Unable to connect to WiFi

rsix

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I can't say that I blame you. My issue was resolved with one reset, and it seems to have worked, At least for the past 4 days.
It's frustrating to have to do work arounds on buggy updates. I really think that is just always going to be the norm with any Android tablet for the foreseeable future. We are going to be in a endless cycle of beta testing. That is Google for you.
In the meantime, Apple is killing the market in tablets. If they decide to offer external storage options such as MicroSD or USB on the next iPad, you can bet that that will really cut into an already struggling Android tablet market.

Good luck with the Toshiba. Let us know how it works out for you.
So I have had about a day to play with the Toshiba Thrive now after switching from the Iconia. Both of them are quite thick and bulky, the Acer feels much nicer in your hands because of the nice build of the back cover.

The Toshiba has a plasticy but much more durable back cover. If you're putting a case on the Iconia this is a moot point, I really feel like I don't even need to put a case on the Toshiba, if the back gets messed up you can just pick up another one. Another nice feature I like with the Toshiba is all of the ports are covered by a nice little door. When you open that door you get a micro USB, Full Size USB and a Full size HDMI. It also has a Full Sized SD card slot.

And the most important feature... It always connects to WIFI. I really liked the Acer... And at $100 cheaper (Costco deal) it wasn't worth it to switch to the Toshiba (If the Acer was working properly). But if I'm dropping $500 on a device I want it to work right. Hopefully Acer gets this figured out soon... If you're still in your return period, go check out the Thrive, it's a nice alternative.

trgilman

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So I have had about a day to play with the Toshiba Thrive now after switching from the Iconia. Both of them are quite thick and bulky, the Acer feels much nicer in your hands because of the nice build of the back cover.

The Toshiba has a plasticy but much more durable back cover. If you're putting a case on the Iconia this is a moot point, I really feel like I don't even need to put a case on the Toshiba, if the back gets messed up you can just pick up another one. Another nice feature I like with the Toshiba is all of the ports are covered by a nice little door. When you open that door you get a micro USB, Full Size USB and a Full size HDMI. It also has a Full Sized SD card slot.

And the most important feature... It always connects to WIFI. I really liked the Acer... And at $100 cheaper (Costco deal) it wasn't worth it to switch to the Toshiba (If the Acer was working properly). But if I'm dropping $500 on a device I want it to work right. Hopefully Acer gets this figured out soon... If you're still in your return period, go check out the Thrive, it's a nice alternative.

Thanks for the follow up on the Toshiba. It looks like it's a pretty nice tablet. I like that the battery is replaceable. That is a really nice feature. So far my single reset fixed my WiFi issue. I don't think I will have that problem again. Once again, us Android users are also beta testers. Still, 3.1 is a much more sophisticated OS then Apple's iOS. I like my wife's iPad 2, but it has really limited functionality compared to the A500.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I got the WiFi problem again last night. I'm going to try some other options before I reset. It's really a pain in the @ss to have to reinstall all my apps. I'm really not lossing anything as I really don't store any important docs or files on my Tab.

trgilman

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I got the WiFi problem again last night. I'm going to try some other options before I reset. It's really a pain in the @ss to have to reinstall all my apps. I'm really not lossing anything as I really don't store any important docs or files on my Tab.

Try the soft reset that was recommended (small paperclip in the reset button).
You won't lose apps or other stored info.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Try the soft reset that was recommended (small paperclip in the reset button).
You won't lose apps or other stored info.

I did. No dice. Ddid you have to do more than one soft reset?I don't know how to do the static IP thing. I might try that.

rsix

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the follow up on the Toshiba. It looks like it's a pretty nice tablet. I like that the battery is replaceable. That is a really nice feature. So far my single reset fixed my WiFi issue. I don't think I will have that problem again. Once again, us Android users are also beta testers. Still, 3.1 is a much more sophisticated OS then Apple's iOS. I like my wife's iPad 2, but it has really limited functionality compared to the A500.
It's very nice. The Acer has a much nicer feel with the metallic back. That's really the only plus to the Acer. I love not having to purchase a case for the Thrive, since both the Acer and Thrive are kind of bulky this makes a big difference. Just slap a screen protector on it and go.

Toshiba has already released a dock for it too. I was tempted to grab one while I was at Best Buy but didn't.

CubanoRafter

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I did. No dice. Ddid you have to do more than one soft reset?I don't know how to do the static IP thing. I might try that.

I read someone had to do it two times but it worked fine for me once.
I was instructed to begin to connect to my network, then do the soft reset...

I went ahead and rooted after the soft reset so I could install TiBackup and save my apps in case I ever have to to a hard reset... Now I can also delete the DHCP lease file in case I need to...

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
It's too late for you now that you've rooted, but according to this thread over at XDA, a double soft reset should fix the problem, at least for a while.

I've tried double and triple soft resets, nothing! :mad:

update:
I got it!!! When you do the soft reset, DO NOT unlock the screen. If it doesn't connect, with the screen still locked, do another soft reset.

Last edited:

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
It happend to me again this morning. The problem seems to be getting worse. The soft rest trick did work though

rmingee

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
In case anyone else struggles with this the way I did, I tried numerous different ways to fix this, and in the end this is the only procedure that worked:

1) forget home network
2) disable wifi
3) remove lease file (must be rooted)
4) reset, let fully restart
5) reset again
6) enable wifi
7) select network, enter password
8) joy (finally)

Even a full factory wipe from clockwork recovery would NOT fix it. After restoring the full nandroid backup I had done before the wipe, this finally worked (but I don't think the backup/restore was a factor because I had subsequent failures before discovering this thanks to a tip on xda).

Hope that helps anyone still stuck on this.

-- robert

eloekset

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I tried both reset options suggested here, but they didn't work for me. I even did the factory reset twice, just to be sure. What did help, was to disable channel auto scan in my router. I don't know why it suddenly stopped working because of this, but I updated the firmware of my router yesterday, and the tablet stopped working after that. I do however believe that the channel auto scan was turned on before I did the update. Anyway, I turned it back on, and the tablet stopped listing my network, I turned it off again, and the tablet was able to find my network, so I'm sure that channel auto scan was the problem. (My wireless printer, windows phone and laptop worked perfectly all the time.)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance