Need the update - NOW?!?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Follow these directions: xda-developers - View Single Post - Android 3.1.zip (For 3G Users ONLY!!) - Props to Koush (for the original method) / jeffreycentex (for the reminder)

Your mileage may vary and this is done at your own risk, so be forewarned...
(and it was done with a 3G XOOM only)

YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!!! IF ANY COMMAND SEEMS STRANGE/UNFAMILIAR, YOU SHOULD NOT USE THIS METHOD!!!!

I upgraded mine manually without the USB cable or getting pushed the OTA as follows (note that his will hard reset your box):

Requirements:
a) You must have ADB installed.
b) You must have fastboot installed.
c) You must have the Motorola drivers.

1. Download the stock firmware for your Xoom from Motorola:
MOTODEV > Products > Device Software
2. Download the 3.1 update from this forum from the Google Site.
3. Download the Xoom Rooting ZIP. (http://mirror1.kanged.net/motorola/s...y/xoomroot.zip)

Stage 1: Restoring to Stock.
Run the following commands:

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot

(Note that you DO NOT need to relock the firmware).

Stage 2: Rooting the stock...
Go through the setup wizard and enable USB Debugging.

Run the following commands (from the Rooting thread - [GUIDE] How to Root the Motorola Xoom - xda-developers)

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
fastboot reboot (wait for reboot)
adb remount
adb push su /system/bin
adb shell
ln –s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
exit
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app

I would then recommend that you run "adb shell" and start "su" and go to the screen of the Xoom and allow it.

Stage 3: Reinstall original boot.img
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot

(I don't know if this step is necessary, but I wanted to have as much stock before I ran the update)

Stage 3: Install the new update
Use the instructions from Koush's website, substituting the 3.1 update for the 3.0.1 update.
adb push <zip name> /sdcard/update.zip
adb shell
su
cd /cache
mkdir recovery #it may already exist
cd recovery
echo '--update_package=CACHE:/recovery/update.zip' > command
cat /sdcard/update.zip > update.zip
reboot recovery

If you are unable to write to the /cache directory, you can run the following command to enable rw access to it after being su:

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/cache /cache

After doing these steps, it will reboot a few times, then you will be left with a stock 3.1 without root.

If you want to re-root, flash clockworkmod recovery and push over su/superuser from the original root thread or install Bigrushdog's 3.1 rooted rom from here: #Xoom presets 3.1 Flashable - xda-developers (scroll down a few posts to find the download link) - you can't just flash this directly, the Xoom needs to have it's boot loader updated to work with the 3.1 boot.

(I'll try to clean this up later).

Last edited:
Reactions: NewAge

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying to do this all morning and have gone backwards!

These instructions look better than the mess of windows I was looking at.

Question. Can you explain this a bit?

" I would then recommend that you run "adb shell" and start "su" and go to the screen of the Xoom and allow it."

Thanks.

Is he saying to just run superuser and give it root permission?

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying to do this all morning and have gone backwards!

These instructions look better than the mess of windows I was looking at.

Question. Can you explain this a bit?

" I would then recommend that you run "adb shell" and start "su" and go to the screen of the Xoom and allow it."

Thanks.

Is he saying to just run superuser and give it root permission?

Yeah, when you run su for the first time from the shell the Xoom's screen will have the superuser app prompt to allow or deny it so if you're just focused on the screen on your PC you might miss it.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I am right at the step now, but how do I run the shell? This obviously a command I run from adb. But what exactly do I type?

From the shell there is no run command. If I type su it doesn't seem to do anything.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I am right at the step now, but how do I run the shell? This obviously a command I run from adb. But what exactly do I type?

From the shell there is no run command. If I type su it doesn't seem to do anything.

from your sdk folder:

adb shell
su

At that point the Xoom will have the superuser app kick in and you'll have to press "allow", then you should get a # prompt.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I did that and didn't get a an "allow" screen. I do have the superuser app in app drawer so I am guessing I am good to go. I am going to move on and see how she goes.

Thanks Fred

Edit: When I boot into recovery I get an error that says "failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)". Koush's instructions have me a bit messed up.

Download the update.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?hxmkxdafhkahi41
adb shell
su
cd /cache
cd recovery
reboot recovery

I am messing up somewhere here. Is everything typed here? Or is there a step missing? I type reboot recovery from the > prompt and get nothing.

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I did that and didn't get a an "allow" screen. I do have the superuser app in app drawer so I am guessing I am good to go. I am going to move on and see how she goes.

Thanks Fred

Edit: When I boot into recovery I get an error that says "failed to mount /sdcard (No such file or directory)". Koush's instructions have me a bit messed up.

Download the update.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?hxmkxdafhkahi41
adb shell
su
cd /cache
cd recovery
reboot recovery

I am messing up somewhere here. Is everything typed here? Or is there a step missing? I type reboot recovery from the > prompt and get nothing.

Alright, first thing is that make sure you're not using the file he linked to but the "update.zip" should be the file from Google for your Xoom.

is this line:

giving you any errors?

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Got it! I ended up hooking up my OTG cable and went to stock recovery and installed update.zip.

And to answer your question I got no errors when doing his instuctions. I just couldn't reboot recovery from the > prompt and I couldn't figure out how to get back to command prompt.

I am going to check a few other things, primarily get CWM back on.

Thanks again Fred. I got my BT mouse working and its better than I could have imagined. Very nice. It doesn't look like I can read my sdcard thought, through USB OTG.

Edit: And I did download the NEW update and renamed it to update.zip. I didn't download the link he posted.

Looks like I lost ROOT. Crap. I am done screwing with it. I am going to enjoy it a bit and come back to it.

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Got it! I ended up hooking up my OTG cable and went to stock recovery and installed update.zip.

And to answer your question I got no errors when doing his instuctions. I just couldn't reboot recovery from the > prompt and I couldn't figure out how to get back to command prompt.

I am going to check a few other things, primarily get CWM back on.

Thanks again Fred. I got my BT mouse working and its better than I could have imagined. Very nice. It doesn't look like I can read my sdcard thought, through USB OTG.

Edit: And I did download the NEW update and renamed it to update.zip. I didn't download the link he had.

Ah, the "easy" way! I was wishing I would of bought an OTG adapter.

I can't remember if I just backed out of the > prompt with a cltrl+c or I went back to #, did this around 3AM last night and am a little shot right now :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy