[REVIEW] Aukey Magnetic Wireless Earbuds

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
https://youtu.be/XS5xhV2boVk

Remember when there were a couple of guys that were up to no good, who started making trouble in the neighborhood? And then you got into one little fight your mommy got scared and sent you live with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air? Me too. I loved the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. And it has exactly nothing to do with this review… other than the song was cool, and these nifty little earphones by Aukey also happen to be musical. Not only are they musical, but they’re Bluetooth, they have an excellent 8hrs of playtime, and they also come with a 24-month (2 year) warranty! Yup. That’s why I said nifty, because it’s a great way to describe these little guys.

20180712_204848.jpg

Presentation: The Aukey Magnetic Wireless Earbuds aren’t exactly the most hip or trendy in the name department, but they more than make up for it it with excellent pricing, eco-friendly packaging, and 12 hours of talk/play time. Overall, the box they come in is plain-Jane, and looks like a regular everyday brown cardboard box – which is exactly what it is… - but, this is a great lesson in not placing product expectations on packaging. The two wireless earbuds come with built in ear-wings and two extra sets of ear bud tips that are stylish and comfortable, and they even come with their own neat little pouch to tote them around in. They also come with one of the world’s tiniest MicroUSB charging cables, and a cool little warranty card that doubles as a sticker that you can place somewhere convenient for decorations!

20180712_204612.jpg
20180712_204827.jpg

Sound Quality: The overall sound quality is good; not great, and not bad. Aukey definitely did a few things well when they designed these earphones, especially if you like bass. The bass in these little guys carries well and has some thump, although it’s a bit overpowering at times when it comes to the rest of the sound spectrum. Using some sort of audio program with a mixer or custom equalizer is a must, to trim down the overpowering bass and balance out the rest of the sound. I found that before I used my custom equalizer that the sound balance wasn’t overly impressive, and felt every bit of about a $20 pair of headphones, but… once I changed things up a bit and threw in my normal listening equalizer settings, they sounded mo’bettah – which is great. The vocals are pretty solid and don’t get lost in translation, but the highs are a little diminished when you’re rocking full-power bass. If you even it out for some easy listening and don’t place so much emphasis on the boom-boom-pow, then you can get some clean, comfortable sound out of these earphones. The volume is also better than average. One thing I have found is that a lot of lower-end earphone companies like to crank up the volume and the bass to try and lure people in, at the expense of overall sound quality. And if you stopped right here and only paid attention to what I had to say about the bass up above, then you might get the impression about these earphones as well… but that would be incorrect. The volume is very good for these earphones and sound quality isn’t sacrificed, if done right. If you listen to them with a Power or Bass preset on your EQ, you may find it rings a bit more true. However, if you listen to more of a Classical, Rock, or Natural preset, everything comes out pretty well in the wash, and sounds nice at the same time.

20180712_204848.jpg
20180712_204933.jpg

Functionality: The Magnetic Wireless Earbuds are pretty straight-forward and easy to use, which is great. One of the acronyms I grew up with back in my military days was “keep it simple”, which was a concept that I grew to appreciate. Sometimes when things are more complex, they are less useful, less efficient, and more susceptible to breaking. Aukey does a great job with its simple and useful setup, relying only on a small control module to make these earphones sing and dance. The control module has volume up and volume down buttons, a multi-function play/power button, and a small slot on the side to connect the MicroUSB for charging – that’s all folks! Straight out of the box these earphones are super easy to pair. All I did was turn them on and they showed right up on my Bluetooth menu on my phone. All you have to do is click on the name and Voila, you’re in business! Another cool feature is that the earphones are magnetic, as the name describes. This means that there are magnets built into the earbuds that allow you to connect them together via the back of the earbuds, which is great for convenience. Rounding out the total package is the built-in microphone, and integrated EQ settings; the latter enables you to switch up the sound balance on-the-fly with a simple double-press of the multi-function button. OK, it’s not really simple. In an attempt to double-click the button I inadvertently turned off the earphones quite a few times, but once you get the hang of it it’s not so bad, and it allows you to change the EQ settings between three different presets: vocals, bass, and treble. Albeit a nifty feature, and it works on some levels, it’s no substitute for proper equalizer balancing and presets in a well-made audio player.

20180712_204940.jpg
20180712_205024.jpg

Additional Features and Specs:
- Rated for 8hrs of listening time!
- Comes with a MicroUSB 2.0 charging cord, but it’s very short. (charging base not included)
- Fully charged in 1.5hrs
- Comes with a fancy carrying pouch
- IPX4 Water Resistance
- Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity (one-touch pairing), and a range of 10m (33ft)
- Comes with a total of three (3) different sets of ear bud tips and ear wings, for your individual preference and comfort.
- The backs of the ear buds are magnetic, and they will stick together for convenience.

20180712_213419.jpg

Conclusion: Aukey does a great job of keeping things simple, all while showcasing a few nifty little features that make these earphones worth the modest price they are asking for them. They don’t try to do too much, but they do everything well-enough that it gives you a solid listening experience that is very adaptive and receptive to equalizer settings. The sound adjustments are readily apparent and offer a lot for a budget pair of earphones, especially if you like to change things up a bit and fine-tune your listening experience. The bonus pairs of ear bud tips and wings also come in handy and pretty much guarantee a comfortable fit for just about anyone. So… all of this to say, I dig-em, and I think they’re worth the $25 price tag.

If you’re interested in picking up a pair of Aukey’s Magnetic Wireless Earbuds, you can find them directly on Amazon, and they are eligible for Prime 2-day shipping. They are currently priced at $25.99 - https://amzn.to/2JhWMmh. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them down in the comments section!

Last but not least, I did want to go ahead and do a short plug for the Aukey TeamTechKey program. They were nice enough to send out these earphones for me to review, so I’d like to do the favor of sharing this program with interested readers who may be in the market for reviewing products. Aukey’s TeamTechKey is a review-based program, where you sign up and if selected, Aukey will send you products to review, but… you have to do some honest work for it if you are selected for the program. In exchange for receiving products to review, you have a week to test out the product and write-up a review, video, or some other meaningful engagement to share the product and your experience with your own userbase. Want to learn more? Here’s the link: https://www.aukey.com/teamtechkey_program - in full disclosure, this review, statement and blurb are not sponsored by Aukey or required by them, and I am not a part of this program, but I do think it’s nice that they provide this opportunity for hopeful tech enthusiasts who want to do some product reviews in exchange for some sweet products.

Attachments

• 20180712_213419.jpg
    20180712_213419.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited: