Fire TV vs Nexus Player (opinions please)

David Erato

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I've been a devoted Apple fan for years. I've had all 3 versions of the Apple TV. But if Apple doesn't do anything in this space at their next event in March, I'm moving on.

I want something faster, with faster wifi (I also finally ditched Apple routers and I'm happy). Apps like spotify and plex, and a better UI. We're big Netflix/hulu users, as well as Prime members, though we rarely watch prime video. I don't use plex now with very young children but I see a future where it is useful, and I have hundreds of dvds I would like to backup to a home server.

The only reviews of these two boxes are at release, and I'm wondering if they have improved since launch. Has either voice search gained functionality into Netflix/hulu? Does either put Netflix/hulu content in the recently played list? Any other improvements since launch?

It seems Fire TV had better reviews than the Nexus Player, though I think I like the UI a bit more. How are the Netflix/hulu apps on either? I've always liked Apple's UI over apps on Blu-ray or our Panasonic tv. It seems higher resolution, which is also why I'm avoiding the roku.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for your opinions.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.

Magnesus

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I have both, so I can chime in. While Fire TV has MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better remote the hardware is very similar. The gamepad is better quality on Fire TV although too big for me. They both can't play HEVC encoded movies. As far as UI goes I hate both.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I have both as well. I love having the Nexus Player because it is stock Android. The Fire TV is my "cable box" in my Xbox though because I use the new DirecTV Now service and the Chromecast version is meh. They both have their points: basically, if you like to tinker, Nexus Player wins. If you want convenience and Alexa (damn good assistant), Fire TV/Stick wins.