Cursor control on Acer Tab vs other Android devices?

buttonstc

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Since I've never used any Android phone I'm trying to figure out if this is an Android OS problem or the peculiar over sensitivity of the Iconia A100 screen.

I'm having an extremely difficult time trying to edit my typos due to the cursor's extreme reluctance to go where I'm trying to put it. Its not that I'm new to on screen touch keyboards since I've been using an iPhone for years.

But I was getting tired of the walled garden and lack of Flash. So I decided on an Android tablet. But along with learning a whole new interface with no reference books or online tutorials, I'm finding the jumpiness of this cursor is driving me crazy.

Someone linked to a vid on YT demonstrating the cursor and copy/paste. It looked a WHOLE LOT different and far more controllable than mine.

I'm hoping there are fellow Acer owners who also use Android phones can give me some comparisond between our tab and other Android devices specifically on this issue.

Is the Acer tab just more over sensitive or is this more of an Android keyboard issue? Please tell me what your Acer tablet experience has been like. Thanks.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I know what you're talking about. Sometimes I tap the screen to move the cursor and it bounces to a spot I didn't choose. I've tried quite a few keyboards on my Thunderbolt and Acer and I really think it depends on the keyboard. For me, the stock keyboard on the Acer is pretty bad at placing the cursor where you tap, whereas the stock HTC keyboard is extremely accurate. Thumb Keyboard is a little better on the tablet, but the cursor still jumps back to the beginning from time to time. My recommendation? Try out different keyboards, and go with the one you like best. Then, get used to using the arrow keys to move your cursor around if the keyboard you like isn't as accurate as you want.

For the record, SwiftKey X is my keyboard of choice on both my phone and tablet because the prediction engine is uncanny but Thumb Keyboard is pretty good also (It's what I'm using to type this). A lot of people like swype-type keyboards but they're just not for me. But that's one of the great things about Android; we can choose which keyboard we like best and we're not stuck with the one the manufacturer forced on us (even if Apple's keyboard is pretty good).

Also, you can get a free trial of SwiftKey X Tablet in the market so you can try it before buying.

Last edited:
Reactions: buttonstc

buttonstc

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that feedback. At least it lets me know where to focus my attention.

If it were solely an Android issue then I'd have little choice other than an I pad which, in addition to being hella expensive, does not yet come in a smaller form factor. I definitely focused my research prior to purchase on seven in hers and when the Acer came up on Best Buy on BF sale for under $200, I jumped on it. consumer reports also gave it good ratings.

I was considering trying out other keyboards and have downloaded a few of the free ones but have been so busy trying to get a handle on so many other confusing aspects of a totally different interface and what's where, etc. Which those with previous android experience can skip.

One quick Q. To which arrow keys are you referring. the only one I see is on the bottom left and it points right but doesn't move the cursor when I press it. And the large one on the right side with left facing arrow just skips to the next line of course.

Also does the keyboard you mentioned have an option for splitting in two to enable easier thumb typing on a tablet? I've always wanted to try something like that as I have basically just been a one finger typist so far but I see people doing the two thumbs thing and wonder if it may be faster. But old habts are hard to break :)

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I had to wait till I got home and check out the stock keyboard since I haven't used it in a while. Looks like it doesn't have the arrow keys which is kind of annoying. Now I would definitely recommend getting a different keyboard.

The good news is that both Thumb Keyboard and SwiftKey X have them, and they're far superior to the stock keyboard. Also, both are split to optimize thumb typing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams