Might be lack of knowledge, but I got a question...

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the A500, after some in-depth exchanging and swapping that I did to wind up with the 500...
(I originally bought the 7-inch A100...from Walmart - which I despise buying electronics from, but the 7" was going to be for my daughter. I took the tablet to get it ready for my daughter..and I wound up liking it. So I decided to keep it. Then, I went to Walmart.com and saw that they had a 10" tablet..so I go to the local walmart again, and I swapped the 7" plus paid some extra for the 10" that I had seen online -- or thought I seen online. Got home and found out that the tablet I bought wasn't the 10" I saw online..had no rear camera, and was only an 8gb where I looked at the 16gb...I had bought the A200. It had ICS and took all sorts of updates when I turned it on, but I just wasn't satisfied. So I went to Newegg and found the A500 refurbed for LESS than the brand new A200 from Walmart....so I decided to get it. I bought the A500 from Newegg, waited on it to get here and played with the A200 while I waited. Then I returned the A200 for a full refund -- thanks to Walmart's 15-day return/exchange policy.)

So now, with the A500...I'm with everyone else and waiting on ICS. I've read SOME of the stuff on how to root, but nothing in-depth. I am curious about rooting 3.2.1 though..from what I've seen there's not a direct way of rooting it, but an indirect way where you revert to something lower like 3.1...or whatever.
Question is, what's this that I have read about the serial number being involved in the rooting process...or the product number..some sort of hard-coded number gets changed or something during the rooting?
I don't want to do anything to where I'd mess up my tablet and not be able to revert back to stock and get the OTA 4.0.3 when it hits.

I also noticed yesterday that there was an update for one of the background programs called Iconia Tab updater...so maybe we're getting closer to the ICS dropping and it won't be long now..

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly we are getting ICS some time in April. So yep right around the corner. I can't wait either. There is also an unofficial ICS for the a500 out and about.

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
If you want updates do not buy a droid tablet. The Android vendors are notorious for abandoning their hardware within a year and providing updates 6 months late if at all.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't really ask for personal thoughts or your opinions of droid tablets..I asked about rooting my ALREADY PURCHASED tablet...so please don't take my thread into a battle....Obviously I already bought my tablet and I'm perfectly satisfied with what I bought...and I didn't ask for opinions on what I should buy. Thanks for the unwanted .02 cents thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

jhowle9475

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Don't let apple fan boy banter get to you. I have had an A500 for a few months and it has been amazing. As far as updates go, well android is a new market comparatively to apple so as new tech comes along sometimes models get dropped. I can't say that apple is any different because they have figured out how to resell to people something they already own for double the money. If you that confuses you then what I am trying to say that is basically a new apple model is the same as the it's previous with 1 minor difference when it comes to apple tabs.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you want updates do not buy a droid tablet. The Android vendors are notorious for abandoning their hardware within a year and providing updates 6 months late if at all.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Funny, our A500s have all been updated to Android 3.2.1 as well as multiple other system updates, and they're pretty much on track for Android 4.0. Wow, so notorious for abandoning hardware.:eek:

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
There is a direct way to root 3.2.1 I have posted the link to it a few times around here...as well as a serial/product number getting changed, I don't know where you read that from because rooting doesn't change anything of that nature, all it does is give you access to the system such as a Administrator account does on your windows pc. As to wanting to revert to stock to get the official OTA why would you want to do that? The whole reason for rooting is the custom ROMs/kernels so you can customize your Android experience not being stock. (At least my whole reason) :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech