External SD card issues

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Unless I'm doing something wrong, beware that 3rd party apps like QuickPic, ES File manager, etc. will NOT be able to write, modify or delete files from your sd card. I've tried 2 different brands of sd cards that work just fine in other phones. Consider this: Other phones that are also running Android 5.0.2 such as the Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 do not have this problem. The native apps on the Idol 3 such as "File Manager", "Gallery", etc. have no problem accessing and deleting the files. No reviews of this phone mentioned this problem. Would someone who has installed an external SD card please see if you have the same problem with ES (or Solid) file managers? The SD card like I saw shows under storage and native apps have no problem so it can't be the card(s).With only 16GBs of internal storage this is going to be a HUGE problem.

classiclady

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I just bought the Alcatel Idol 3 and during set-up I find I can not transfer games to my sd card. I know some games are transferable that is not the case here.
I have Clean Master which I also had on a prior phone. Using Cleanmaster I could transfer my games to sd card with no issue. I can not do it using Clean Master
on this phone. Transfering files to an sd card should not be an issue with a smartphone!!! Alcatel what are doing?? I am not finding this phone user friendly and
the manuel is terrible. When I try to transfer the phone says the internal memory is the same as the sd card so no need to transfer ! That makes no sense to me.
I saw some method of solution on line but one needs to be a computer geek to follow the instructions. Does anyone know what is going on? This is going
to be a hugh issue with Alcatel. I am not a happy consumer at the moment. Can anyone give me advice?

Thank You.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Moving games to SD card works fine on my Idol 3 and I didn't have to use an app like Clean Master.

Settings>apps>select game>move to SD card

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

classiclady

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks so much for your response to my SD card issue. I have always used Clean Master in the past and it would not make the transfer on this phone.
I did not even try going through the settings on my phone. You are absolutely right! I would like to see Alcatel make a better manual. On my ZTE I can
search a question I have in the search bar on the manuel and it takes me right to the page I need to locate the information to my question. The set up
on Alcatel's manual is aweful.

Thanks Again for the help

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my 64GB sdxc card and even after formatting it to Fat32 my Idol 3 still won't let me move files on it with 3rd party apps (Quickpic, ES File Explorer, etc). It was fine with my old 16GB card so idk what the problem is.

Posted via the Android Central App

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm still having this problem. It's not letting me delete, write to or modify the SD card with any 3rd party apps (like Quickpic or ES File Explorer). I emailed Alcatel about it and they're blaming Lollipop smh. Like I said before I already tried formatting it and no luck smh. If I reformat it again I'll lose everything on it. Can't get help anywhere..

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm still having this problem. It's not letting me delete, write to or modify the SD card with any 3rd party apps (like Quickpic or ES File Explorer). I emailed Alcatel about it and they're blaming Lollipop smh. Like I said before I already tried formatting it and no luck smh. If I reformat it again I'll lose everything on it. Can't get help anywhere..

I noticed this too last night. I have Solid Explorer Pro that I used on my Marshmallow Nexus 5. On my Idol 3, I noticed I was able to copy/paste between internal and external storage using the native File Explorer app, Solid Explorer, I tried ES too, same thing I can't copy/paste between internal and external. When I tried to copy to the SD card from Solid Explorer, I get a message from Solid Explorer stating I need to grant access on the next window that shows. The next window does not show external only internal storage, that is the issue I am having. I noticed others were having this issue on Solid Explorer's support forum, hopefully Marshmallow fixes this
Can't select the root SD folder to grant the Lollipop SD card permission | Solid Explorer
.Capture.JPG

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it worked with my old 16GB card but not the new 64GB card. I don't think it's because of Lollipop though. I think Alcatel just doesn't wanna fix it.
The built-in stock file manager doesn’t have the same features as ES File Explorer. U can copy and paste files but u can't move them.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, last night I had a little time, so I used the GUI tool from the XDA link above to format my card to FAT32 and it worked, it is now being seen and I was able to grant Solid Explorer rights to the card along with AirDroid. I really didn't want to move away from exFat, but at least it is being seen and I can grant rights to the external SD card.
I first backed up my card's contents to my computer as this will format (erase) all content from the card.

Last edited:

MarkSeven

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, last night I had a little time, so I used the GUI tool from the XDA link above to format my card to FAT32 and it worked, it is now being seen and I was able to grant Solid Explorer rights to the card along with AirDroid. I really didn't want to move away from exFat, but at least it is being seen and I can grant rights to the external SD card.
I first backed up my card's contents to my computer as this will format (erase) all content from the card.

I'll try it again when I have time. Thanks.

Brian Palajsa

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I know a little late but i just regrettable bought this thinking it was updated to 5.1.1 and is just the most un-user friendly device i ever used but this App i found solved some of those file issues, it on Playstore ( ; X-Plore) its really a great App for all technical needs and No Adds, if you like buy the developers a beer, it really is essential till rooted because they not updating this till fall or winter of this year so Hope it Helps.

ElaineMeier9

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Once your Idol 3 updates to Marshmallow it will have the ability to "adopt" the SD card and it becomes part of the phone's actual memory. There is no more internal/external memory at that point and it doesn't matter where the apps land because it's all the same memory.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish