I know this is not a cell phone, but the principle seems to be the same if you have a phone with a proprietary USB charger that is missing.

Someone gave me a swimming, underwater Finis Neptune MP3 player but the problem is the charging cable was not included. Since this is a waterproof MP3 player the cable is proprietary and it is impossible to find a cable (from the company or otherwise) without buying a second unit on eBay with the cable.

My 1st question: Is there a way to cut apart an old USB cable and make my own charger/transfer cable? How do
    My 2nd question: There are four contacts on the bottom of the MP3 player. How do I map each one to know what is positive, negative, ground and data transfer? (Photo of pins attached)

Thanks!
    How to make a custom USB cable a proprietary device?-img_6429_thumb.jpg
    05-31-2019 04:58 PM
    My 1st question: Is there a way to cut apart an old USB cable and make my own charger/transfer cable? How do
    With a connection like the one shown your best results will be to find the proper mating connector to wire up. On the up-side, if you can find the connector it may have matching wire colors to those found in a standard USB cable so it may be easier.

My 2nd question: There are four contacts on the bottom of the MP3 player. How do I map each one to know what is positive, negative, ground and data transfer? (Photo of pins attached)
    You'd need to find a schematic of the device (maybe on an FCC filing?) that details the pin mappings for that connector.
    05-31-2019 05:10 PM
    You have to find a mating connector - if it's USB (it may not be - 4 pins doesn't automatically mean USB), but the Duo charging cable may work (the picture is more detailed than your picture if you roll over it with your mouse cursor - take a look). It's US$20 (plus shipping), which isn't bad for a proprietary cable. Or contact Finis at:

USA
    FINIS,Inc.
    7085-E Las Positas Road
    Livermore, CA 94551
    Phone: +1(925)454-0111
    Fax: +1 (925) 454-0066
    Email: info@FINISinc.com

EU
    FINIS,Inc.
    Malashevska Str.
    No.8 Store E2
    Sofia 102, Bulgaria
    Phone: +359 2 936 86 36
    Email: info@FINISinc.com

Or submit a support ticket at https://www.finisswim.com/contact-us, asking how you can get a charging cable for the Neptune if the Duo cable won't work with the Neptune.
    05-31-2019 05:35 PM