Root the At&T Cameox?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you can unlock the bootloader, you might try Magisk. (Just be sure you have a copy of the firmware to reflash if it messes things up really badly. And back up anything you don't already have backed up before you try any rooting.)

Phil Newsome

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
Root the AT&T [Alcatel] Cameox Android 7

New to this discipline and write to inquire... Apparently, different root tools do not necessarily yield the same result. For the AT&T/Alcatel "Cameox" what tools exist? Guidance sought.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Root the AT&T [Alcatel] Cameox Android 7

The web seems full of people asking, but no one posting a way of doing it.

Understand one thing - to root a phone, you have to find an exploit that allows you to cause the phone to start in rooted mode. That means a lot of developers trying a lot of things for a lot of times. Since the CameoX isn't a phone that developers are likely to buy, there aren't a lot of people working on rooting it - and it may never get rooted. If you want a rootable phone, the first thing you do is look around the web for phones that will work with your carrier, and that rooting methods have been found for. (And a rooting method only holds true for that version of the ROM - once it's published, Alcatel will write an "update" that will patch the exploit.)

So I don't think you're going to have much luck rooting that phone. But keep watching https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/help/root-access-alcatel-idealxcite-5044rhelp-t3637833, because if anyone finds one, that's where it will be seen first. (Ignore the "unrootable because it has dm-verity" comment - a lot of rooted phones do/did.)

A

Android Central Question

Alcatel Cameox 5044R Who in this membership can comment about rooting?

Presently have an online manual from another URL. for this phone the seems to contradict its own instructions. Perhaps there is, in this membership, one who might bring some expertise to my first attempt to root a phone.
Have yet to find success rates for the rooting of this phone and would want to have as much verifiable information as possible.

Phil Newsome

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
Android Root Query

If there is rooting knowledge in this community I seek some guidance with research. Have the Alcatel 5044R "Cameox" See assorted material some of which is questionable and so I write to the community for the best documentation available.Cameox Image.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android Root Query

About the only way I see to root that phone (all the "one-click" rooting methods carry risk) is if Magisk works on it, but there's no TWRP yet, (go to AT&T ALCATEL IDEALXCITE CAMEOX 5044R Root and TWRP Recovery might be Released after a few months - NewsVivs and read - it's still true), so you could try Releases · topjohnwu/Magisk · GitHub, install the app, then either find a ROM and pull the boot.img file from it or pull boot.img from your phone (you'll have to research that one for yourself) or - maybe - Magisk will ask if you want to install the zip.

If not, you'll just have to wait. (Some phones are jumped on by developers at release, and a lot is found out in weeks - others, not so popular, aren't ever looked at by developers and never get root [or TWRP].)

Phil Newsome

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
Re: Android Root Query

Greetings and thank you for your timely reply.

Much appreciation for sharing your knowledge. Have wanted to try a root with adequate guidance and I am willing to wait. In that regard... I would want to configure this phone for wifi only and no contract. If there is guidance on how to do so that would be appreciated. I close

Respectfully,
Phil

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site