I have to unlock every time I switch on

Inchiquin

Sep 4, 2020
Visit site
I have an Alcatel 4010X which I bought to replace a Nokia 4310. Both were registered to the Virgin network and I used the same SIM on both. However, I didn't like Virgin's data charging model so I reverted to using the Nokia. Last year I bought an O2 SIM and got an unlock code from Virgin (actually two 8-digit codes which were both needed). I unlocked the phone successfully and started using the O2 SIM but then inadvertently allowed it to lapse and deactivate after not using it for a long time. I continued using the Virgin SIM on the Nokia.

I have now bought a new SIM from 1p Mobile which works but I need to unlock the phone every time I switch it on (using Virgin's Code 2 but not Code 1). Why is this happening? Surely the phone was unlocked from Virgin last year so how has it apparently re-locked itself?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you clarify which phone you're referring to -- the Alcatel or the Nokia? The Nokia is a featurephone, not an Android phone, and the Alcatel is quite ancient (7 years old, presumably still running Gingerbread).

Some carrier SIMs will lock a phone to their network. Have you spoken to Virgin about this?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Inchiquin

Sep 4, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you clarify which phone you're referring to -- the Alcatel or the Nokia? The Nokia is a featurephone, not an Android phone, and the Alcatel is quite ancient (7 years old, presumably still running Gingerbread).

Some carrier SIMs will lock a phone to their network. Have you spoken to Virgin about this?

Yes, it's the Alcatel that is the problem. And yes, it's running Gingerbread. Is this a significant disadvantage? I've never really needed a smartphone before since the Nokia was perfectly good enough for calls and texts which was all I wanted. Would Gingerbread be a problem if I want to install some more modern apps, for example?

I haven't asked Virgin because I assumed that as they gave me unlock codes that would be the end of it. I'll see if I can get a response from them but technically I'm no longer a Virgin customer so I'm not sure whether they will be willing to help. I can at least use the phone but it does mean I have to remember an 8-digit number every time.

Alan

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, a phone stuck on an ancient OS version like Gingerbread will be severely limited. Many apps these days won't be able to run on it, and in fact a lot of Google's own services won't be compatible any more. More importantly, there are a number of unpatched security flaws. I would strongly recommend against using the phone.

Inchiquin

Sep 4, 2020
Visit site
Yes, a phone stuck on an ancient OS version like Gingerbread will be severely limited. Many apps these days won't be able to run on it, and in fact a lot of Google's own services won't be compatible any more. More importantly, there are a number of unpatched security flaws. I would strongly recommend against using the phone.

Many thanks, that's very useful. Buying a new phone will solve my unlock problem as well.

Alan

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I would also recommend a new phone. Make sure it is on at least Android Pie if it is a budget phone but for £349 from Argos you can get a pixel 4a which is on the latest version of Android and will get updates for the next 3 years. Also it is plain Android with no frills and the camera is amazing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084