Just picked up the Idol 4

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
So I'm in between phones right now and I picked up the Idol 4. Honestly I was expecting more from this phone so I have mixed feelings whether it's any good or not. Anyone else feel a little let down by all the lag this phone has? Anyone happy with theirs. Next week when I get paid I'm heading straight to best buy and getting the Moto Z Play. This device just isn't making the cut.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought you already had the Z Play (twice). I guess after using such a powerful and smooth phone the Idol could be a bit of a disappointment.

So I'm in between phones right now and I picked up the Idol 4. Honestly I was expecting more from this phone so I have mixed feelings whether it's any good or not. Anyone else feel a little let down by all the lag this phone has? Anyone happy with theirs. Next week when I get paid I'm heading straight to best buy and getting the Moto Z Play. This device just isn't making the cut.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't say anything about the OS that Alcatel uses, but the device was released a year ago, and using hardware that was at least another year older. I don't know if there is much that can be said for a device that is arguably 2 years old.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
With the tick/tock of early/late, it's really 1 1/2 generations old at this point (Feb 2016). The SD617 was a low-priced workhorse... but it won't win any foot races. The 4S was significantly faster (but more expensive of course).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't say anything about the OS that Alcatel uses, but the device was released a year ago, and using hardware that was at least another year older. I don't know if there is much that can be said for a device that is arguably 2 years old.

The 617 is a capable chip, however in the honor 5x, it lagged a bit and on the moto g4 plus, it had overheating problems leading to heavy throttling when pushed.
But... On the ZTE zmax pro, it ran really well. Little throttling and great battery life.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The 617 is a capable chip, however in the honor 5x, it lagged a bit and on the moto g4 plus, it had overheating problems leading to heavy throttling when pushed.
But... On the ZTE zmax pro, it ran really well. Little throttling and great battery life.

I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the chipset. For most people, even some who frequent our forums, a 617 would be just fine. Everyone getting a SD 800 series would be like a person who uses a PC for web browsing getting a Kaby Lake 7600K. Kind of overkill.

I would honestly suspect the skinned OS to be hamstringing the 617 more than anything.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the chipset. For most people, even some who frequent our forums, a 617 would be just fine. Everyone getting a SD 800 series would be like a person who uses a PC for web browsing getting a Kaby Lake 7600K. Kind of overkill.

I would honestly suspect the skinned OS to be hamstringing the 617 more than anything.
Could be OS... Could be that there cheaped out on the heatsink. Or a combination.

fdalbor

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I find the phone quite good as far as operation. It even plays high end game like Real Racing 3 without any lag. The only complaint i have is the battery does not last the whole day, aside from that its on a level with the Moto G4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis