Idol 4 on Cricket, cant send emoji

Dudebro1990

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
A friend of mine just got an Alcatel Idol 4 on Cricket, and she cannot send Emoji. She can receive and see emoji from anyone, but she can't send it. It always comes up as a blank text.

I have tried everything I can think of. I made sure her Send SMS as simple characters setting is off. Tried different text apps, different keyboards, and tried a factory reset. Nothing works.

I was able to replicate it on my phone by enabling the send SMS as simple characters, but thats not checked on her phone. But im guessing thats whats going on somehow.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is she able to send MMS messages (i.e., texts with photos attached)?

Dudebro1990

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is she able to send MMS messages (i.e., texts with photos attached)?

She is able to send MMS messages, and we were also able to discover recently that if she attaches something like a picture and then put Emoji in the text portion of the message it will actually show the Emoji since it's an MMS message but she still can't send them just in a regular text message.

Dudebro1990

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
I am not on cricket but I am on ATT.

If she texted herself it doesn't show up either. Not sure if that eliminates it being carrier issue. I will have her try that out and report back.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Tell her to contact Cricket tech support. If the first person she talks to has no clue, ask for a tier 2 support person.

Dudebro1990

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Can confirm this works! She actually got on the phone with Alcatel, and they walked her through. Wanted to confirm this in case anyone else has this problem. Thanks Chevy1991 and B Diddy.

Cindy Rogers

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
go into your default messenger app and click the three lines on the top left corner go to settings go to advanced and click on alphabet management change it from super compact to Auto format that should fix your problem.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, this actually worked for me. It think it was Chevy1991 that suggested this fix to get emoji's to work on my android phone. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781