Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Default [GUIDE] Unlocking (& re-locking) the Motorola Xoom

The following will VOID your warranty but will easily unlock the Xoom for fast software flashes using a custom recovery and will allow flashing root files or manipulated system files on to your current software installation.

This will ERASE your Xoom.

1) Get the Motorola USB drivers (you need to sign up on their but maybe you can google this and find it as well)

2) Get the Android SDK (you only really need the fastboot executable file for your host OS)

2.5) - I will soon put together a windows pack for usb drivers & fastboot so you don't have to download all this stuff just to do one task.

3) Power off your Xoom

4) Press and hold the volume down button while pressing the power button

Even after the Xoom turns back on keep it pressed down and you'll see some starting fastboot protocol text on the top left of the screen.

5) Open a command window in your sdk\tools folder (not platform tools and depending on when you get the SDK you may need to copy over some DLL files)

6) type:

fastboot oem unlock
    7) read the warning on your Xoom's screen, hit volume up if you wish.

You're now free to put whatever data you want on your tablet. Cheers.

If you would like to re-lock your tablet:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...05-2011-a.html
    Last edited by thefredelement; 03-05-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Awesome! Stickied.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Is this rooting ??
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandipndedhhia View Post
    Is this rooting ??
    This is not rooting, this will let you install a rooted version of the Xoom's software or flash rooted files to the pre-installed Xoom software.

It pretty much unlocks the Xoom's memory so you can push whatever you want to any partition you want.

Oh Cool, Thanks thefredelement for explaining.

One more question, This also means it will be possible to flash custom ROMs, I am right ?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sandipndedhhia View Post
    Oh Cool, Thanks thefredelement for explaining.

One more question, This also means it will be possible to flash custom ROMs, I am right ?
    Sure, once they're made that is .

It doesn't matter if it's just one file to go on to your current Xoom's software or an image for a whole partition for the Xoom, unlocking this makes all that possible.

does anyone know if we do this will motorola still upgrade it to 4g lte for free?

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock w/root

does this unlock the stupid SD card as well???
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    does this unlock the stupid SD card as well???
    No, this just makes it so you can flash files/images to the Xoom's partitions.

The notice on the Xoom screen during this process says, "Any data you have previously saved on this device will be erased by pressing the 'VOL UP' key".

Does that mean that the data partition will be erased (assuming here that there is a "data" partition equivalent to a phone's SDCard) or does this mean that all partitions, including the rootfs (android FS) will be erased?

Thanks.
    Thanked by:

Is there a way to get back to factory default? If hypothetically one were planning on returning it.

Once this is done will setcpu work for raising the minimum speed, or will the program not work at all due to Xoom being a dual core processor?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by epik151 View Post
    Is there a way to get back to factory default? If hypothetically one were planning on returning it.
    You can re lock the boot loader but I'm not sure if something is changed on the Xoom that will let Moto/VZW know it was unsecured at one point.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrksbrd View Post
    Once this is done will setcpu work for raising the minimum speed, or will the program not work at all due to Xoom being a dual core processor?
    No, this is not root, to root your Xoom follow this: http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...24-2011-a.html

At what point do I connect the XOOM to my PC via USB?
    Droid MAXX Rooted on 4.4

ROM
    Apex 1.4

Help please.... I keep getting an error somewhere along the liens of Adbwinapi.dll failed because it is not installed. I installed the whole SDK, and tried several times to run command promt, and then I opened command prompt directly from the file, and that did not work either. Any help would be appreciated!
    Ruling all machines... Completely [R3]BLURR3D, With Root access... An extended battery... NO Bloat... and NO Throttling!
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HAZMAT780 View Post
    Help please.... I keep getting an error somewhere along the liens of Adbwinapi.dll failed because it is not installed. I installed the whole SDK, and tried several times to run command promt, and then I opened command prompt directly from the file, and that did not work either. Any help would be appreciated!
    Is your command prompt in the tools directory of the sdk?
    Droiderator

ROM
    Bugless Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by HAZMAT780 View Post
    look for the file in platform-tools then drag and drop into the tools folder. Thats what I did.

I get to the last step press the up vol button on my xoom.

It says Device Unlock operation aborted on the xoom.

Is that correct?
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigdje View Post
    I get to the last step press the up vol button on my xoom.

It says Device Unlock operation aborted on the xoom.

Is that correct?
    Nope, I forget what it is, volume down to change the choice to I accept, then hit volume up.

hello everyone!

first time android user here. i am interested in doing this (unlocking) but i have some quick questions.

after unlocking the xoom, does the home screen and icons remain the same as stock or will it be replaced by something else?

as this is my very first android device, i am a bit apprehensive as i might (most probably will!) screw it up somehow.

thanks to everyone for their patience and answers.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bum99my View Post
    hello everyone!

first time android user here. i am interested in doing this (unlocking) but i have some quick questions.

after unlocking the xoom, does the home screen and icons remain the same as stock or will it be replaced by something else?

as this is my very first android device, i am a bit apprehensive as i might (most probably will!) screw it up somehow.

thanks to everyone for their patience and answers.
    Rooting the Xoom resets it back to factory but with super user access. Nothing on the interface changes unless you change it after you root.

Check out the sticky guide with screen shots, its not that crazy of a process. If you run in to a problem just post it and ill help you out.

Welcome to android and android central!

thefredelement,

thank you for your reply. i managed to do the unlocking as instructed. i then tried to the rooting as per section 3 in

http://forum.androidcentral.com/xoom...tml#post716856

however, i encountered the following problems

1) my xoom now is stuck in the motorola logo.
    2) my computer does not recognose the device anymore
    3) no response on the hard reset.
    4) it will not switch off if i press the power button.

btw, mine is the wifi only model

any help is very much appreciated
    Last edited by bum99my; 05-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bum99my View Post
    thefredelement,

thank you for your reply. i managed to do the unlocking as instructed. i then tried to the rooting as per section 3 in

http://forum.androidcentral.com/xoom...tml#post716856

however, i encountered the following problems

1) my xoom now is stuck in the motorola logo.
    2) my computer does not recognose the device anymore
    3) no response on the hard reset.
    4) it will not switch off if i press the power button.

btw, mine is the wifi only model

any help is very much appreciated
    You're not the first one to do this, you just have to restore your wifi only software and use the wifi root method.

To get back to the bootloader press volume up and power until the xoom resets. Then at the red m logo press volume down and the xoom will toggle through a few selections on the upper left, when it says fastboot hit volume up to enter and then follow the directions on that page.

@thefredelement,

managed to get it up and running to stock and unlocked it again.....phew! two days with this thing and i thought i gone and killed it!!

thanks thefredelement for the help and instructions. you really really made my day.

thanks again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast