Please recommend a USB OTG adapter for Android devices and FiiO Q1 DAC

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a FiiO Q1 DAC that I would like to use with Nexus devices. Review here on XDA.

I've already researched on several audio sites and found out that the HibyMusic app is what I need and have that app.

All I need now is a USB OTG adapter that works with Nexi. Does anyone use a DAC with their Nexus device? If so, which one(s) work properly? I want to purchase a USB OTG adapter, but I want to ensure that it is Nexus-compatible.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Laura, all an OTG cable does is short 2 pins on the phone, so any cheap OTG cable should work. I don't have a DAC, but both my cheap (99 cent) and expensive (about $8) OTG cables turn my phone into a USB host (even to the point of working with a no-name wireless mouse receiver).

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Laura, all an OTG cable does is short 2 pins on the phone, so any cheap OTG cable should work. I don't have a DAC, but both my cheap (99 cent) and expensive (about $8) OTG cables turn my phone into a USB host (even to the point of working with a no-name wireless mouse receiver).
Thanks Rukbat! :)

I ordered this one, which will be arriving on Wednesday.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I am very interested in your setup! I just got a Nexus 6P and looking to do virtually the same thing. Looking at a different DAC, but I want to use the USB output to the DAC, then use a good headphone amp to power my headphones. I'll probably hook it up to my laptop sometimes, but I would much prefer to use my Nexus.

What kind of music files are you using? Or at least where do you get a majority of your music? I'd like to find a good place to download music directly to the phone (pay or otherwise) for the times when I don't have a higher quality source available.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I am very interested in your setup! I just got a Nexus 6P and looking to do virtually the same thing. Looking at a different DAC, but I want to use the USB output to the DAC, then use a good headphone amp to power my headphones. I'll probably hook it up to my laptop sometimes, but I would much prefer to use my Nexus.

What kind of music files are you using? Or at least where do you get a majority of your music? I'd like to find a good place to download music directly to the phone (pay or otherwise) for the times when I don't have a higher quality source available.
Most of my music is ripped from CDs. I use Exact Audio Copy for Windows and rip the songs in FLAC format. Then I transfer the files to my Android device.

I'll report tomorrow or Thursday how the USB OTG adapter works with the DAC.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, please do! I'm hoping do the same thing once I get my new DAC, so hopefully it'll all work out. Makes sense to rip everything. However, I have downloaded a few things from hdtracks.com, they sound incepredible!

Tab S2 LTE

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, please do! I'm hoping do the same thing once I get my new DAC, so hopefully it'll all work out. Makes sense to rip everything. However, I have downloaded a few things from hdtracks.com, they sound incepredible!

Tab S2 LTE
Success with Nexus 7 2013 and FiiO Q1 using USB OTG adapter and HibyMusic!

I'll try it on a Moto device later this week.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Tab S2 LTE

I have also used hdtracks.com. My preferred format is FLAC.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Success with Nexus 7 2013 and FiiO Q1 using USB OTG adapter and HibyMusic!

I'll try it on a Moto device later this week.

Update: I didn't get to try a Moto device until today. My MXPE died on April 15. Moto sent me a brick on April 29. I got a properly working MXPE today.

I can confirm that my setup with the FiiO Q1, the USB OTG adapter, and the HibyMusic app works great on the MXPE as well.