04-27-2012 08:29 AM
159 ... 23456 ...
tools
    It shouldn't because its a signed file so it should back everything up just like it would when you accept an OTA
    02-22-2012 04:00 PM
    I updated to the leaked rom very easily. I downloaded the update directly on my tablet. Changed the name of the update to update.zip and then used astro file manager to move it to my external SD card. Once I shut down and then booted into recovery (volume up and power button) update took about 8 minutes. My apps and data were all intact so this is a signed ROM. So far completely bug free. Everything is here except for the ACER ring. I'm really impressed with this build and ICS. There are subtle differences which I'm still exploring. If your Iconia is unrooted and stock, then I would suggest heading to XDA and grabbing the update.
    Danv1369 likes this.
    02-24-2012 07:13 AM
    I did the manual update! Took 15 mins of my time, and it works great!!
    02-26-2012 07:08 PM
    Hey, check out acer's site

Press
    02-27-2012 09:03 PM
    It's nice to see an offical announcement.
    02-27-2012 10:29 PM
    I updated to the leaked rom very easily. I downloaded the update directly on my tablet. Changed the name of the update to update.zip and then used astro file manager to move it to my external SD card. Once I shut down and then booted into recovery (volume up and power button) update took about 8 minutes. My apps and data were all intact so this is a signed ROM. So far completely bug free. Everything is here except for the ACER ring. I'm really impressed with this build and ICS. There are subtle differences which I'm still exploring. If your Iconia is unrooted and stock, then I would suggest heading to XDA and grabbing the update.
    Does the update have the new skin? I know you mentioned the acer ring is not there but was curious if the rest of the acer overlay was present.
    03-01-2012 04:33 PM
    Decided to install the update using the steps provided by Bako88fan...updating now
    03-02-2012 10:24 AM
    So far so good. Nice being able to disable all the acer bloatware.
    03-02-2012 02:32 PM
    I installed and it is running great. How do you disable to Acer bloatware?
    03-03-2012 07:23 AM
    Install the rooted version and download titanium backup or delete them manually with a file explorer
    03-03-2012 09:38 PM
    Does the update have the new skin? I know you mentioned the acer ring is not there but was curious if the rest of the acer overlay was present.
    No it seems to be pretty much the aosp tablet version of ICS. Just to update, I spent a week at a trade show taking notes on my tablet and i can't help but brag about it. Some observations:
    1. The update made the A500 noticeably faster
    2. It has not force closed one time
    3. I took notes on it all day. Most of the notes were taken with pictures. I had a really crappy WiFi connection all while using evernote and I never had less than 75% battery at the end of the day. I used to be able to go 6 hours with heavy use. Now I go 2 days between charges.
    3. Video quality was definitely better, smoother with less pixelization and not choppy.
    4. The level of refinement compared to honeycomb experience blew me away.

I've used my A500 more in the past week than I had since I bought it. I'm more impressed than ever with the hardware and software.

In short, if you aren't rooted, downloading this rom is akin to getting a brand new tablet.
    cloak.n.dagger likes this.
    03-05-2012 01:09 AM
    I installed and it is running great. How do you disable to Acer bloatware?
    go into settings>apps

choose the all tab and you will see all the software on the tablet. Click on any software and you will get a button to uninstall or disable. If it is bloat that cannot be uninstalled it will say disable. Disabling does not remove the software but turns it "off" and hides any icons in your app drawer.

You do not need to be rooted for this to work. this is a feature built into ICS.
    UnfocusedHTC likes this.
    03-05-2012 12:58 PM
    go into settings>apps

choose the all tab and you will see all the software on the tablet. Click on any software and you will get a button to uninstall or disable. If it is bloat that cannot be uninstalled it will say disable. Disabling does not remove the software but turns it "off" and hides any icons in your app drawer.

You do not need to be rooted for this to work. this is a feature built into ICS.
    I like this.
    03-05-2012 01:31 PM
    No it seems to be pretty much the aosp tablet version of ICS. Just to update, I spent a week at a trade show taking notes on my tablet and i can't help but brag about it. Some observations:
    1. The update made the A500 noticeably faster
    2. It has not force closed one time
    3. I took notes on it all day. Most of the notes were taken with pictures. I had a really crappy WiFi connection all while using evernote and I never had less than 75% battery at the end of the day. I used to be able to go 6 hours with heavy use. Now I go 2 days between charges.
    3. Video quality was definitely better, smoother with less pixelization and not choppy.
    4. The level of refinement compared to honeycomb experience blew me away.

I've used my A500 more in the past week than I had since I bought it. I'm more impressed than ever with the hardware and software.

In short, if you aren't rooted, downloading this rom is akin to getting a brand new tablet.
    thanks I installed the leaked update and also noticed it is faster. I no longer have the lag in the keyboard on some websites. I did get some lag in the app drawer but a reboot seemed to fix that. Overall I am very pleased with ICS on tablets. I like the Google Music player on the log screen also. Big and easy to use.
    03-05-2012 03:49 PM
    I like this.
    Becareful what you disable. I disabled all the Acer apps and the dock no longer worked. I re-enabled them and it worked again.
    03-05-2012 03:51 PM
    I have the manual update and I rest want the Acer ring.. anybody know how to get it with the manual update?
    03-05-2012 09:54 PM
    I have the manual update and I rest want the Acer ring.. anybody know how to get it with the manual update?
    I dont think that is possible
    03-07-2012 05:23 PM
    While waiting patiently for my A500's ICS update, my 2 year old 1st gen iPad got an iOS update to 5.1 on the day Apple released it.

Gotta love the "open" Android OS. I guess "open" means FU to the consumer
    03-14-2012 01:23 PM
    Well apple is the only company that uses ios. Android is used by a lot more. So when apple releases an update it affects the 4 products they carry.
    03-14-2012 03:13 PM
    I would rather have the customization options in Android then the cookie cutter experience on iOS. If that means I need to wait a little longer for an update thats fine by me. If I dont want to wait I can just flash what I want...which is exactly what I did
    scarryman04 likes this.
    03-15-2012 10:54 AM
    Re: the iPad comment, I'm reminded of the scene from Tommy Boy when Chris Farley is trying to sell a guy auto parts ... something along the lines of "I can take a dump in a box, and slap a guarantee on the side, but at the end of the day all I really have is a guaranteed piece of sh*t."

I can have a Gen 1 iPad and slap iOS 5.1 on it, but at the end of the day...

I suffered through one iOS device, and that was enough for me to learn my lesson: my Android drvices, with all the issues and staggered rollouts, still beat any new iOS device / software update in my book.
    scarryman04 and Ksfrmdinc like this.
    03-15-2012 11:24 PM
    After owning Android devices for 2 years, I've suffered with so many buggy releases, reboots, non-functional GPS, serious lag, terrible battery life, and now overpriced tablets no app support that iOS is a breath of fresh air.

Having both an original iPad and A500, the iPad is the winner hands down. It is actually much more customizable because it actually has a wide selection of tablet apps - something the A500 lacks. The Android tablet apps are a joke. So is the A500's battery life. The battery is dead in less than 2 days so you have to charge every night or it is a brick. iPad lasts 2 weeks easily.

When I bought it I thought all the talk about "open" "customizable" blah blah blah meant something. Its was just Google's propaganda to sell more junk. Its no wonder Android tablets have to be so heavily discounted to sell in the bargain bins.
    03-16-2012 07:37 AM
    I have a ton of apps on my A500. 145 to be exact. And having apps does not really make it customizable. I can change the entire UI using a Home Launcher, add countless Widgets, customize icons/folders etc. You cannot do this on iOS. Also my A500 goes about 5-7 days without a charge. I have been on battery for 2 days and have 55% battery left.

Regardless of what the OS can and cannot do it will always come down to user preference. My fiance had 1 Android device. It was a low end phone and it had its issue. She says she will never go back to Android, just as I will never own another Apple product (I have an ipod...hate itunes).
    03-16-2012 09:56 AM
    Just because a person had a bad experience with Android, that doesn't mean that the entire system is flawed and therefore should be chunked in the trash and traded for iOS.

All this talk of having "tablet apps" means very little to someone who uses a tablet mainly for surfing the web or checking emails. Exactly what "tablet" apps are missing that should be created right away, because owning an android device of some sort for over 2 years now, and recently purchasing an A500 (started with an A100 that I took back and swapped for the A200, then I bought the A500 from Newegg and got my money back on the A200)..so I'm settled with the A500 now, and I can't manage to find all of these flaws that cause a major issue. I owned an iPod WAY before I got this tablet...in fact, I had an iPod 1 1/2 years before I ever have an Android phone...but I still didn't like being locked into Apple that way.

With Apple, I HAD to have a credit card on my account in order to do ANYTHING..even though I hadn't bought anything and wasn't going to buy anything, I STILL had to put a credit card number on the Itunes store..But when I bought my Android phone...did I need a credit card to sign up for Gmail and sync it with my phone? NO. I wasn't FORCED to tie a credit card to my Android account....as I was with Apple. And when my son got my iPod and ran up $24 in Farmville crap on my iPod playing a game..do you think Apple cared when I called and demanded my money back? No...they refused to give it back..so I disputed the charge. Then I had to change my Itunes over to a NEW email..and was forced to REDO everything I had done under Apple/Itunes. All my FREE apps now required a DIFFERENT credit card number just so I could download them again.
    The only alternative to this??? Deal with my ipod saying that it was 4:00pm on August 1, 1979. That was my "open" option with all it's greatness. Does Android freak out when you disconnect a phone from the account? nope...it keeps your apps active, meaning you can still use WIFI and play the games..or use the purchased apps...bet you can't do that with Iphones if you cancel the CC that's tied to the account.
    03-17-2012 01:16 PM
    I'm an apple convert myself. I have had both an iPod and an iPhone years ago. Both were pieces of crap and both locked you into apple idea of what using a computer is. Apples bull crap has problems to because there software ruins the experience. I can't wait for apple to go out of business, there products suck and there business model sux. Ipad 3 is a joke. The only difference is a slight better screen and slightly better front and back cameras. Apple didn't even have the decency to make it compatible with the iPad 2 accessories. In glad Steve jobs is dead and gone, hopefully his company won't be far behind.
    03-17-2012 11:38 PM
159 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD