OTA System Update - 1.141.07 - 5/26/11

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
So, I just happened to root my device using Gingerbreak 1.20 tonight.

Literally about 10 minutes later, I was prompted that a system update was available. I dont know if this was coincidence or if the rooting caused this to be seen as available. According to XDA, others are getting the update as well.

I downloaded the system update (38 something MB) and it gave me a message in the top left corner of the screen that it was booting into system recovery image and began applying.

Went from:

Android Version: 3.0.1
Kernel Version: 2.6.36.3-00001-g9b3ce2b
Build Number: Acer_A500_1.104.02_COM_GEN1

Went to:

Android Version: 3.0.1
Kernel Version: 2.6.36.3 (note, the -00001 and such after the kernel number appears to now be gone)
Build Number: Acer_A500_1.141.07_COM_GEN1

It didnt appear to break root - I still have Superuser available although I had to re-run Gingerbreak.

I'll detail any fixes I notice, but on XDA it is being reported that this update:

a) somewhat fixes the screen wake/sleep issue, although it is still occuring (will update once I have more use with it)
b) improves Wi-Fi signal significantly (I noticed slight issues before but nothing major, I'll be monitoring wifi signal to see if it is better)
c) improves GPS signal significantly (although I never noticed any issues with mine before)

I've noticed the device seems snappier although it could just be a placebo effect at this point.

The first time I tried to apply it, the update failed. The tab has to be plugged into a power supply in order for it to be successful.

Post here if you've got the update and notice any changes.

rasafrasit

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Install won't run for me but then I removed ALL of that @(/?/@:"ing bloatware so the ota is likely looking for a clean system, not a strictly unrooted one

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I can honestly say that I have not seen any difference yet. Then again, I fixed my screen issues by uninstalling weatherbug, never really had any issue with wifi, and never have used the GPS, so maybe I'm a bad example.

CubanoRafter

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So, I just happened to root my device using Gingerbreak 1.20 tonight.

Literally about 10 minutes later, I was prompted that a system update was available. I dont know if this was coincidence or if the rooting caused this to be seen as available. According to XDA, others are getting the update as well.

Confirming that the update came out to unrooted tabs too. I installed the update this morning and didn't plug it in to the power source (battery was at 87%). Update installed no problem. Will post back if I find anything not already recorded here...

Edit: My Gmail widget FC'd when it rebooted but I added it back and has been working fine since... Not sure what that was about

Last edited:

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I received the update but dont have exchange support... Strange... Not really seeing any big differences either.

Took 3 tries and a reboot to get the update to install though

CubanoRafter

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I had to go back and re-enable Wi-Fi disconnect policy -> from "when screen turns off" back to "Never".
Not sure if that was affected by the update.

BenS_aTm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I received the update but dont have exchange support... Strange... Not really seeing any big differences either.

Took 3 tries and a reboot to get the update to install though

I read in another forum that one guy bought his last night and it came stock with Corporate support. That was when I checked and it was added on mine.

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I read in another forum that one guy bought his last night and it came stock with Corporate support. That was when I checked and it was added on mine.

Were are you seeing this Corp Support for Exchange ? Nothing showing up on the default mail program....

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ack... Ok found it, soo use to just setting up directly through the mail application. However, looks like Android vanilla flavor honeycomb still does not have all the necessary Enterprise security settings needed.

Luckily we are also using Gmail Enterprise apps so I can grab my email through there too...

BenS_aTm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Ack... Ok found it, soo use to just setting up directly through the mail application. However, looks like Android vanilla flavor honeycomb still does not have all the necessary Enterprise security settings needed.

Luckily we are also using Gmail Enterprise apps so I can grab my email through there too...

That would depend on your system's security. I run my own exchange server, so I allowed it :)

kapaa1980

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I got my update this morning. My first try with the update failed. It just froze for 15min on on unzippingthe file. So with fear in my heart I held the power button down to shut down. Luckily it powered back up and the update went through. :D

ibarray

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Returning this tablet

Well the update just about left my table useless for what I wanted it for. After the update, if I pair my Bluetooth headphones with it, the WiFi drops intermittently. I used to be able to have both connected and have fairly good performance. I did a hard reset back to factory setting thinking maybe an app I had installed might have been causing issues. It still drops wifi offf and on while I use pandora or anything web based. I try to load a webpage and it loads about 25% then hangs.
I have exhausted everything I could think of that could resolve this. Upon looking futher into this, it shows my access point at 2 bars while standing next to it.
I am returning this tablet to bestbuy tomorrow while I am still under the 14 day period. Something this costly should not act this way.

damo

#teamandroid
May 25, 2011
Visit site
Still can't see van update. Am I missing something?

Settings, about tablet, software updates......your device is already up to date :-(

rasafrasit

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, found a zip on XDA with the apks, copied them the /system/apps and update installed without a problem. Had to reroot with Gingerbreak but a seamless process all things considered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt