New owner, tips, questions

08HybridOK

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
So I just snagged 3idols 3s from cricket for $99ea, seems like a great deal.

I've been on virgin for many years, so any tips tricks for my first GSM phone? My last phone was a S3, and this seems to kick its but.

Im planning a trip to Belize in a few months, I know Cricket won't work there, but now that I have sim card type phone, will my phone work there? What will I need to do if so?

Ordered a evocel case already, screen protector, plastic or glass? I tend to toss my phone in my pocket with my keys, and usually get a lot of light scratches.

Not sure I wanna root, but what tips tricks apps are a must?

Tia

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Im planning a trip to Belize in a few months, I know Cricket won't work there, but now that I have sim card type phone, will my phone work there? What will I need to do if so?
Check with Cricket about this. You might have to ask Cricket to unlock the phone for use with another carrier abroad, but I'm not sure if the criteria listed here will prevent you from doing so this early: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/apps-and-services/device-unlock/customer/device-unlock.html

08HybridOK

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, it will be like 5 months 3 weeks... How do I find out my phone would even work in Belieze? (it has the right hardware?)

I don't like change, is there a similar email app to the Galaxy S3? or something better than the stock? (I have 3 sbc/yahoo email accounts, and last I tried the yahoo email app I really hated it!, but that was a long time ago)

08HybridOK

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Also how do I quickly change location settings? From power saving to high & back? On my s3 I just hold location in the top drop down menu thing...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How do I find out my phone would even work in Belieze? (it has the right hardware?)
If you know which carrier you'd be using in Belize, you can do a Google search to find out which network bands it uses, and make sure the phone is compatible with those bands. Which exact Idol 3 do you have?

I don't like change, is there a similar email app to the Galaxy S3? or something better than the stock?
Sorry, I can't really answer this, not knowing exactly what the S3's stock Email app was like. There are a number of 3rd party email client apps available in the Google Play Store, so give them a try (like Aqua Mail, MailDroid, and K-9).

Also how do I quickly change location settings? From power saving to high & back? On my s3 I just hold location in the top drop down menu thing...
This may differ from phone to phone. Usually, if you tap the Location toggle in the Quick Settings (when you swipe down from the top with 2 fingers), it sends you to the Location system menu, where you can change the accuracy. The ability to do it on the fly by long-pressing the toggle depends on the phone's software.

08HybridOK

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
If you know which carrier you'd be using in Belize, you can do a Google search to find out which network bands it uses, and make sure the phone is compatible with those bands. Which exact Idol 3 do you have?

Looks like according to a website i found, Staying Connected in Belize | Frommer's, I need an unlocked 1900Mhz unlocked GSM phone; but guess that's moot as per a Chat session with Cricket, I can't unlock until 6 months, my trip will be aprox 5 months after purchase... =(

I have a Cricket labeled 5" Idol 3 (5.5"?) which leads to another question, is there only 1 variation, or is Cricket like VM & has their own cheap/knockoff whatever you want to call it version of the phone? in other words, besides saying Cricket on the back panel, is it identical to one of the $200-$250 unlocked off the shelf idols? [obviously locked to Cricket for 6 months]

I'm also missing the facebook little red #'s when I get notifications (on the homescreen app, my S3 would show a red circle with a #), the stock email app does this to show how many new emails I have (so did my S3)

This may differ from phone to phone. Usually, if you tap the Location toggle in the Quick Settings (when you swipe down from the top with 2 fingers), it sends you to the Location system menu, where you can change the accuracy. The ability to do it on the fly by long-pressing the toggle depends on the phone's software.
When I click on location, it just turns it on/off, not an option to select high/saver/gps only options

Advantages to rooting? I'm just an avg user; FB, youtube, email, web, music.... possible to enable wifi hotspot?

Does the phone vibrate when making a phone call, or am I bumping something with my face everytime?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
There are several idol 3 variants. 6045I (US/CAN), 6045Y (EU), 6045K (dual sim). The Cricket branded idol 3 is not a knock off. It should be the same as 6045I once it's unlocked.

08HybridOK

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
There are several idol 3 variants. 6045I (US/CAN), 6045Y (EU), 6045K (dual sim). The Cricket branded idol 3 is not a knock off. It should be the same as 6045I once it's unlocked.

Cool, sick of Virgins rip off's....
It does says 6045 O on back cover & about phone....

plastic or tempered glass protector? (i've only used plastic on my S3) is the idol screen 'softer' than a S3?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Cool, sick of Virgins rip off's....
It does says 6045 O on back cover & about phone....

plastic or tempered glass protector? (i've only used plastic on my S3) is the idol screen 'softer' than a S3?
The idol 3 has 2.5 D dragontrail glass instead of gorilla glass. It's supposed to be more scratch resistant but shatters easier than the GG 2 used on s3. I suggest Nillkin tempered glass protector due to the curved edges. It looks and feels great and is pretty easy to apply.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc