Acer Iconia Tips and Tricks

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just poking about in here, BUT I have a rooted NookColor which also shows cell standby as consuming a decent chunk of battery in Juicedefender or otherwise. After extensive testing by multiple people it was determined that disabling/renaming/uninstalling/freezing cell standby has no affect on battery life whatsoever.

Try doing some real-time testing. run the battery down to zero with it enabled, then disabled and see if there's a difference...for us it was confirmed to have none over several users. (This was actually an ongoing debate for a couple months, just trying to save you guys the headache :))

I've been testing this to see if it is the same issue (or non-issue) as it was on the Nook Color. We definitely do get battery drain from this issue.

Acer used the same firmware in the Wifi version of the Iconia as they did in the 3g version. This means that the Wifi version is constantly searching for a 3g signal that it cannot find.

Renaming the telephony and phone apks will fix this, but will prevent ota updates from Acer from installing and can brick the tablet if you factory reset with them renamed or disabled, so it is not a task to take lightly.

However, there is a program available on the market that will allow us to easily disable and reenable the services and after using it I have noticed a significant increase in battery life.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.interphaze.AcerIconiaPhoneDisabler&feature=search_result

Once installed and used to disable the services, you will get a force close message for the Phone service and the tab will reboot. This is not the program force closing, it is the phone service closing because it is disabled.

VERY IMPORTANT : if you need to Factory Reset or apply an update, you will need to first reenable the services and reboot. Using a FACTORY RESET will BRICK the device if this is not done first.

It's available for 99 cents and requires that you be rooted.

Hope this helps some of you. It was definitely worth the price!

Fungii

May 31, 2011
Visit site
This isn't a tip or trick, but a honeycomb easter egg.
Go to settings>about tablet> where it says what version you are using (3.0.1) tap on it a few times and you'll get the tron honeycomb bee with "REZZZZZZZ" text box under it. Made me chuckle a little.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

armdavid2

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Also if you have an hdmi cable...you can do full screen mirroring on a TV, just doesn't show the bottom bar.....in addition full screen video chat with google talk on a TV works great....just set the tab at the base of the TV and your good to go!

pbxguy

May 13, 2011
Visit site
This is a great thread and I thought I'd bump it back to the front page with a thank for the advice and tips and ask if anyone has any more in the last three months since the last post.

Along this line, does anyone know of any effort to get the A500 with 3.2 rooted? I bought two of these from BB during Black Weekend and they came with 3.2 installed.

Peace!

BobMitton

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Tip: When using the HDMI port, turn off Dolby Mobile in Settings, especially if you're outputting to a good sound system. If you don't, the audio quality is awful. Dolby Mobile seems to EQ the audio for the tiny built-in speakers, which is way too tinny for a full sound system.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star