Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LMO View Post
    Fred, this does not work with the new 3.1 update does it??
    Nope

I am just tryong to view the attachements and have to post to see them

1. Download the source Motorola files here: http://developer.motorola.com/produc...rm=unlockboard (a free membership may be required)

2. Extract the zip file so you have: boot.img, system.img, recovery.img, userdata.img and place these files in to the same folder as fastboot (either in the SDK or from the zip attached to the first post).

3. Reboot your Xoom in to the bootloader.

Power off your Xoom, once it's off, power it on by simultaneously pressing the volume down and power button, keep your fingers pressed until the Xoom says it's starting fastboot protocol support.

4. Open a command prompt in the folder with fastboot and the Motorola image files.

5. Enter these commands

Quote:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem lock
    Your Xoom has now been restored to factory software and the bootloader has been locked.

Ouch! After following each step I'm stuck with "failed to boot LNX 0X0004" in red with "starting fastboot protocol support" below it.

After updating Moto tools on both laptop and PC, neither of them recognize the Xoom Wifi and command prompt message "waiting for device".

Do I need to start a Motorola repair ticket?

Chris
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swspirit View Post
    1. Download the source Motorola files here: MOTODEV > Log In (a free membership may be required)

2. Extract the zip file so you have: boot.img, system.img, recovery.img, userdata.img and place these files in to the same folder as fastboot (either in the SDK or from the zip attached to the first post).

3. Reboot your Xoom in to the bootloader.

Power off your Xoom, once it's off, power it on by simultaneously pressing the volume down and power button, keep your fingers pressed until the Xoom says it's starting fastboot protocol support.

4. Open a command prompt in the folder with fastboot and the Motorola image files.

5. Enter these commands

Quote:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem lock
    Your Xoom has now been restored to factory software and the bootloader has been locked.

Ouch! After following each step I'm stuck with "failed to boot LNX 0X0004" in red with "starting fastboot protocol support" below it.

After updating Moto tools on both laptop and PC, neither of them recognize the Xoom Wifi and command prompt message "waiting for device".

Do I need to start a Motorola repair ticket?

Chris
    Did you previously upgrade to 3.1?

Thanks for the info.

Nice... I wish i had seen this yesterday... my xoom is stuck on the Moto Logo screen

Default Thank you.

Crap, I think my xoom is bricked, I didnt realize the rooting process wouldnt work for 3.1 Is there anything I can do to fix this? Its stuck at the Boot screen that says Dual Core Technology with a red Motorola sign. I would greatly appreciate any help.

You shoudl still be able to use fastboot or adb to reboot back into fastboot to fix your mistakes (aka reflash to stock)

This DOES work, I did it last night after making the same mistake and thought that I bricked my Xoom. You might need to enter in the command more than once, first try always gave me a device not found type error and they trying it again 1-2 more times always seemed to kick it back to fastboot and I reflashed everything to stock

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

My screen is stuck on the Dual Core Technology screen as well and everytime I reboot using the volume up / power key it goes to "Starting fastboot protocol support"

I have also used the volume up/power key to reboot and pressed the volume down key when rebooting to go into the Android recovery to reset to factory settings.

It goes throught he factory reset but when it reboots it freezes in the Dual Core Technology screen.

Please help me!!!!!

Thankth

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    Drivers & SDK
    -------------

Drivers:

If your'e on a Windows PC, you're going to need some USB drivers so your computer can talk to the Xoom in it's different operating modes (fastboot, rsd, and USB debugging).

You can get these drivers here:

For 32bit versions of Windows: MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers > Handset USB Driver for Windows (32-bit)

For 64bit versions of Windows: MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers > Handset USB Driver for Windows (64-bit)

*Note: Mac OS X & Linux don't require USB drivers.

SDK:

(If you already have the Android SDK installed with tools & platform tools you can skip this next section)

If you want to download the Android SDK, you can do so here: Android SDK | Android Developers

If you don't plan on developing software and just want the few files needed for unlocking and rooting I have attached them to this post as sdktools.zip. Just download this and unzip it. You will have an sdktools folder that contains just fastboot, adb and AdbWinApi.dll.
    thanks

i didn't read that this wouldn't work on 3.1 and went ahead and did it .. i got past the first step but then couldn't find the files to root my xoom but my xoom is working

Carrier
    CM10

Thanks for this. I hunted on the Moto site for ages before I gave up!
    Also helped having the zip you provide, ad the jdk I downloaded didn't include the fastboot.exe.

Does this work with 3.1 or not? If not, are there newer instructions?

3G with 3.1
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  
    passionately curious

Global Posts
    2,825 Global Posts

This can work with 3.1 however I wouldn't do it, I'll come up with a new guide and some new files for everyone. I've just been so busy at work and dealing with Motorola that I want to scream.

I don't want to let you guys down though So I'll stop slacking and get on it!

roooottuinggg ?

In preparation, I'm trying to load the SDK, but am stuck in a loop saying I don't have JDK. I've installed it again and again. I've rebooted. I've tried everything I can think of. I've gone into Control panel - System - Advanced - Environment variables and changed the user path to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_26\bin in an attempt to force it.

...nothing.

Is just having the files from the .zip file provided going to be enough? I can live with that, although I'd be a bit disappointed because I was thinking about playing. I'm a microcontroller guy. I'm a fantastic assy guy, really good at C and "eh" at C++. Android is out of my box, but learning new stuff keeps the brain young.

Carrier

Question So I didnt read the comments and now I'm stuck on the Dual Core Tech Screen

Trying to revert back to original until we get the 3.1 fix, any idea how to root 3.1 3G???

Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by afolgueira View Post
    Trying to revert back to original until we get the 3.1 fix, any idea how to root 3.1 3G???
    So I was able to take it back to normal using the unroot method explained at the begining. So tomorrow I'll keep trying to root my xoom 3g 3.1

Default Re: [GUIDE][VZW Version] Drivers, SDK, Unlocking, Rooting & Retur

Quote Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post
    First, This thread wouldn't be possible without @Koush | My Brain Hurts - Koush develops such great things like, ClockworkMod recovery and Rom Manager, if you want to support him, buy his apps!

This thread & posts are for the Verizon branded Motorola Xoom and points to software images for that model! -- (Hint: WIFI only users - LOOK AWAY!)

This guide will help you: install the Motorola Xoom USB drivers, install fastboot & adb from the Android 3.0 SDK, Unlock your Motorola Xoom for flashing and finally root your Motorola Xoom. There's also a "back to stock" mini-guide.

It's a lot less complicated than it sounds and the entire process should take around 15 - 30 minutes (not counting downloading files).

WARNING: THIS PROCESS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY, THIS WILL ALSO ERASE ALL OF THE DATA ON YOUR XOOM

If you're not quite sure what the process involves you should thoroughly read over each section, as well check out the FAQ, also - it's cool to ask questions.

Section 1: Motorola USB Drivers & Android SDK Files (this will setup your computer to talk to your Xoom)

Section 2: Unlocking the Motorola Xoom (screen shots included)

Section 3: Rooting the Motorola Xoom & Installing BusyBox (screen shots included)

Section 4: Returning your Xoom to stock software status with the latest OTA update

Section 5: FAQs
    Great work!

Great this seems to be working

This is awesome stuff, I'm gonna try this as soon as I get to work.

Global Posts
    1,284 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock/ 4.1.1 (both)

Since it doesn't seem to be getting much of a response.

I Just gave up on rooting my Xoom, went back to 3.0.1 and went to update from there.

Can't do anything, though, on account of there being an inability to connect to WiFi. It says... error, right under Wi-Fi. And, considering this is a WiFi Xoom, it's fairly important.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast