mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello a510 users. I was hoping you could give me some feedback on whether or not you experience lag in certain situations on your tablet. Here's the deal:

I have the Asus 300, which I like, but one problem I have with it is its inability to multi-task when I'm downloading or updating apps from the Play Store. I have used the System Panel Lite app to monitor the cores' production while updating or downloading and what I've noticed is an almost complete dropoff of processing, except for in the core that handles the Play Store. In real-life terms, it means that the tablet becomes almost unusable while I'm updating or downloading apps, and it only seems to happen with the Play Store. I can stream music or play it from memory and there is no effect on the other cores.

I also have the Acer a100 with the Tegra 2, and I never had this problem. As a matter of fact, I can update 2 apps at the same time, and I still don't notice any lag if I'm surfing the web, playing a game, or whatever. This led me to wonder if the problem is with the Tegra 3 or with Asus' software, so I asked Green Laser (AC member) if he was having similar experiences with his Asus 700. Sure enough, he also has serious lag when updating or downloading apps. That's two Asus tablets, both with Tegra 3's that struggle to multi-task, which leads me here to ask you guys and gals if you are having a similar experience. Green Laser and I would really like to determine if it's the Tegra 3 or Asus' software that causes this problem.

So:

Do you have noticeable lag with internet, games, or anything else at the same time you are updating or downloading apps?
Or do you notice lag at any other times on a consistent basis that you can accurately attribute to a certain process?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Cant say I've noticed any lag at all.

Thanks for the feedback janjwalt! So, when you're updating large apps, the tablet doesn't lag at all, right? I just need to confirm, so that I have a complete picture of whether the problems I'm seeing on my tablet are a result of the Tegra 3 or Asus' software. Thanks again.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
After looking into it more regarding my Asus 300, many people pointed out that the I/O Schedulers that Asus chose to use were crap, and that's why the tablet underperformed the way it did. BUt I always had a feeling that the Tegra 3 chip also played a part. Now that I know that you're also experiencing the same problems, it lends more credence to my "Tegra 3 is Crap" theory, so thanks for the response. Needless to say, I will never buy another Tegra powered device, and I'm pretty much done with Asus as well. My tablet is so laggy now that when I first turn it on, I have to let it sit there for 5-10 minutes before I can even do anything. Surfing the web is an exercise in frustration so I don't do it anymore. Apps frequently force close, and yet Netflix works really well, so at least there's that!

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
No. When I first got my Asus, it was better. But then we got a couple of updates, I loaded up a bunch of apps, and then it just started bogging down. This lends credence to the I/O schedulers being crap, but even though it runs a little better with less used memory, it's still a laggy mess no matter what.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae