Alexa vs Google

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Anybody able to offer experience between Alexa and Google?

I just ordered the Echo Auto. Anybody have current user experience with the Echo Auto?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
YouTube. There are dozens of videos comparing the two. One that I watched went into detail about which was more connected and able to do things on your device and around your home. Honestly the differences were slight but it depends on what you expect it do as to which is more useful.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've found that Alexa controls my lights in my bedroom thru the Smart Life app better than Google.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't use echo auto but I use the echo frames for my hands free when in the car. It is more private since others cannot hear what is being said on the other end. Besides they are more comfortable because nothing is jammed down the ear canal like the echo buds.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't use echo auto but I use the echo frames for my hands free when in the car. It is more private since others cannot hear what is being said on the other end. Besides they are more comfortable because nothing is jammed down the ear canal like the echo buds.

I have the Echo auto being delivered today. I'm afraid it's not going to live up to my expectations. I'm hoping it will be actively listening for the wake word without the Alexa app open and running, but I don't think it does.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I have Echo Auto. I bought one whenever they first rolled out. Used on both my car and bike. Love it. Now that I upgraded my head unit on my motorcycle, I have it built in to where the Echo Auto hub is now stationary in the car. I use an array of voice command services and each one to me has its own perks.

It's cheap enough to buy, very easy to setup and use. No cons that I can think of. The head unit that I bought for my bike is the Kenwood bt778hd if you want to have one of each to include Alexa already built in.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have Echo Auto. I bought one whenever they first rolled out. Used on both my car and bike. Love it. Now that I upgraded my head unit on my motorcycle, I have it built in to where the Echo Auto hub is now stationary in the car. I use an array of voice command services and each one to me has its own perks.

It's cheap enough to buy, very easy to setup and use. No cons that I can think of. The head unit that I bought for my bike is the Kenwood bt778hd if you want to have one of each to include Alexa already built in.

Do you have to have the app open on your phone, or is she actively listening for your commands? Does it respond just like an Echo Dot?

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
I never close my app on my phone. Although I have several hubs in my home. So whenever I'm traveling she's still active on my phone plus I'm using the Alexa Auto whether the unit itself or my stereo head unit. She will respond to whichever unit is closer. They do not interfere with each other and work as a team.

But yes, always open on my phone 24/7/365...

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I never close my app on my phone. Although I have several hubs in my home. So whenever I'm traveling she's still active on my phone plus I'm using the Alexa Auto whether the unit itself or my stereo head unit. She will respond to whichever unit is closer. They do not interfere with each other and work as a team.

But yes, always open on my phone 24/7/365...

Well to answer my own question, the Echo Auto does indeed function just like an Echo Dot. The auto is always listening whether the app is running or not. Perfect for me. The issue with the app, if you don't have it open and the screen open, the app will not respond to the wake word.

Even if the app is open, your phone's screen will time out eventually and go to your lock screen.

Ranjen617

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Actually my Alexa will respond on my phone. Lock screen or not, she responds to me. Actually as anyone knows, at times you don't need her as well. Lol. But yes, the Alexa Auto is just a different version of any other Alexa. Just made for autos and packaged with a car charger. Different way to charge and smaller device, that's all.
Now I will say this much. My head unit on my bike has me seriously spoiled. It's one of the few units I've ever seen to adopt Alexa. For instance, I can have my GPS going, music playing and receive or dial out plus ask Alexa where to pick up the best hamburger at. Pretty much feels like my Note20 Ultra is built in as well. Only thing I have to worry about is controlling the bike and watching for others. I just talk to the stereo if I need help and it's done, hands-free.

Here's the link of what I have if you want to go that route.

On edit: I have Siri as well.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...8HD%2FKenwood-KDC-BT778HD.html&token=kHYljRqn

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The echo auto did just what I wanted it to. But I have a Premium YT subscription and I was having a hard time convincing myself to give it up and go all-in with Amazon Alexa. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a supporter of Amazon. I have the Show dock on my nightstand and one Dot that is not being used. I have a Google mini on my nightstand, one in my office and a brand new one in the box. I decided to try the Google Nest. Works great. Moved the mini from my nightstand to the living room. Using Google on my phone in the truck the same way I was with the Echo Auto. Just returned the Auto yesterday.

I will say that the Alexa app is more polished and has better features of setting lighting conditions. I can make my lights dim to a specific % and color with an Alexa routine. I don't have that much control with Google Routines.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
lol, I don't know what possessed my 14yr old to want Google in his bedroom, but he did. So I moved the Google mini from the living room to his bedroom, put in some smart bulbs in his ceiling fan and set him up with his own voice recognition. Cant set a routine yet, so I'll have to do some trial and error a little more.