Rooting 3.1

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok; I have 3.1 installed via the push from Google/Moto (yes, i made the mistake of returning my Xoom to stock).

I have tried two different methods of rooting and as of yet have not had success. I was able to unlock and install CWM but was unable to get it to read my SD Card. By doing the Erase Data/Factory Reset, I was able to get CWM to see my USB Thumb Drive as a source for install; however every time I try to install a package I get an error message:

E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I tried re-downloading the packages and even tried a different USB drive, but I still get the same results.

anyone have a suggestion?

P.S. i am trying to load "bootloader_patch_3.1.zip" and "HMJ37_root_sdcard_3G.zip". I also tried "3G_RootTool_3.1.zip".

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm no familiar with any of those zips, there's a simpler way to root though:

Get this file: http://mirror1.kanged.net/motorola/stingray/xoomroot.zip (provided by Koush)

unzip it and get "su" & "Superuser.apk" - put them in your adb tools folder.

Boot the Xoom in to recovery, go to mounts, and mount System, give it a few seconds and ADB will kick in, you can test by typing "adb devices" and when your Xoom is listed you're good to go.

Then just:
adb remount
adb push su /system/bin/
adb shell
ln –s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
exit
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/

Then reboot and install BusyBox from the market. https://market.android.com/details?id=stericson.busybox&feature=search_result

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok; I have 3.1 installed via the push from Google/Moto (yes, i made the mistake of returning my Xoom to stock).

I have tried two different methods of rooting and as of yet have not had success. I was able to unlock and install CWM but was unable to get it to read my SD Card. By doing the Erase Data/Factory Reset, I was able to get CWM to see my USB Thumb Drive as a source for install; however every time I try to install a package I get an error message:

E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I tried re-downloading the packages and even tried a different USB drive, but I still get the same results.

anyone have a suggestion?

P.S. i am trying to load "bootloader_patch_3.1.zip" and "HMJ37_root_sdcard_3G.zip". I also tried "3G_RootTool_3.1.zip".

I returned to stock 3.0 and received the Moto/Google OTA 3.1 (and was telling myself I made a mistake). I was getting worried that I could not root... til I saw this thread. Hope this helps. Some very useful info!!!
[GUIDE] How to Root the Xoom from Stock 3.1 (Both versions) - xda-developers

It went without a hitch, and works perfectly!

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Recovery does not have a "Mounts" option anymore. also, ADB remount does not work.

I'm no familiar with any of those zips, there's a simpler way to root though:

Get this file: http://mirror1.kanged.net/motorola/stingray/xoomroot.zip (provided by Koush)

unzip it and get "su" & "Superuser.apk" - put them in your adb tools folder.

Boot the Xoom in to recovery, go to mounts, and mount System, give it a few seconds and ADB will kick in, you can test by typing "adb devices" and when your Xoom is listed you're good to go.

Then just:

Then reboot and install BusyBox from the market. https://market.android.com/details?id=stericson.busybox&feature=search_result

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
OK; I started over and this time I get different "recovery" screen and gets hung in the boot animation. I tried several different approaches but no joy.

Last edited:

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Third try is the charm. I started over and reloaded everything and finally got it to work. All I need now is an overclock kernel and everything would be great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar