Decent alternatives to Acer Chromebook 14

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am in Canada and it seems there are fewer Chromebook options available here than south of the border. I don’t love the idea of buying from US Amazon.com for complications that inevitably arise in the case of a warranty issue (have had to return one Chromebook in the past for a keyboard that died and it ended up costing about half what the thing was worth).

I would really love to buy the Acer Chromebook 14 from Costco locally because their warranty/return policy is so damn good, but unfortunately the one and only Chromebook model that Costco Canada carries in store, is the CB3-431-C6RY, which comes with a bilingual keyboard. I don’t know how many of you here have any experience with such a keyboard, but I wouldn’t give one to my worst enemy. I have done quite a bit of digging around and found that almost all Acer Chromebooks available in Canada come with the same keyboard. So that pretty much rules out all Acer for me.

All I am looking for is a solid build, like the Acer CB 14, all aluminum would be nice, a good quality display, keyboard and touch pad. It needs to be a solid performer but it is for my university student daughter, who is not a power user by any stretch. I don’t want to buy something underpowered. It doesn’t need touch screen, tablet mode, or pen support either. All of those would be nice, but I am trying to keep it to under $400 CDN ($300 USD).

Basically the Acer Chromebook 14 is a winner in all respects except for that damn bilingual keyboard. Wondering what models from ASUS, HP, Samsung, or any other brands, might fit the bill.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since you can install ChromeOS on any laptop, pick one and install ChromeOS on it. (I just did to an Atom Netbook [which gives new meaning to the word "slow" when running Windows] and an old laptop.)

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
What is a bilingual keyboard in Canada. My chromebook keyboard types in English or Spanish, depending on which I choose, but the keycaps are, of course, in English.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12