The Verge Reviews the Acer C720 Chromebook

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I had seen this review before I bought my C720. I was particularly interested in the video playback. That was the major problem I had with the Samsung chromebook. There have been a lot of great reviews about this chromebook. I can't say this enough, I think what ultimately blows people's mind about this device, the performance is so good, and the it looks and feels terrific, and it costs $200. Now in the video, it stated that it was $249, but in the stores, its $49 cheaper. That's what makes this so attractive and I believe that's why they have been flying off the shelves. Of course there are rumblings that it isn't a full OS and that it can't replace a Windows laptop or Mac. But it can. For those who this chromebook is designed for it can completely replace a traditional laptop. With the cloud storage available (100 GB of Google Drive) and the Web App store and the multitude of Google services, a person who knows how to manage these things would be more than ecstatic with the chromebook and can be very productive. I have had chromebooks for about a year now and before then, I used my iPad as my laptop replacement and I have yet to run into any issues. And I'm not overstating, I have never once felt that I needed a Windows laptop to complete any task. This is because I had completely committed to the cloud a long time ago. And I haven't looked back.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Now in the video, it stated that it was $249, but in the stores, its $49 cheaper.

I think the reason why they quoted $249 is that they were reviewing the 4 GB RAM version (still with the 16 GB SSD). As you and I (and many others) have found out, 2 GB of RAM is perfectly fine for normal usage, and $200 is tough to beat!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I think the reason why they quoted $249 is that they were reviewing the 4 GB RAM version (still with the 16 GB SSD). As you and I (and many others) have found out, 2 GB of RAM is perfectly fine for normal usage, and $200 is tough to beat!

Do they still sell that version? I guess I wouldn't need that much RAM anyway. I don't have any hiccups with the 2GB of RAM I have now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. When I was shopping around, I only ever saw the 4 GB version being sold for upwards of $300-400 on Amazon, usually by resellers.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I did have a mishap the other day. I dropped my Chromebook from my nightstand ( about 3 feet) and there was some separation around the screen. I snapped everything back in and it looks fine (like nothing ever happened), but it does bother me that it came apart that easily. I have carpeted floors in the bedroom, so it wasn't a hard fall at all. However, I don't anticipate dropping my Chromebook often. Actually, I can't remember the last time I dropped a laptop if I have ever. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, the C720 isn't indestructible.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I did have a mishap the other day. I dropped my Chromebook from my nightstand ( about 3 feet) and there was some separation around the screen. I snapped everything back in and it looks fine (like nothing ever happened), but it does bother me that it came apart that easily. I have carpeted floors in the bedroom, so it wasn't a hard fall at all. However, I don't anticipate dropping my Chromebook often. Actually, I can't remember the last time I dropped a laptop if I have ever. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, the C720 isn't indestructible.

Most $200 laptop form factor electronic devices aren't. :)

The fact that a laptop form factor device is probably less likely to get damaged (because its clam-shell design protects both the screen and the keyboard) is one of the subtle advantages chromebooks (and smaller laptops) have over tablets IMO, especially if you are traveling with either device.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Most $200 laptop form factor electronic devices aren't. :)

The fact that a laptop form factor device is probably less likely to get damaged (because its clam-shell design protects both the screen and the keyboard) is one of the subtle advantages chromebooks (and smaller laptops) have over tablets IMO, especially if you are traveling with either device.

I think there would have been a different result if my Chromebook had been closed. But falling with the screen up made it more vulnerable. But everything snapped back into place just fine. Performance is fine. It will probably never happen again. It's just when you see it separate like that, you wonder if there has been any permanent damage that you aren't seeing. For the last couple of days, every time I pick it up, I check it to see if there is any damage that I missed. I will forget about it in about a week. No worries.