Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    TDR
    TDR is offline
    TDR's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default [KERNEL] OC kernel for Xoom Honeycomb 3.1

    This kernel is now known as Launchpad - .You should also check out bigrushdog's .

    Since bigrushdog et al haven't yet posted updated kernels for Honeycomb 3.1 and my overclocking itch needed scratching, I thought I'd share my kernel for Xooms running 3.1 for any other impatient souls. This is forked from AOSP, but with some features like micro SD support borrowed from Tiamat The kernel is configured differently, but everything you'd expect from Tiamat should be present (well, except for all those new modules) including the 1.504GHz clock speed.

    To install, place the appropriate zip file on your micro SD card and use ClockworkMod Recovery's install zip from sdcard option. You can also extract boot.img from the zip file and flash using fastboot from your PC.

    For future reference: exercise caution when adjusting the kernel HZ. It can cause lockups, maybe from a timing loop being thrown off.

    I don't use github at present (will do soon), so the source code lives on my PC. If you want it for any reason, just let me know. Many kudos to bigrushdog, coolbho3000, kcrudup, cybertronic and Koush.
    Last edited by TDR; 05-22-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    Thanked by 7:
  2. #2  
    LMO
    LMO is offline
    LMO's Avatar

    Posts
    384 Posts
    ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

    Default

    This may sound like a strange question (lol) but does this keep the LED charging light lit? I know with the old version of Tiamat it gave us the lit LED... and now after switching back to stock 3.0, updating to 3.1, and rooting/Clockwork, etc., I no longer have the charging LED lit. (I am assuming it was something in Tiamat that did this? But I loved that feature!!)

    BTW, that is an AMAZING Quadrant score!!!!!!

    ~ Droid RAZR MAXX, Stock rooted ICS
    ~ Xoom Wi-fi: Stock rooted JB
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    TDR
    TDR is offline
    TDR's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default

    Yep, there's a specific line of code that disables the charging LED in the stock kernel (no idea why, maybe it annoyed a Google engineer?) I like seeing that it's charging, so I enabled it too.
  4. #4  
    ClydeB1's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    ROM
    Tiamat 1.4.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LMO View Post
    This may sound like a strange question (lol) but does this keep the LED charging light lit? I know with the old version of Tiamat it gave us the lit LED... and now after switching back to stock 3.0, updating to 3.1, and rooting/Clockwork, etc., I no longer have the charging LED lit. (I am assuming it was something in Tiamat that did this? But I loved that feature!!)

    BTW, that is an AMAZING Quadrant score!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TDR View Post
    Yep, there's a specific line of code that disables the charging LED in the stock kernel (no idea why, maybe it annoyed a Google engineer?) I like seeing that it's charging, so I enabled it too.
    Yes, I too have lost the led lighting up when charging. BRD will give the option to enable this function in the new kernel he is working on.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    TDR
    TDR is offline
    TDR's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeB1 View Post
    Yes, I too have lost the led lighting up when charging. BRD will give the option to enable this function in the new kernel he is working on.
    You could try this kernel in the mean time. Just sayin'
  6. #6  
    LMO
    LMO is offline
    LMO's Avatar

    Posts
    384 Posts
    ROM
    ICS | Jellybean

    Default

    Hey just thought of something... if I flash this kernel will anything be messed up if I decide to try the BRD kernel afterwards? I would not have to go back to stock or anything in order to flash the BRD kernel after this one would I?

    ~ Droid RAZR MAXX, Stock rooted ICS
    ~ Xoom Wi-fi: Stock rooted JB
  7. #7  
    NewAge's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

    Default

    Awesome! Works like a champ. I have it @1400 and solid so far. I had a reboot @1504 but I did with Tiamat also.

    Thanks for this. I posted this at Xoom forums. Hope you don't mind. I just linked this thread.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    TDR
    TDR is offline
    TDR's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default

    Great to hear it's working (more or less) I think that's the first time I've heard a Xoom not taking the 1.5GHz overclock. Maybe user adjustable voltage is in order.

    Quote Originally Posted by LMO View Post
    Hey just thought of something... if I flash this kernel will anything be messed up if I decide to try the BRD kernel afterwards? I would not have to go back to stock or anything in order to flash the BRD kernel after this one would I?
    There shouldn't be any problems, everything should be overwritten when you flash a new kernel using CWR. I should point out though this kernel mounts USB storage (via USB OTG) to /mnt/usbdisk while recent Tiamat kernels mount to /mnt/usbOTG. I don't have a USB OTG cable, so I can't test if this causes any issues.

    Also importantly, built-in storage is mounted following supercurio's work on , which AFAIK is still perfectly safe on the Xoom. This also increases Quadrant scores, but unlike the tmpfs cheat it actually improves I/O performance generally.
    Last edited by TDR; 05-15-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Typo
  9. #9  

    Default

    Awesome kernel. Any chance you could do a version based on tiamat 1.4. I.e. a version with usb mass storage still enabled? :-)
  10. #10  
    NewAge's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

    Default

    Thanks for the info and this Kernel, it smokes!
    Thanked by 2:
  11. #11  

    Default

    Thanks for posting this kernel. As others have said, it is VERY fast, and my SD card is back, baby!
  12. #12  

    Default

    Just installed works perfectly! SOOOO glad to see my mflops back up to 63 or higher, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. #13  

    Default

    Extremely fast, however flashing it caused my wifi to break, its just saying "error" . Anyway around that?

    edit: nvm, I didn't have an SD card on me so I just flashed the boot.img, forgot to push bcm4329.ko, wifi is back now
    Last edited by p2flol; 05-15-2011 at 03:00 AM.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Just noticed that my 3g service is gone? I downloaded the correct kernel?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    TDR
    TDR is offline
    TDR's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default

    Oops, I fail for putting out something without the means to test it. It looks like I missed out some components for the 3G radio. Could you please try this one? I was going to reply on xoomforums but I'd appreciate it if someone with a VZW Xoom could give it a spin to see if it works properly.

    Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by TDR; 05-15-2011 at 05:32 AM.
  16. #16  

    Default

    I will give it a shot for you doing it now

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR View Post
    Oops, I fail for putting out something without the means to test it. It looks like I missed out some components for the 3G radio. Could you please try ? I was going to reply on xoomforums but I'd appreciate it if someone with a VZW Xoom could give it a spin to see if it works properly.

    Sorry for the inconvenience.
  17. #17  

    Default

    thats a negative sorry 3g service still broken even rebooted just to make sure, let me know if you want me to try again. I dont know if it helps but the baseband version says unknown under about tablet?
  18. #18  
    ClydeB1's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    ROM
    Tiamat 1.4.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR View Post
    You could try this kernel in the mean time. Just sayin'
    I must have been half asleep when I replied yesterday and thought I was in the BRD kernel thread LOL. Certainly the more options there are the merrier and didn't even see it was another kernel. Sorry mate
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    TDR
    TDR is offline
    TDR's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ClydeB1 View Post
    I must have been half asleep when I replied yesterday and thought I was in the BRD kernel thread LOL. Certainly the more options there are the merrier and didn't even see it was another kernel. Sorry mate
    No probs

    Quote Originally Posted by camblue View Post
    thats a negative sorry 3g service still broken even rebooted just to make sure, let me know if you want me to try again. I dont know if it helps but the baseband version says unknown under about tablet?
    Hmm thanks for trying it out. Looking into it now, I probably messed up.

    Just wondering, did you flash BRD's HC3.1 zip before this?
  20. #20  

    Default

    yes i have BRD's 3.2 update and then I flashed yours

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR View Post
    No probs


    Hmm thanks for trying it out. Looking into it now, I probably messed up.

    Just wondering, did you flash BRD's HC3.1 zip before this?
  21. #21  

    Default

    Wifi version so far so good, no reboots on 1.5 ghz. Have you noticed any problems on your wifi xoom since building this kernel?

    65.291 linpack
    4142 quad

    Thanks~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [KERNEL] OC kernel for Xoom Honeycomb 3.1-quadxoom.jpg   [KERNEL] OC kernel for Xoom Honeycomb 3.1-lpxoom.jpg  
    Last edited by p2flol; 05-15-2011 at 04:09 AM.
  22. #22  

    Default

    Just so there are no problems I posted a separate link over at XDA so this kernel did not get confused with BRD's
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    TDR
    TDR is offline
    TDR's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default

    Thanks camblue.

    Strange, the kernel and ramdisk should be identical between 3G and WiFi only models, with only the command line being different. I've uploaded , if you're feeling brave please try it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by p2flol View Post
    Wifi version so far so good, no reboots on 1.5 ghz. Have you noticed any problems on your wifi xoom since building this kernel?
    No major problems thus far, had a browser crash when I tried to see how fast I could scroll down a long page.
  24. #24  
    NewAge's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    Global Posts
    991 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

    Default

    I didn't even check last night but I lost 3g too. I think I can go without it for a bit though.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    TDR
    TDR is offline
    TDR's Avatar

    Posts
    79 Posts

    Default

    So no joy with the latest version (previous post) too? Ah well, I guess this is why I don't release my kernels into the wild, when I struggle to get mostly stock code properly working

    I'm sure BRD and his legion of testers should have something out very shortly. Tiamat already has quite a few changes from AOSP, so it should be interesting to see what comes next. Nothing but respect for him and his work of course
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B