Acer or Asus? opinions plz

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I am going to buy a tablet sometime in June.
I have been eying up the Asus and the Acer.
I wondering what made you choose the Acer over the other tablets?
Thanks,

thubalek

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm from Europe and Iconia was first Honeycomb Tablet available in our country. So choice was very easy then ;-)

I'm a developer so I needed ANY tablet for testing. But anyway I was surprised with tablet quality and I really like it.

Tom

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm from Europe and Iconia was first Honeycomb Tablet available in our country. So choice was very easy then ;-)

I'm a developer so I needed ANY tablet for testing. But anyway I was surprised with tablet quality and I really like it.

Tom

Dev support is another big factor on choosing what tablet to buy.
I was wondering which tablet would be most likely to have rooted custom roms.
I enjoy using custom roms on my DINC phone.
Are you a app dev or rom/mod dev? not that you are not both, but some devs lean more to one rather then the other

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I liked to overall look of the ASUS but the Acer A500 was much better due to its features.

What features does the Acer have the Asus does not, I thought both were identical in spec's except a few software add ons each put in.
Hopefully the software side will not matter if the devs develop custom roms, stable custom roms cant be beat imho

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The Acer has a full USB port built-in. The ASUS requires that you buy the keyboard dock separately to get that. Other than that, they're about identical. I really like my Acer and glad I got it over the ASUS. The ASUS is pretty much built around being a tablet that integrates with a dock, but honestly, most tablets have a dock already or one being made.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The Acer has a full USB port built-in. The ASUS requires that you buy the keyboard dock separately to get that. Other than that, they're about identical. I really like my Acer and glad I got it over the ASUS. The ASUS is pretty much built around being a tablet that integrates with a dock, but honestly, most tablets have a dock already or one being made.

Do you plan on rooting your Acer?
How much support development is going on with the devs? Do you think they will come out with custom roms for it?

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I haven't seen much reason to root a honeycomb tablet yet, unless there's missing functionality (ie: Xoom and microSD) or if you're trying to get rid of some of the bloatware. As for custom roms, I'm not sure, but I don't think that there aren't any ROMs made for any of the tablets yet. Seems like dev support is definitely there. Found a few posts on XDA with custom bootloaders.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I haven't seen much reason to root a honeycomb tablet yet, unless there's missing functionality (ie: Xoom and microSD) or if you're trying to get rid of some of the bloatware. As for custom roms, I'm not sure, but I don't think that there aren't any ROMs made for any of the tablets yet. Seems like dev support is definitely there. Found a few posts on XDA with custom bootloaders.

Thanks for your input.
Still torn between the two and the new samsung 10" tablet will be out 6/5, I will probably ad that into my viable options

Hitch

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Acer has the advantage of usb on the tablet itself, with the Asus you need the dock. but the Acer has the disadvantage of a locked bootloader. Hoping Acer will change their stance on this.

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you like the tablet into netbook functionality, plan on getting the dock, and the Asus is available where you are and you don't mind paying extra for the dock, then its the better choice. Personally, I like the full USB on the Iconia without having to hook it up to another peripheral. Keep in mind that 3.1 is going to bring a lot of USB functionality to Android and I believe having the utility of the port actually on the tablet itself shouldn't be understated.

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Do you plan on rooting your Acer?
How much support development is going on with the devs? Do you think they will come out with custom roms for it?

Not until we get custom recovery, which we lack atm because of the encrypted bootloader. Progress on that front has stalled while we press Acer for assistance.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I chose the Acer partly because I couldn't find the Asus anywhere. I have no real use for the docking station since I already own a laptop and my wife has a bluetooth keyboard she bought for her I pad that I could use if I needed to. I am looking forward to the 3.1 update to take advantage of the USB port. I considered waiting for the Galaxy tab 10.1 but the lack of micro SD killed that for me, but the weight and thinness were tempting.

Guticb

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Another thing that should not be understimated is the fact that the Asus has a beautiful IPS screen. It's a much nicer screen than the Acer's.

Edit: That's not to say that the Acer has a bad one by any stretch of the imagination, but the Transformer's screen is much better.

Last edited:

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I have both an iPad with an IPS screen and an Acer A500 and I agree the iPad screen stands out more. But it stands out the way TVs do at best buy - brightness and contrast cranked to 10. The Acer has the best non-IPS LCD I have ever seen, and I prefer it to some of the oversaturated IPS screens.

The reason I picked the Acer was the host USB port. Its very easy to load pics, transfer data on a flash drive, and even my Logitech USB wireless keyboard works perfectly on it. I have no regrets. The construction is first rate - aluminum and glass with very little plastic.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

bako88fan

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Acer at Costco and you can't beat the deal. For $479 I got a super portable tablet that can do everything I need. Between the USB ports and the HDMI as well as the built in wireless options and 32 GB of storage, I can't imagine using my laptop ever again. My daughter gets my $1000 laptop and I will easily throw my A500 in my bag or take it on a flight.

The cool thing is, I'm coming from an Evo and in a weekend I've barely touched my phone. When I do use my phone, it'll be for calls, texts and tendering my A500. I got my Evo a year ago and I've hardly put it down. But now, the Acer tablet is so much more functional that I decided to skip an Evo 3d and just keep the OG Evo.

If you're looking at a tablet I would highly recommend the Acer. It's way more value for the money.

4 Star General

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781