Phone for Seniors to connect to Show

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Looks like you need an android 5.0 or greater phone to connect and use the calling features of an echo Show.

I bought one for my Mom who isn't savy, at all. I thought just saying, "Alexa, call my son." Would be great. Come to find out you need to receive a text on the phone number you will use to set up the device for her.

What is the simplest android phone she can use? She has a really old flip phone, now. Could I get her a Google Voice number (maybe that's not what it is called, I can't remember the term) to use for her current mobile phone number?

Help.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Call her carrier and ask if they can port from Google Voice. (I know GV can't [or won't] port from landlines, I don't know if they allow port-outs, I've never tried.) But I don't see how that would help, except that she could use Hangouts on a computer to call you from a GV number. If you port it to a cellphone, it's just a phone number being used by a cellphone.

As for a cheap phone, you can probably find an older gently used one on Letgo, or even go with a cheaper Straight Talk or Walmart phone from Walmart.

But you can tell Google Assistant to make calls, you don't need a phone and an Echo Show. (This is coming from a 76 year old "senior", if you insist - I still feel like a 16 year old with a little arthritis. We "old people" can still learn things.)

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Call her carrier and ask if they can port from Google Voice. (I know GV can't [or won't] port from landlines, I don't know if they allow port-outs, I've never tried.) But I don't see how that would help, except that she could use Hangouts on a computer to call you from a GV number. If you port it to a cellphone, it's just a phone number being used by a cellphone.

As for a cheap phone, you can probably find an older gently used one on Letgo, or even go with a cheaper Straight Talk or Walmart phone from Walmart.

But you can tell Google Assistant to make calls, you don't need a phone and an Echo Show. (This is coming from a 76 year old "senior", if you insist - I still feel like a 16 year old with a little arthritis. We "old people" can still learn things.)

Completely agree Rukbat, there's always another solution! BTW good advice given 👍

4Daluvofnikki

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
You can use the Google Voice Number to set it up. I’ve has d a GV number for years now. It has a voicemail section so I assume it can receive the text code you’ll need to set it up. Besides I read on the Amazon Product page a person said he used his GV number to setup his Echo.