I recently purchased an Acer ChromeBook because I believe I've been hacked, spied on, you name it. Trying to deciper everything has been overwhelming, and I am not paranoid -- I know often this is the case. Not this time. Anyway, I thought a CB might give me a way to communicate and get the help I need without being seen, but it's not working for a number of reasons.

With the risk of sounding paranoid, however, I have to ask if the following apps would have come preinstalled on a new low end Chromebook purchased at Wal-Mart? It seems odd, but I suppose it's possible. I had a bad feeling last week when I left house -- and when I returned, and now see this so I have to risk feeling embarrassed and ask....the already installed apps in question are:

Celestia IDE
    Text
    Chrome Remote Desktop
    Google Sites
    Wicked Good Unarchiver

Your help would be deeply appreciated. I really need someone to help me with all this. Thanks.
    Linda
    11-25-2016 12:48 PM
    The app names you list are all legitimate. Whether the apps really are those names, or just viruses with the names of legitimate apps is impossible to say, but I'd guess that they're legitimate.

Most "hacks", where you think you're being spied on, use much less technical means of spying on you - like things you might have posted to social sites, talking to your friends, following you, etc. If you think you may be, though, change your Google password, use a password program (I use Keepass) so you can use military-strength (20 random character) passwords and still only have to remember one - the one to get into the password program. Then change the passwords on any other sites you frequent - to long, strong passwords created by the password program. (If you use the same password on all the sites you visit, you increase the risk of being actually hacked by hundreds of times. Someone can "catch" the first letter you type, next week he can get the second one, etc., and by the time he has all of them, he has access to all the sites you visit.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-25-2016 01:41 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I've been trying to do that, but he has my Google and Apple accounts listed as 'parent' I think. I'm at the stage where I need to prove it is happening, as opposed to simply avoiding it - and also important. It gets complicated and it's exhausting. I really need to know if those apps are pre-installed, which I now think unlikely because Celestia IDE isn't even available in Chrome Web Store and Beta. If someone is entering my home without my knowledge or permission, or has been given remote access to make these changes within the apps or system by someone in my household, I need to find it and demonstrate it. Otherwise, the problem continues via simple denial and deception becomes the norm. This doesn't work for me.Is it possible to set up chromebook to be spied upon through the network even with unfamiliar google accounts or passwords? Or keylogged or screenshots be sent to whoever it is? If so, where would I look for changes like that on this? Im getting used to Android and Mac files, but don't know where they are on Chromebook. Sorry if I sound inexperienced. I am. And thanks again... will take your advice on the passwords.
    11-25-2016 02:19 PM