[GUIDE] Unlocking (& re-locking) the Motorola Xoom

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The following will VOID your warranty but will easily unlock the Xoom for fast software flashes using a custom recovery and will allow flashing root files or manipulated system files on to your current software installation.

This will ERASE your Xoom.

1) Get the Motorola USB drivers MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers (you need to sign up on their but maybe you can google this and find it as well)

2) Get the Android SDK Android SDK | Android Developers (you only really need the fastboot executable file for your host OS)

2.5) - I will soon put together a windows pack for usb drivers & fastboot so you don't have to download all this stuff just to do one task.

3) Power off your Xoom

4) Press and hold the volume down button while pressing the power button

Even after the Xoom turns back on keep it pressed down and you'll see some starting fastboot protocol text on the top left of the screen.

5) Open a command window in your sdk\tools folder (not platform tools and depending on when you get the SDK you may need to copy over some DLL files)

6) type:

fastboot oem unlock

7) read the warning on your Xoom's screen, hit volume up if you wish.

You're now free to put whatever data you want on your tablet. Cheers.

If you would like to re-lock your tablet:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-xoom/63683-guide-un-root-re-lock-xoom-3-05-2011-a.html

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh Cool, Thanks thefredelement for explaining.

One more question, This also means it will be possible to flash custom ROMs, I am right ?

Sure, once they're made that is :).

It doesn't matter if it's just one file to go on to your current Xoom's software or an image for a whole partition for the Xoom, unlocking this makes all that possible.

lorne.liechty

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The notice on the Xoom screen during this process says, "Any data you have previously saved on this device will be erased by pressing the 'VOL UP' key".

Does that mean that the data partition will be erased (assuming here that there is a "data" partition equivalent to a phone's SDCard) or does this mean that all partitions, including the rootfs (android FS) will be erased?

Thanks.

Reactions: nfcdottie#AC

mrksbrd

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Once this is done will setcpu work for raising the minimum speed, or will the program not work at all due to Xoom being a dual core processor?

HAZMAT780

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Help please.... I keep getting an error somewhere along the liens of Adbwinapi.dll failed because it is not installed. I installed the whole SDK, and tried several times to run command promt, and then I opened command prompt directly from the file, and that did not work either. Any help would be appreciated!

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Help please.... I keep getting an error somewhere along the liens of Adbwinapi.dll failed because it is not installed. I installed the whole SDK, and tried several times to run command promt, and then I opened command prompt directly from the file, and that did not work either. Any help would be appreciated!

Is your command prompt in the tools directory of the sdk?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com

look for the file in platform-tools then drag and drop into the tools folder. Thats what I did.

bigdje

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I get to the last step press the up vol button on my xoom.

It says Device Unlock operation aborted on the xoom.

Is that correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy