ZTE Valet: Can You Post the Pictures and Videos It Takes?

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I simply cannot afford the monthly contract fees associated with having an iPhone or first-rate Android phone. The ZTE Valet Android phone came out in the last month or two solely for Tracfone, a pay-as-you-go phone company. I am already a Tracfone customer and it sounds like the perfect upgrade for me.
I just want to know whether Social Media apps like GifBoom, Vine, Instagram, Foursquare, Twitter and Facebook will really, truly work on this phone and the 3G Verizon network that Tracfone uses. I understand that they may crash sometimes, may be a little slow and that I may be able to have only one app open at a time. I just want to know whether I will be able to post the pictures and videos I take with its camera.
Does anyone have any comments or advice for me?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app.

ZippyTheChicken

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the zte it is a nice phone
I am not quite out in the middle of nowhere but the carrier is Verizon and its a bit weak.

I'll give you a heads up...

Its full Android
There are no Tracfone Aps to add time or check your time or renew date so you have to do that by phone or on their website.. I expect they will make one soon since they do have such an app for the other company StraightTalk so probably in a few months.

It is slow but it could be my connectivity

You can not reverse tether as far as i have found to allow your phone to use your computer for internet over the USB Cable or over Bluetooth so i am buying a cheap refurbished wifi router to plug into my cable modem.

Gmail works fine over verizon..

I downloaded one app so far it was AVG Anti Virus .. i suggest you get that its free .. put it on first thing it will scan your email and web and even your textsmsgs can corrupt your phone so avg catches all that.. hopefully

You will need a video player if you download videos in MP4 .. there are free players

The camera works fine its HD and you can take a pic every 2 seconds or less

I am updating the memory card .. there are a few good deals on Amazon for 32gb micro sd but make sure it says Class 10 .. the phone comes with a 4gb class 4 card which is fine but you don't want to install a bunch of apps and then change out for a new one or you can have problems .. so if you are getting one get it early..

Setup ...
You get the phone
Call Tracfone and go through the automated setup.
The red card has your serial number and also you must call a special number.
Activation took about 3 hours at home

I have attempted to make a few videos but .. they are good quality I guess .. not like HD TV but they are fine.

All in all its a Great Deal

I got the ZTE .. it has the 3.2mb camera
There are Two other phones..
One is primarily distributed at Walmart Stores Cant remember the name but it starts witha H hawiai or something.
Very slightly better specs on some things..
but the ZTE has newer Android...

So in total ... its a great phone.

Use the WIFI Feature so you don't need to use your minutes..
You can even Wifi from many stores and make calls over GoogleTalk and there is a app for that on the phone

I got it... I like it.. its not a Samsung S4 .. but its a billion times better than any non android tracfone.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for all of the information. I really appreciate it. I can tell you that the apps will be stored on the phone's internal memory (4 GB ROM) and not on whatever memory card you put in. Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

mrscastleman

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I just bought the zte it is a nice phone
I am not quite out in the middle of nowhere but the carrier is Verizon and its a bit weak.

I'll give you a heads up...

Its full Android
There are no Tracfone Aps to add time or check your time or renew date so you have to do that by phone or on their website.. I expect they will make one soon since they do have such an app for the other company StraightTalk so probably in a few months.

It is slow but it could be my connectivity

You can not reverse tether as far as i have found to allow your phone to use your computer for internet over the USB Cable or over Bluetooth so i am buying a cheap refurbished wifi router to plug into my cable modem.

Gmail works fine over verizon..

I downloaded one app so far it was AVG Anti Virus .. i suggest you get that its free .. put it on first thing it will scan your email and web and even your textsmsgs can corrupt your phone so avg catches all that.. hopefully

You will need a video player if you download videos in MP4 .. there are free players

The camera works fine its HD and you can take a pic every 2 seconds or less

I am updating the memory card .. there are a few good deals on Amazon for 32gb micro sd but make sure it says Class 10 .. the phone comes with a 4gb class 4 card which is fine but you don't want to install a bunch of apps and then change out for a new one or you can have problems .. so if you are getting one get it early..

Setup ...
You get the phone
Call Tracfone and go through the automated setup.
The red card has your serial number and also you must call a special number.
Activation took about 3 hours at home

I have attempted to make a few videos but .. they are good quality I guess .. not like HD TV but they are fine.

All in all its a Great Deal

I got the ZTE .. it has the 3.2mb camera
There are Two other phones..
One is primarily distributed at Walmart Stores Cant remember the name but it starts witha H hawiai or something.
Very slightly better specs on some things..
but the ZTE has newer Android...

So in total ... its a great phone.

Use the WIFI Feature so you don't need to use your minutes..
You can even Wifi from many stores and make calls over GoogleTalk and there is a app for that on the phone

I got it... I like it.. its not a Samsung S4 .. but its a billion times better than any non android tracfone.

Can you upload to facebook

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Can you upload to facebook

I went ahead and bought the phone and it is GREAT! It does just about everything that my Nexus 7 Android Tablet does. Yes, it uploads to Facebook and to almost everywhere else. GifBoom, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Foursquare, My Tracks and MapMyWalk all work.

Of the apps I've tried, I have a problem with Vine and QR & Bar Code Scanner only. The Vine app does not yet support recording on the ZTE Valet. That is what a message says when I try to record. I haven't gotten a response from Vine, but I am presuming that that is temporary. The message does say "yet".

The QR & Bar Code app does not scan. I think that the problem is that the camera cannot focus on something that close. The image looks blurred to the eye. I've tried a second similar app and it doesn't scan either. If you read the reviews of these scanner apps, not everyone can get them all working on every device. I suppose it could be a matter of finding the right scanner app for the ZTE Valet, but I doubt it.

I recommend this phone.

Dick1030

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
There is an app to check your time or renew date. Go to Google Play and download and install "TracFone My Account" It will tell you your remaining balances for Minutes, Text & Data, as well as your service end date. It also has a widget that keeps a running balance on one of your spare screens.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
There is an app to check your time or renew date. Go to Google Play and download and install "TracFone My Account" It will tell you your remaining balances for Minutes, Text & Data, as well as your service end date. It also has a widget that keeps a running balance on one of your spare screens.

I got that app just now. Thanks for alerting us. I wish it didn't waste a text message to tell me, unless that's a free text. I haven't checked whether it is.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I used Google Voice and Talkatone to give my Nexus 7 Android Tablet a phone number with free text and phone service across the US and Canada. Does anyone know whether I can do that a second time to do the same for my ZTE Valet Android phone? Or would I have to give up service to my Tablet to get it on my phone? Thanks.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
ZTE VALET Does anyone know where to find cases for the ZTE Valet? Tracfone says they have no accessories for the ZTE.
DebraK,
I got my case from eBay because Amazon didn't have them at the time. However, you can get some from Amazon now. By the way, do you have the Vine app on your ZTE Valet? Does it support recording video yet?
Greg

DebraK

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Greg,
Thanks so much for the info!
No, I do not have the Vine app, so I have no idea whether or not it supports recording video yet. Sorry.
DebraK

DebraK

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Greg,
Is it true that apps on my ZTE will be stored on the internal memory and will NOT be stored on the 32G memory card that I want to purchase?
DebraK

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Greg,
Is it true that apps on my ZTE will be stored on the internal memory and will NOT be stored on the 32G memory card that I want to purchase?
DebraK

Yes, that is what I read in the tech specs, but more importantly, I asked them directly and they specifically said internal memory.

However, I'm not as concerned as I once was. It came with a million Google apps and indicated I had 1.7GB left. I've added 20 apps from Google Play myself to that "million" and still have 1.6GB left. Apps are not really that big. Twenty MB is a pretty big app.

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If the device can be rooted, you can use apps like Link2SD and FolderMount. The former creates scripts, fools the system and links apps to a second (required) primary partition on the sd card The latter moves data files to the first, Wndows accessible primary partition on the sd card.

BTW, I got the phone. After fooling with it a day or so on WiFi am pretty pleased with it, I activated it and am trying out the phone a bit. Made a test call today to my land line answering machine but don't like the sound quality of the message. I need to fool a bit with how I hold the phone and maybe the equalizer settings I did on Google Play Music. If things go OK, I will transfer my old TracFone # from my LG-290c, minutes (lots!) and days to the ZTE. Any hints on how to get the big minutes number converted to voice, text and data with each at the total of my current balance?

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
If the device can be rooted, you can use apps like Link2SD and FolderMount. The former creates scripts, fools the system and links apps to a second (required) primary partition on the sd card The latter moves data files to the first, Wndows accessible primary partition on the sd card.

BTW, I got the phone. After fooling with it a day or so on WiFi am pretty pleased with it, I activated it and am trying out the phone a bit. Made a test call today to my land line answering machine but don't like the sound quality of the message. I need to fool a bit with how I hold the phone and maybe the equalizer settings I did on Google Play Music. If things go OK, I will transfer my old TracFone # from my LG-290c, minutes (lots!) and days to the ZTE. Any hints on how to get the big minutes number converted to voice, text and data with each at the total of my current balance?

I'm afraid I'm not that much of a techie to deal with rooting the phone, etc. I also don't have any hints or special knowledge about converting your minutes to your advantage into the new 3 category system. However, I can tell you what happened when I transferred mine. As I remember, I had something like 720 minutes. After transfer, I had 200 units in each of the 3 categories: Minutes, Texts and MB of Data. Did I lose or gain anything? I don't know.

Joe Normal

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Any hints on how to get the big minutes number converted to voice, text and data with each at the total of my current balance?
Happened automatically for me: 820 mins transferred to 820 min; 820 mgs data, 820 texts. maybe get on the phone and have a CSR walk you thru the transtion...(?)
(I immediately turned off the data, and use wi-fi and phone minutes. I am saving data for emergencies.)

BTW, I am very satisfied with mine, the biggest issue with it is the small amount of RAM.

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good! When you say 'automatically', did you use the automated system from a land line or a computer? I tried to go via a CSR today and was routed to a 'hi level' support # with a PIN...was on the phone for almost 2 hours. They had system problems and still couldn't complete the transfer and all I wound up with was a case# re: their problems. I told them I definitely needed a working mobile by Wed (airport pickups) so I may wait unless it can be done without a CSR.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Happened automatically for me: 820 mins transferred to 820 min; 820 mgs data, 820 texts.

You did really well! Looks like I got robbed, or perhaps it has to do with your going from a standard minutes phone to a triple minutes for life phone. Anyway, congrats.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
When you say 'automatically', did you use the automated system from a land line or a computer? I tried to go via a CSR today and was routed to a 'hi level' support # with a PIN...was on the phone for almost 2 hours. They had system problems and still couldn't complete the transfer and all I wound up with was a case# re: their problems. I told them I definitely needed a working mobile by Wed (airport pickups) so I may wait unless it can be done without a CSR.

I used a computer and my number, days and minutes were transferred almost instantly. However, I might have lost minutes compared to the person who transferred 800+ minutes. I don't think I did though. I think my minutes were just divided equally because I went from one triple minutes for life phone to another triple minutes for life phone.

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Happened automatically for me: 820 mins transferred to 820 min; 820 mgs data, 820 texts. maybe get on the phone and have a CSR walk you thru the transtion...(?)
(I immediately turned off the data, and use wi-fi and phone minutes. I am saving data for emergencies.)

BTW, I am very satisfied with mine, the biggest issue with it is the small amount of RAM.

'Automatic' via phone, internet or customer service?
My unit turned out to be defective in the screen became inactive. TracFone will replace it after I return it to them at their cost. Kmart wouldn't take it back since I bought it at another store out of state.
Not sure how my 'running' days can be recovered during this period as I activated it with a PIN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith