Just got my A100

r0c

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Sup guys, a former Blackberry Playbook owner, I just purchased the A100 Tab. I've used Android before on my HTC HD2. Its nice to see the new changes in android. How does this tablet compare to some of the others ? What are some must have apps ? Thanks guys :cool:

ddthld

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
r0c,

What do you think about the A100 coming from the Playbook. I'm looking for a 7" tablet and there aren't that many choices.

r0c

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, glad to answer.

I've had the A100 for about 2 -3 days now. First thing that is different is the build quality comparison. The Playbook is like a tank, built with very good sturdy materials. The A100 is built well aswell but doesn't seem so sturdy. Second thing is the availability of apps. Android marketplace as you know is full of apps. The Playbook Blackberry Marketplace is still growing but the main holdup seems to be the lack of a Native NDK for developers from which to make apps. Right now they are using an Adobe Air platform and the apps just don't compare. Os wise QNX the Playbooks OS is very polished and performs very well. It is very clean and straight to the point but as stated above it lacks some of the core apps such as native emai, contacts, calender etc. Rim says its coming soon. Android Honeycomb runs very well on the A100 Tab aswell. One main use of the tablets I use is watching Youtube. I would go to the site using the browser and load videos. On the Playbook i'd have videos running in the browser running at 1080p with no sweat. (even though the screen rez is alot smaller then 1080p - though the videos look great and sharp) On the Acer 720p is the limit as 1080p it will choke and not play smoothly. The screen on the Playbook is prob the best screen on any tablet i've seen. Super clean clear and bright. On the Acer there are viewing angle issues but its ok. The lack of core apps and not owning a Blackberry phone is what drove me to try out the Acer tablet. I was thinking of trying the Evo View 4g also but instead choose the Acer. Hope this helps guys.

ddthld

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
How are do the speakers compare? Which has the better battery life? Which seemed to hold a better WiFi connection? Thanks.

r0c

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
How are do the speakers compare? Which has the better battery life? Which seemed to hold a better WiFi connection? Thanks.
Battery life is definitely on the Playbooks side, about 8hrs or so. On the Acer Tab i think were looking at around 4-5 hrs. Speakers I will say Playbook aswell, each speaker facing you at the edge of the screen and they sound very good. The Acers speakers are both on the bottom by the home button so holding the tablet landscape both speakers face one way. Wireless I will say the Acer as my Playbook always found a way to drop the wifi signal or wouldn't respond while connected sporadically.

ddthld

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is definitely on the Playbooks side, about 8hrs or so. On the Acer Tab i think were looking at around 4-5 hrs. Speakers I will say Playbook aswell, each speaker facing you at the edge of the screen and they sound very good. The Acers speakers are both on the bottom by the home button so holding the tablet landscape both speakers face one way. Wireless I will say the Acer as my Playbook always found a way to drop the wifi signal or wouldn't respond while connected sporadically.
r0c,

Here's another one for ya....which is better to play racing games on? I think they both have NFS or similar games to compare. Which gyro feels like it works better while using the device as the "steering wheel"? Which one is smoother on the game playback? Thanks again!

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had both of these devices as well. I agree with most of what has been said.

I need to emphasize that the screen on the A100 is terrible. The Playbook had a terrific screen, as does the HTC Flyer I own. Viewing angles are awful, and I just can't find a way to look at the screen where it looks decent.

r0c

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've had both of these devices as well. I agree with most of what has been said.

I need to emphasize that the screen on the A100 is terrible. The Playbook had a terrific screen, as does the HTC Flyer I own. Viewing angles are awful, and I just can't find a way to look at the screen where it looks decent.
Bigum, lemme ask you. I have the option to pick up the HTC evo View which is the same as the HTC Flyer but with Sprint 4g. Which of the the android tablets do you perfer ? The Acer or the Flyer. I am debating on going to the Flyer for the screen quality alone. I know the Flyer has a 1.5gig Snapdragon cpu as apposed to a Tegra 2 as well as 1gig ram to the 512 on the Acer. Do you notice any differences in performance ? Thanks !

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Bigum, lemme ask you. I have the option to pick up the HTC evo View which is the same as the HTC Flyer but with Sprint 4g. Which of the the android tablets do you perfer ? The Acer or the Flyer. I am debating on going to the Flyer for the screen quality alone. I know the Flyer has a 1.5gig Snapdragon cpu as apposed to a Tegra 2 as well as 1gig ram to the 512 on the Acer. Do you notice any differences in performance ? Thanks !

Without hesitation I would pick the evo View. The screen and the implementation of the stylus are superb.

It doesn't have Honeycomb, but HTC has done a fabulous job with the Android 2.3 and their Sense overlay.

As far as processing speed, my HTC Flyer is much snappier than either my A100 was or my Galaxy Tab 10.1 is. Maybe the Android 2.3 is less demanding, but for whatever reason my Flyer has a much smoother interface. Email is handled well, and the supplied widgets are great.

I'm a bit of a techno-junkie, so I really like to try out devices. The HTC Flyer (evo View) has not disappointed.

My only caveat would be that the screen scratches easily. I never put on screen protectors, and I paid the price with my Flyer. It developed small scratches right away and then a large one after a USB connector hit it. I've since covered it with a ZAGG protector.

Good luck. Let us know what you pick!

r0c

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Without hesitation I would pick the evo View. The screen and the implementation of the stylus are superb.

It doesn't have Honeycomb, but HTC has done a fabulous job with the Android 2.3 and their Sense overlay.

As far as processing speed, my HTC Flyer is much snappier than either my A100 was or my Galaxy Tab 10.1 is. Maybe the Android 2.3 is less demanding, but for whatever reason my Flyer has a much smoother interface. Email is handled well, and the supplied widgets are great.

I'm a bit of a techno-junkie, so I really like to try out devices. The HTC Flyer (evo View) has not disappointed.

My only caveat would be that the screen scratches easily. I never put on screen protectors, and I paid the price with my Flyer. It developed small scratches right away and then a large one after a USB connector hit it. I've since covered it with a ZAGG protector.

Good luck. Let us know what you pick!
I choose the HTC Evo View as the company I work for has a contract with Sprint. That being said I get the device and the stylus for 250$ and with unlimited 4g service.

A co-worker has the tablet so I spent alittle time doing a comparison. I do agree that the HTC tablet feels abit more responsive. It is running Gingerbread but they did say it would get Honeycomb soon as an update.

Hardware wise the cpus differ as the Acer has a dual core Tegra and the Evo has a Snapdragon single core. How do these differ performance wise (gaming aside) Can the HTC play 720p/1080p youtube video in the browser ?

Last question is the Apps and Android Market. I believe they are different Markets for Gingerbread and Honeycomb ? Are the apps different ?

Thanks for the advice, It is much appreciated.

tcat007

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I just bought one at Walmart and will be returning it tomorrow. I just don't like the display. I know a different launcher can fix text size (to a degree), but the viewing angle is just bad. My "normal" view is portrait, and it changes just from one of my eyes to the other. Colors just seem to fluctuate with only slight movement. My Optimus-V display looks better (IMO), you'd think smaller, but nominal text size isn't much different! Speed is very good on the Acer!

This does have 512mb RAM, since it shows 456mb available. You only have about 5.3 GB storage remaining from the 8 gb advertised. I didn't like the very limited "screen" settings, basically only brightness. Personally I "thought" I would like a 7" form being much more portable, but after playing with it (and almost dropping it), it does weight a bit and really isn't that much more portable than a 10" screen. I may try the Transformer next (on sale at Frys with free case).

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I just bought one at Walmart and will be returning it tomorrow. I just don't like the display. I know a different launcher can fix text size (to a degree), but the viewing angle is just bad. My "normal" view is portrait, and it changes just from one of my eyes to the other. Colors just seem to fluctuate with only slight movement. My Optimus-V display looks better (IMO), you'd think smaller, but nominal text size isn't much different! Speed is very good on the Acer!

This does have 512mb RAM, since it shows 456mb available. You only have about 5.3 GB storage remaining from the 8 gb advertised. I didn't like the very limited "screen" settings, basically only brightness. Personally I "thought" I would like a 7" form being much more portable, but after playing with it (and almost dropping it), it does weight a bit and really isn't that much more portable than a 10" screen. I may try the Transformer next (on sale at Frys with free case).

Couldn't agree more about the display. It is beyond teribble. I simply can't look at it for any amount of time.

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I choose the HTC Evo View as the company I work for has a contract with Sprint. That being said I get the device and the stylus for 250$ and with unlimited 4g service.

A co-worker has the tablet so I spent alittle time doing a comparison. I do agree that the HTC tablet feels abit more responsive. It is running Gingerbread but they did say it would get Honeycomb soon as an update.

Hardware wise the cpus differ as the Acer has a dual core Tegra and the Evo has a Snapdragon single core. How do these differ performance wise (gaming aside) Can the HTC play 720p/1080p youtube video in the browser ?

Last question is the Apps and Android Market. I believe they are different Markets for Gingerbread and Honeycomb ? Are the apps different ?

Thanks for the advice, It is much appreciated.
The HTC can play 1080p video.

The market looks the same, but apps specifically for the tegra2 or honeycomb won't be there.

anon410546

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I picked one up at Walmart last week and returned it less than 24 hours later. I was so disappointed in the screen display--the viewing angle was ridiculous--the only way view on this tablet was by looking at it straight on--the least tipping of the tablet made the images distorted and negative-like. There was also no user manual on line when I purchased this and my calls to Acer customer service were very frustrating-they kept telling me that my serial number was not valid (??!!) and I could not get through to a real person. I am all done with Acer. I just bought an iPad 2 online yesterday, but do LOVE the 7" form, so will likely also be waiting for the HTC Flyer's price to drop, as I think the Flyer is one of the best little tabs out there. As an FYI: the Flyer scribe pen is on sale online through Best Buy starting today for $49.99, and the accessories for the Fyer are also deeply discounted.

scabsk8s

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
just bought this damn thing yesterday & have yet to be able to connect to my wifi network ,at 1st i was able to get it to connect with my internet but i was unable to go online even though the signal strength is excellent & now all i get is obtaining ip address & thats it ... this will be going back to wally world today

Bigum1969

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Finally got the chance to return my to WalMart today... The best part is they couldn't figure out how to process the $50 gift card that it came with. Soooo, they just let me have it! So I got my money back and got to keep a $50 gift card! Woohoo!