Huge Phones thread was a farce?
    I said consider not buy, I will check them out in person and see if I may be swayed to get them. But I may just get the BlackBerry classic, as I prefer smaller devices. I don't do farces.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  15. #15  

    Default Re: What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

    I like it, I may give it a shot. I've been very interested in giving Windows operating system a run

    Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
    rjmlive likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smply_Rcklss View Post
    I like it, I may give it a shot. I've been very interested in giving Windows operating system a run

    Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
    Same here, they just lack hardware availability.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    rjmlive likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I said consider not buy, I will check them out in person and see if I may be swayed to get them. But I may just get the BlackBerry classic, as I prefer smaller devices. I don't do farces.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    OK. I thought you said any phone above 4.7" was a deal-breaker for you so I wasn't sure why you were now considering the M8 when you weren't before. If you like it, it will certainly solve your size problem.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobLobIaw View Post
    OK. I thought you said any phone above 4.7" was a deal-breaker for you so I wasn't sure why you were now considering the M8 when you weren't before. If you like it, it will certainly solve your size problem.
    I have always remarked I love the M8, and I still wish it was shorter, mofo is tall. But I do need a new phone and I am weighing options, for me to remark and say I may consider it is not off base. I still have a big phone problem, that is why I said I am considering this, the BlackBerry Classic and the Moto X+1. All 3 are going to be on Verizon and I can choose from there, though I am more slanted towards the BlackBerry Classic because of the smaller form factor.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  19. #19  
    casaout's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

    Default Re: What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

    Actually, I like it a lot! The OS is now very mature, the apps I need are now available (and more), and the phone looks gorgeous!
    rjmlive likes this.
  20. #20  
    casaout's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    I think you are right! They were here from the beginning, but never really had a flagship phone on WP8. I think it's great as it gives competition. Competition is always good for us customers
  21. #21  

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by casaout View Post
    I think you are right! They were here from the beginning, but never really had a flagship phone on WP8. I think it's great as it gives competition. Competition is always good for us customers
    I thought the 8X was the flagship phone with WP? It was even said by Microsoft it was the premier WP8 device. I think the M8 with Windows is the premiere WP8.1 device.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  22. #22  
    z33dev33l's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I thought the 8X was the flagship phone with WP? It was even said by Microsoft it was the premier WP8 device. I think the M8 with Windows is the premiere WP8.1 device.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    It was totally overshadowed by the 920 in most every way. I feel this one mostly is by the 930 but that doesn't cause any major disinterest as a result. Two very different devices to lead Nokia into a new era.
    BobLobIaw likes this.
  23. #23  
    casaout's Avatar

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    I thought the 8X was the flagship phone with WP? It was even said by Microsoft it was the premier WP8 device. I think the M8 with Windows is the premiere WP8.1 device.
    Definitely. And the phone is great, indeed. I have a couple of colleagues who are really happy with it. But also back then it was no flagship (at least to me): inferior hardware (to Android phones for example) and no real 'selling' point, compared to Lumias, and other competition phones. Nevertheless, a great phone - which also looked great
  24. #24  

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    It was totally overshadowed by the 920 in most every way. I feel this one mostly is by the 930 but that doesn't cause any major disinterest as a result. Two very different devices to lead Nokia into a new era.
    It was only overshadowed by Nokia fans, it was on way more carriers and had wider availability. It was on very carrier barring Sprint, while the 920 was an AT&T exclusive.

    Posted via the Android Central App
  25. #25  

    Default Re: What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

    Quote Originally Posted by casaout View Post
    Definitely. And the phone is great, indeed. I have a couple of colleagues who are really happy with it. But also back then it was no flagship (at least to me): inferior hardware (to Android phones for example) and no real 'selling' point, compared to Lumias, and other competition phones. Nevertheless, a great phone - which also looked great
    To be fair there were only a few apps that make it a selling point at that time. Both had wireless charging, and the same specs, the HTC 8X was more one handed friendly though.

    Posted via the Android Central App
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rooted my SPH-L900. Now what?
    By bongolock in forum Sprint Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2014, 12:47 AM
  2. do you have any battery saving apps installed?
    By preppystud in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-22-2014, 10:08 PM
  3. Accessing notification window on lockscreen with a pattern lock
    By Alex Wetzel in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2014, 12:35 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2014, 06:30 PM
  5. Phone calling people I haven't
    By cubcubz in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2014, 06:18 PM

Posting Permissions