Music pauses when my Redmi Note 3 is upside down. How to turn this feature off in Android 5.1?

A

AC Question

It turns out to be a really frustrating feature since volume does go down (as well as voice gets a bit muffled) when the phone’s screen is on the top. How can we solve this problem?

mayankj22

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
@Pugs1957 - I don't think Android 5.1 has any such setting! Could you be more specific by showing the steps?

I had searched the whole net but still couldn't find an answer to this (except old posts dating back to 2012 or 13).

mayankj22

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I don't think the Settings has any option called "My Device". AN option which closely resembles is "About phone" but that too has no option such as motions and gestures.

It only has information such as Android version etc

mayankj22

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I don't think the Settings has any option called "My Device". AN option which closely resembles is "About phone" but that too has no option such as motions and gestures.

It only has information such as Android version etc

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Moved to the Xiaomi forum.

Can you clarify--when you say the phone is upside down, do you mean that you're turning it over on a surface such that the phone is face down? And is the volume going down on the main speakers, or on a wired/Bluetooth headset?

mayankj22

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I mean when the screen of the phone faces a surface, the music/recordings being played (such as in Whatsapp) automatically stops. I guess that's the default setting with which every Android phone comes these days.

Isn't there a way to stop this, so that the music/recordings keep playing even when the phone's screen is towards an obstruction?

mayankj22

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I don't think that addresses my problem. I'm talking about the main speakers on phone. Let me explain with an example.

Sometimes I do listen to long speeches which are stored in my Whatsapp in the form of recordings. To increase the volume, I keep my phone upside down (with proximity sensor facing the surface). However, the recording stops playing.

I think this happens in other Android devices too. Is there a way to stop this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I see now. Let me ask you this--when you put the phone facedown on a surface, does the screen automatically go to sleep? Some phones use the proximity sensor to figure out if the phone is in your pocket/purse, or if the flipcover of a case is closed. (The latter is not typical, though--most phones that have this function use magnetic sensors, not the proximity sensor.)

Also, I just found this: How Prevent Pocket Dials work on Xiaomi phone running MIUI V5 ?. Make sure Prevent Pocket Dials is turned off.

mayankj22

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Yup, that is the problem.

However, the problem still persists. See the screenshot, all my incoming call settings are turned off. Still the recording/music pauses while being played on Whatsapp.

Screenshot_2016-06-22-10-42-10_com.android.phone.jpg

mayankj22

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I found "Prevent Pocket Dials" setting in the Lock screen and fingerprint tab, but it was turned off as default. Still the recording/music pauses while being played on Whatsapp.

Screenshot_2016-06-22-10-59-31_com.android.settings.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A-ha! I think I found the issue: https://www.whatsapp.com/faq/en/iphone/30082257

It's probably sounding muffled because the sound is switching from the main speaker to the earpiece speaker when the phone is facedown. This is because it thinks you're holding it up to your ear (thanks to the proximity sensor), and therefore assumes you want to listen through the earpiece, and not the main speaker. Not sure if there's a way to disable this.

ktfcoyote

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi. I may have found the way to stop this. Caveat: I have an Lg G5 and my music files are saved as video files. (Don't ask! LOL!) That function is actually part of the player. Turn on the player itself and check the settings. Mine has the option to 'Flip to Pause', which I toggled to 'off'. End of problem.