Rooting question

abdougl

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about rooting my Acer a500, mainly to get rid of the bloatware, and I'm wondering how does that effect future updates for the acer? As I understand it all rooting does is give you superuser status so you can modify your device. What I wanna know is if I root my device can I still download updates like normal or do I have to do anything special when new updates come out.

zcostilla

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, and I am not an expert on rooting, as long as you don't load a custom recovery and ROM, you should be able to update just fine. Any updates may cause you to lose your rooted capabilities.

nuke3ae

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You can download and install updates, the update will most likely remove root. you would then have to re-root and then proceed as normal.

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
If all you do is root for SU access, then you'll be fine with future updates. I rooted my Iconia and received the OTA update about 10 minutes afterwards, it did not remove root.

If you root AND remove any of the pre-installed software, even the Link to Adobe Flash and Link to Facebook, then future OTA updates will fail as the system checks to see if these are installed prior to applying the update. You'll have to reinstall the bloatware, then apply the update, then re-remove the bloatware. It's a PITA, I know, but its something we have to suffer through until Acer unlocks the bootloader so we can install custom ROMs. Right now, the encrypted bootloader is the main hinderance to further progression on development.

I recommend that if you root to remove any bloatware that you back up the APKs and the ODEX files before removing them. This will save you a headache when we get the 3.1 update - its rumored to come in early June.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908